84 Toyota pickup tdi swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's my next build post
84 Toyota pickup xtra cab
Installed a 98 tdi motor (AHU)
Five speed, northwest fab adapter plate.
Elocker, lots of rust repair, bigger turbo, oversized injectors, tuned, 18psi of boost

currently working on bodywork/paint

Will start from beginning and add the pictures.
Gets about 30mpg, 130 horsepower and 250 ft/lbs of torque

IMG_0470.jpeg

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_0749.jpeg

IMG_1119.jpeg

IMG_1134.jpeg

I got the top and refreshed after 10,000km since I was tuning and planned of doing the head gasket anyway.

Build an adapter from turbo to exhaust mani, once it ran and drove I started on body work.

Built my own wiring harness, easier than expected. Undercoated the frame, waxed/oiled the inside of the frame.
Re sealed most of the seam sealer on the truck as well.

IMG_1459.jpeg

IMG_2097.jpeg

IMG_2400.jpeg

IMG_3473.jpeg

IMG_0188.jpeg

Here is what I got done for paint last September. Don't have a spray booth so it has to be spring/summer in order for me to paint inside my car tent.

At this point it's just the cab and box that needs painted and then small engine bay/interior put together and it's done!

7DFD3F73-0790-46AE-8DF9-B1C77C7950FB.jpeg

IMG_5190.jpeg

9A3DE763-B5C5-401E-A434-FD440BB2B88E.jpeg

IMG_3761.jpeg

IMG_3766.jpeg

What a cool build, I can honestly say I've yet to see VW engine in one of these trucks. I'm super green when it comes to diesel tech but how are these VW engines? I've never been a fan of German cars but mostly due to ignorance.

What intercooler do you have tucked in front of that radiator?

What a cool build, I can honestly say I've yet to see VW engine in one of these trucks. I'm super green when it comes to diesel tech but how are these VW engines? I've never been a fan of German cars but mostly due to ignorance.
They are awesome. Very economical. Light weight and smooth. The PD diesels have some cam wear issues but even then usually get 80-150k out of them. Keep the proper oil in them and change timing belt every 80k. Don't be tempted to run wvo or waste motor oil in them, they seem to coke badly. The PD engines are about 10% less economical. They make stupid torque by 2000 rpms, make sure you fit them to a good clutch. Great on road diesels compared to something like the 4bt and you don't need a one ton suspension/axles or transmission to handle the torque pulse.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom