4 Speed Flywheel vs. 3 Speed Flywheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserkreutz

SILVER Star
Threads
Without getting into a long story, is there a way to tell the difference between a 4 speed flywheel and a 3 speed flywheel by looking at them? I don't have them near by, so I can't get a picture of mine.

Thanks,
Justin

If you have seen the attached clutch a “3 speed” clutch and ‘74 uses a three finger clutch with coil springs and a 4-speed ‘75+ is a diaphragm type clutch.

Unfortunately they look the same to me. Are there markings or maybe tooth count that would differentiate the two?

I would think the part numbers on them would be different.

The flywheel for a 3 finger clutch (typically associated with a 3 speed trans) has a raised lip or edge or step all the way around the outer edge of the face of the flywheel that the clutch bolts to. This should be machined when the rest of the flywheel is. The diaphragm clutch (typically associated with 4 speed) is flat across the face of the flywheel.

The F flywheel clutch surface is recessed
1702604739879.jpeg

The 2F clutch surface is slightly raised like a typical GM or most others
1702604839825.jpeg

Sorry for muddying the water....but. What would the flywheel look like foe the 40 series h55f 5 speed
Either. The flywheel or the clutch don’t care what trans is behind them. They just care they are with the right parts. So 3 finger flywheel needs the 3 finger clutch, pivot ball, throw out, clutch fork and same for diaphragm style.

That said, diaphragm is a lot easier to setup and less pedal effort. 3 finger flywheel is heavier so some say better off-roading as it will tolerate lower rpm’s without stalling due to the added weight. I have the 3 finger in my 40 with the 4 speed. I have the diaphragm in my 60 with H55.

Last edited:
Its greater mass means it's less prone to stalling due to its higher inertia.
I didn’t want to try to explain it and mess it up.

Please go back to your post #11 and change "will (can)" to "won't".
I think the wording is right as is. Maybe sounds funky how I wrote it, but just saying it stalls at a lower rpm than a lighter flywheel will.

I edited the wording to make more sense, we are saying the same thing, you just said it better than me.

I think the wording is right as is. Maybe sounds funky how I wrote it, but just saying it stalls at a lower rpm than a lighter flywheel will.
But it doesn't stall at lower RPM's. The greater inertia provides more reserve energy to assist the engine speed to avoid stalling.

Maybe @Living in the Past can confirm.

I think the number one reason Toyota went to a diaphragm clutch was the lower pedal pressure. In most cases a three finger can
provide better clamping pressures but you can overcome that with a larger diameter diaphragm clutch. Most of my clutch swapping
has been with V-8 conversions because the power differences from one V-8 to the next are wide. The FJ40 is pretty much figured out
by Toyota. Most people will be happy with the stock clutch and it's ability to harness the modest amount of torque and horsepower.
I have, on the other hand personally played with the variety of other clutches in V-8s with 2-400hp. I had a 3 finger 4500lb "racing"
clutch in one setup that slipped annoyingly, especially when it got wet. I replaced it with a 12" 1600 lb and the pedal got lighter and it
never slipped again. The other problem with the heavy pedal clutches is they wear out the thrust bearings on the crankshaft. Every time
you step on the clutch you are pushing that crankshaft forward. The 4500lb clutch wore the crank bearings down in about 25,000 miles

But it doesn't stall at lower RPM's. The greater inertia provides more reserve energy to assist the engine speed to avoid stalling.

Maybe @Living in the Past can confirm.

No engineer just know once I finally located the correct carburetor for my 68 and it installed with the H42 it will crawl up steep inclines down to 400 RPM and not stall out.

One thing about the three finger pressure plate it has adjustments in the three finger. Diaphragm type does not. One time when I had my flywheel wheel and pressure plate resurfaced the pressure plate came back out of adjustment. Everytime when the clutch was engaged the vehicle would shake. The FSM shows how to adjust the fingers before installing. Would suggest double checking be for installed. I got lucky and managed to get it adjusted while installed.

Appears the flywheel/pressure plate changed happen 8/74.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom