2008-2015 LX vs 2018 GX Cargo Volume (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CactusHopper

aka PapaCruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
The 2018 GX has a stated 46.7 cubic feet behind the second row and the 2015 LX has a stated 41.1 cubic feet behind the second row. With 2nd row down, the LX states 83 and the GX states 65.
Is there really more cargo volume in the GX behind the 2nd row? This is contrary to every discussion online where owners state that LX has more cargo capacity. Based on the stats, that is only true with the 2nd row down. However, I don't think there's any debate there is more room behind the third row in the LX.... Is these things a Tardis or just different measurement methods?!

Many folks have guessed that it is due to the sliding 2nd row and the volume may be due to more 2nd row leg room in the LX. Stated legroom is only 0.3 inches more in the LX though - I don't see that accounting for a 10-15% difference... And either way, I would've expected the LX to have more volume behind the 2nd row than the GX, not equivalent.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

I’ve got both. Given the way the third row stows to the side in the 200, less room behind the second row in the 200 series than the gx. 200 series has a bit more length, but substantially less width. Take out the third row in the 200 and I bet they are much more similar.

I’ve got both. Given the way the third row stows to the side in the 200, less room behind the second row in the 200 series than the gx. 200 series has a bit more length, but substantially less width. Take out the third row in the 200 and I bet they are much more similar.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I've had a GX for a little while but feeling regret that I did not go with an LX. We are a family of 4 and looking at multi-week or even months road trips with camping and/or trailer. Some off-road but just forest roads, not rock crawling. The seat in the GX after a few hours is bothering me vs. our Mercedes E350 and the GX is just a bit bouncy. Looking to possibly exchange to an older mileage LX for more comfort long-term, better towing, and (I thought!) more rear cargo space. I am also thinking the LX would be easy to remove just one seat, so we would still have an extra single seat in the back, allowing for 6 passengers (4 adults and 2 kids or 2-4, which happens occasionally). Removing the GX seat is a bigger deal but also doable.

Any thoughts on our general situation? We have a great GX, I just feel it's a bit of a compromise for multi-day road trips with long stretches of driving. I have not driven an LX but plan to next week.

Thanks...

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I've had a GX for a little while but feeling regret that I did not go with an LX. We are a family of 4 and looking at multi-week or even months road trips with camping and/or trailer. Some off-road but just forest roads, not rock crawling. The seat in the GX after a few hours is bothering me vs. our Mercedes E350 and the GX is just a bit bouncy. Looking to possibly exchange to an older mileage LX for more comfort long-term, better towing, and (I thought!) more rear cargo space. I am also thinking the LX would be easy to remove just one seat, so we would still have an extra single seat in the back, allowing for 6 passengers (4 adults and 2 kids or 2-4, which happens occasionally). Removing the GX seat is a bigger deal but also doable.

Any thoughts on our general situation? We have a great GX, I just feel it's a bit of a compromise for multi-day road trips with long stretches of driving. I have not driven an LX but plan to next week.

Thanks...
The rhino rack on top of the gx helped tremendously with any cargo limitations. Was no issue to load up the top and give the occupants (3 - 4 people, 2 setters) plenty of room inside. Wanted a 200 series after driving one, though, and can tell you that it is a much more comfortable road trip car (though we had no big complaints with the gx). I’ve also got a full size rack on it, too, which solves a lot of issues

The rhino rack on top of the gx helped tremendously with any cargo limitations. Was no issue to load up the top and give the occupants (3 - 4 people, 2 setters) plenty of room inside. Wanted a 200 series after driving one, though, and can tell you that it is a much more comfortable road trip car (though we had no big complaints with the gx). I’ve also got a full size rack on it, too, which solves a lot of issues
The plan is a rack for the GX. So cargo space isn't a huge concern and we would be limited in either. I was just surprised.

The main reason is long-term road trip comfort for me (the driver). Second is better towing performance and options to tow larger/longer trailer if needed.

Just not sure it is worth going with a higher mileage LX at this point for those benefits, but sounds like many folks make that decision and are happy as long as the vehicle has been well serviced and rust free.

Thanks!

An LX without the 3rd row has substantially more cargo room than a GX, but with the 3rd row I'd say about equivalent having owned both. The GX space wider but shorter and higher up since the 3rd row folds into the floor. I prefer the lower load floor in the LX much more than the setup in my old GX, not to mention the amazing split tailgate.

Having been in a similar situation as yourself, I sold my '22 GX for a low mileage '08 LX and have been loving the change. If you do go the same route though don't expect the LX to be without faults. I remember before buying seeing all sorts of claims that these vehicles are indestructible and only require basic maintenance, but it's just not true. Yes they are tanks, but tanks still require maintenance and it adds up.

An LX without the 3rd row has substantially more cargo room than a GX, but with the 3rd row I'd say about equivalent having owned both. The GX space wider but shorter and higher up since the 3rd row folds into the floor. I prefer the lower load floor in the LX much more than the setup in my old GX, not to mention the amazing split tailgate.

Having been in a similar situation as yourself, I sold my '22 GX for a low mileage '08 LX and have been loving the change. If you do go the same route though don't expect the LX to be without faults. I remember before buying seeing all sorts of claims that these vehicles are indestructible and only require basic maintenance, but it's just not true. Yes they are tanks, but tanks still require maintenance and it adds up.
Thanks. I don't mind anticipated maintenance of common items. We will put 5k/yr mostly road tripping so even a 100k LX would only get to 150k over 10 years. A few maintenance items over that period is fine.

Not sure where my used mileage cutoff would be... 150k maybe??? That would get us to 200k in 10 years, but I'd prefer to have it for 10-15 years or even longer.

I think 80-110k would be my ideal, but there aren't many out there. Luckily I'm in Houston with a handful showing up all the time.

Thanks!

I saw your post on r/Land Cruisers as well, but thought it’s more worthwhile to respond here.

I have a 2016 LX and a 2021 GX Luxury. In terms of usable cargo area with the second and third rows down, I prefer the GX. The LX seats tilt forward and bounce around whereas the GX fold down and are almost flat. Something like a bicycle is hard to haul inside the LX but fits more easily in the GX. With just the third row down, the LX has more usable space behind the second row. It seems taller and wider. I think one of the components of the ML sound system in the GX takes away a little space above the wheel well in mine. When using all the seats in the LX, 7 adults can fit comfortably and you can haul 8 for shorter trips up to an hour or so since the third row does get cramped. I’ve never really used the third row in the GX since the LX just does it better. With both you’ll need a hitch mount or roof basket if you’re planning to take along a reasonable amount of cargo. Also worth noting that the type of car seat that clicks into the anchors at the bottom on the backrest can only be used in the second row. I can still fit two adults in the second row with a car seat…it’s not roomy but it’s not bad either.

In terms of comfort I find there’s a pretty big difference. The GX feels a lot more utilitarian with some high quality finishes and the LX feels like my LS on stilts. The GX feels lighter and much easier to drive and the LX feels heavy and requires effort. Because the GX is simpler and lighter, I believe it has lower running costs…the gas mileage seems to be at least a couple MPG better too. But I still find the LX premium to be worth the additional expense.

What helped with the bouncy ride was swapping out the large wheels that come on the newer models. I removed the 21s from the LX and put on 5x 20s from an 2009 and 275/60R20 Michelin Defenders (that same size also fits in the spare well). It specs exactly at 33” and the added sidewall really helps on the trail and increases ride comfort (stock tires according to my door sticker were 275/50R21). I keep the suspension in regular to prevent it from being floaty. The GX came with 19s (265/55R19) and I swapped them out for 18s from a 2013. The spare well won’t handle a bigger tire so I kept the stock sizing of 265/60R18 and also went with Michelin Defender LTXs. I keep the suspension in comfort and it really improved the ride. Still not the same as my LX, but not harsh either.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I’ll do my best to answer.

I drove both in 2013 model before getting the LX. The GX felt floaty and disconnected from the road at speed. LX felt unexpectedly comfortable in any terrain but still connected to the road. Wife and I love it and thus got the LX after a lengthy search during COVID. Now availability and price have improved.

I saw your post on r/Land Cruisers as well, but thought it’s more worthwhile to respond here.

I have a 2016 LX and a 2021 GX Luxury. In terms of usable cargo area with the second and third rows down, I prefer the GX. The LX seats tilt forward and bounce around whereas the GX fold down and are almost flat. Something like a bicycle is hard to haul inside the LX but fits more easily in the GX. With just the third row down, the LX has more usable space behind the second row. It seems taller and wider. I think one of the components of the ML sound system in the GX takes away a little space above the wheel well in mine. When using all the seats in the LX, 7 adults can fit comfortably and you can haul 8 for shorter trips up to an hour or so since the third row does get cramped. I’ve never really used the third row in the GX since the LX just does it better. With both you’ll need a hitch mount or roof basket if you’re planning to take along a reasonable amount of cargo. Also worth noting that the type of car seat that clicks into the anchors at the bottom on the backrest can only be used in the second row. I can still fit two adults in the second row with a car seat…it’s not roomy but it’s not bad either.

In terms of comfort I find there’s a pretty big difference. The GX feels a lot more utilitarian with some high quality finishes and the LX feels like my LS on stilts. The GX feels lighter and much easier to drive and the LX feels heavy and requires effort. Because the GX is simpler and lighter, I believe it has lower running costs…the gas mileage seems to be at least a couple MPG better too. But I still find the LX premium to be worth the additional expense.

What helped with the bouncy ride was swapping out the large wheels that come on the newer models. I removed the 21s from the LX and put on 5x 20s from an 2009 and 275/60R20 Michelin Defenders (that same size also fits in the spare well). It specs exactly at 33” and the added sidewall really helps on the trail and increases ride comfort (stock tires according to my door sticker were 275/50R21). I keep the suspension in regular to prevent it from being floaty. The GX came with 19s (265/55R19) and I swapped them out for 18s from a 2013. The spare well won’t handle a bigger tire so I kept the stock sizing of 265/60R18 and also went with Michelin Defender LTXs. I keep the suspension in comfort and it really improved the ride. Still not the same as my LX, but not harsh either.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I’ll do my best to answer.
Thanks for the detailed response. That info really helps. I don't trust the capacity numbers on cars. We did some testing years ago when shopping and they just don't make sense. Maybe if you fill them up with peanuts it comes out correctly - or maybe it's only based on minimum dimensions - who knows!

I've heard others say the same regarding wheel size. I have 19s (I think - it's a Lux) and new Michelin Defenders. I mean, the thing drives really nice, but I guess feels small on the highway and not as plush as I'd like if I'm going to be in it road-tripping for weeks. If I can swap and put up with the slightly larger size for occasional city parking at equal or not too much extra cost, seems like it may be a good trade-off.

I haven't personally owned a GX, but I did own a 5th gen 4runner before my 2011 LX and was also cross shopping with the GX. With the rear seats removed in the LX it definitely feels like a bit more cargo space. Also, looking at the specs for a 5 seater LC heritage edition: 53.5 cu ft behind the 2nd row. A good bit more than the GX. Sitting in them back to back, behind myself with a comfortable driving position (I'm 160lb 5'11"), the LX edges it out slightly in leg room. But the width gain is tremendous. If I had to be a passenger, I'm 1,000% more comfortable in the LX. On paper it may be close, but in real life the LX is just so much more roomy and comfortable.

Also personal preference for sure, but I found the seating in the GX similar to the 4runner. Not the most comfortable for me on long drives. I'd be fairly fatigued by the time we reached our destination if more than 1.5-2hrs. The LX on the other hand...even several hour drives my butt and back feel fresh and I don't feel very fatigued at all once we've arrived.

I haven't personally owned a GX, but I did own a 5th gen 4runner before my 2011 LX and was also cross shopping with the GX. With the rear seats removed in the LX it definitely feels like a bit more cargo space. Also, looking at the specs for a 5 seater LC heritage edition: 53.5 cu ft behind the 2nd row. A good bit more than the GX. Sitting in them back to back, behind myself with a comfortable driving position (I'm 160lb 5'11"), the LX edges it out slightly in leg room. But the width gain is tremendous. If I had to be a passenger, I'm 1,000% more comfortable in the LX. On paper it may be close, but in real life the LX is just so much more roomy and comfortable.

Also personal preference for sure, but I found the seating in the GX similar to the 4runner. Not the most comfortable for me on long drives. I'd be fairly fatigued by the time we reached our destination if more than 1.5-2hrs. The LX on the other hand...even several hour drives my butt and back feel fresh and I don't feel very fatigued at all once we've arrived.
I was surprised by how fatigued I am after an hour... At first I thought it was very similar in support and design to our E350 mercedes, but I just can't get comfortable. There are lots of people on ClubLexus doing all sorts of mechanical modifications to get it to "work" :) while others say it's a dream. I've always had back issues so perhaps I am just more sensitive. I could probably deal with it but if the purpose is long road trips, it's going to be a frustration.

Sounds like you really want a Mercedes! No shame in that — buy the most comfortable vehicle for you.

Sounds like you really want a Mercedes! No shame in that — buy the most comfortable vehicle for you.
Haha, I already have one. I don't want another... It is comfortable and so far reliable, but we are at 80k mileage and are religious about maintenance. It's a 2014 E350 Estate (wagon) and the staple Euro taxi, so I am crossing my fingers with care it will go to 150k+ or another 10-15 years. It's an awesome vehicle and super practical. My wife said to just lift it, but yeah, we decided that was going down the wrong path....

I will either keep the GX or move to an LX. I just expected the GX to feel more "comfortable", that's all. It's awesome in every other way, and I don't have to worry much about expensive repairs for a long time...

If you’ve started down the rabbit hole of finding a car that’ll take care of you if you take care of it, the Land Cruiser is the ultimate culmination of it. The GX might be more reliable (my mechanic tells me this because it’s a simpler car with less to go wrong), but the build quality on the LC/LX is superior.

In my opinion cars have steadily become less reliable. I think a vast majority of consumers treat automobiles as disposable and lease their cars, meaning manufactures really only see the lifespan of their cars at 50k miles. Manufacturers have a lot pressure to innovate to meet CAFE regulations, move as quickly as possible to electrification. There’s a lot going on that makes me want to hold onto my cars forever right now.

Based on what you’ve said, I feel like you’re in a similar position that I was not too long ago. We were strictly a European car household for decades, but I don’t lease my cars and I was tired of spending $5k-$10k every year on additional repairs when my car went in for the annual service. My reasoning with the LX was that it’ll last at least as long as I will want to keep it. After buying it, I really couldn’t imagine selling it for anything…yeah it won’t be 100% trouble free, but there’s nothing else for sale that I would trade it for.

If I had to do it again I wouldn’t have bought my 2021 GX. I would’ve gone with a 2013-2015 LX since the technology is about the same (no all speed dynamic cruise control, HUD, etc. which are only available on the 2016+ LX). I would’ve gotten a better car and saved some money…wouldn’t bother me at all to have two 200s. Gas mileage, older technology, isn’t a concern for these…you’re only buying it for durability and capability.

If you’re really gonna hold onto your cars for a long time and have the budget for it, maybe you’d be happy with an LX and a well maintained 3rd generation RX? I know you are keen on your E350, but if you’re really looking for a car to hold onto that take care of you, from my experience MB won’t be it. I’d argue after having a handful of them and now a fourth gen (wife was adamant on 4th gen even though I wanted to get her the 3rd gen) RX, Lexus makes a more comfortable, durable, and capable car. Obviously you wouldn’t be hitting trails in an RX, but in AWD form those cars can really go anywhere until the ground clearance limits them…and it would still probably be more ground clearance than a lifted W212. I think it would give you the freedom to focus on doing the things you enjoy with your family and not have to even think about your car situation…you’d just need to do routine maintenance, turn the key, and go. Even if you did end up with a major repair you’d have a car that’s easily and cheaply serviceable.

Just some food for thought from personal experience.

If you’ve started down the rabbit hole of finding a car that’ll take care of you if you take care of it, the Land Cruiser is the ultimate culmination of it. The GX might be more reliable (my mechanic tells me this because it’s a simpler car with less to go wrong), but the build quality on the LC/LX is superior.

In my opinion cars have steadily become less reliable. I think a vast majority of consumers treat automobiles as disposable and lease their cars, meaning manufactures really only see the lifespan of their cars at 50k miles. Manufacturers have a lot pressure to innovate to meet CAFE regulations, move as quickly as possible to electrification. There’s a lot going on that makes me want to hold onto my cars forever right now.

Based on what you’ve said, I feel like you’re in a similar position that I was not too long ago. We were strictly a European car household for decades, but I don’t lease my cars and I was tired of spending $5k-$10k every year on additional repairs when my car went in for the annual service. My reasoning with the LX was that it’ll last at least as long as I will want to keep it. After buying it, I really couldn’t imagine selling it for anything…yeah it won’t be 100% trouble free, but there’s nothing else for sale that I would trade it for.

If I had to do it again I wouldn’t have bought my 2021 GX. I would’ve gone with a 2013-2015 LX since the technology is about the same (no all speed dynamic cruise control, HUD, etc. which are only available on the 2016+ LX). I would’ve gotten a better car and saved some money…wouldn’t bother me at all to have two 200s. Gas mileage, older technology, isn’t a concern for these…you’re only buying it for durability and capability.

If you’re really gonna hold onto your cars for a long time and have the budget for it, maybe you’d be happy with an LX and a well maintained 3rd generation RX? I know you are keen on your E350, but if you’re really looking for a car to hold onto that take care of you, from my experience MB won’t be it. I’d argue after having a handful of them and now a fourth gen (wife was adamant on 4th gen even though I wanted to get her the 3rd gen) RX, Lexus makes a more comfortable, durable, and capable car. Obviously you wouldn’t be hitting trails in an RX, but in AWD form those cars can really go anywhere until the ground clearance limits them…and it would still probably be more ground clearance than a lifted W212. I think it would give you the freedom to focus on doing the things you enjoy with your family and not have to even think about your car situation…you’d just need to do routine maintenance, turn the key, and go. Even if you did end up with a major repair you’d have a car that’s easily and cheaply serviceable.

Just some food for thought from personal experience.
Thanks. That is pretty much our position. We will keep the E350 until if/when it starts to be clear it's in the shop too much. Then move to a minivan (Honda/Toyota) or Lexus sedan. Mileage is only 5k/yr max on it, so I'm hoping it lasts 10 more years (130k) without headache and then the kids will be in college. Our goal of towing a mid-size trailer for a family of 4 throughout the US/Canada for 4-8 weeks at a time requires at least GX/LX. Originally I planned on an F250, but once we sat it in my wife and I both had strong gut feelings of no way do we want to own something so massive. It is just ridiculous looking out over the dash and hood. I don't want to look at it every day, lol. I'd rather adjust our travel style / size of trailer.

Next step is to test drive an LX. We should've before but oh well, lesson learned.

As for bouncing second row seats when folded, there are straps built into the base of each that hold them tight against the second row grab handles and fix the bouncing. Though you'll just get leather squeaks from them being pulled against the front row. But they don't bounce..

As for bouncing second row seats when folded, there are straps built into the base of each that hold them tight against the second row grab handles and fix the bouncing. Though you'll just get leather squeaks from them being pulled against the front row. But they don't bounce..
Yeah I've seen videos/comments were people don't realize that. Too funny...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom