2013-2015 LX 570 vs 2016+ LX 570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
high mileage 100 series owner here looking for the next vehicle to take me another 10+ years. I need help with deciding between these two generations of LX 570

I have read the FAQ and various other posts around here. But I would like to know currently what is the state of upgrades and aftermarket on the 2016+ years. I do a lot of overlanding and camping with my family and would overtime like to have drawers, roof rack, sliders, skid plates, winch, bumpers, aux tank etc. Is it cheaper and more options if I went with 2013-2015 years over the 2016+? Ideally i would get the newest one i can afford but if outfitting the vehicle is more difficult with the 2016+ years than I would probably stick with the 2013-2015 years.

I also have a camper that I will tow a few times per year that weights about 2000lbs. from someone that has experience with both, is the 8 speed transmission a significant upgrade for this use case?

appreciate any insight

I personally think the 8-speed transmission and interior upgrades are the star of 2016+ trucks.

Overlandy bits are plentiful for earlier years just because there are more of them and they are cheap. People are willing to ride them hard.

That being said, everything you can put on an earlier model will also fit a 2016+. Front bumper is a little more challenging because grill protrudes more but it's totally doable. Dissent, Slee, Mainline Overland etc have all built 2016+ trucks using the currently available products. Roof rack is probably most challenging because you have to drop the headliner but a brave mudder posted a step by step guide here.

high mileage 100 series owner here looking for the next vehicle to take me another 10+ years. I need help with deciding between these two generations of LX 570

I have read the FAQ and various other posts around here. But I would like to know currently what is the state of upgrades and aftermarket on the 2016+ years. I do a lot of overlanding and camping with my family and would overtime like to have drawers, roof rack, sliders, skid plates, winch, bumpers, aux tank etc. Is it cheaper and more options if I went with 2013-2015 years over the 2016+? Ideally i would get the newest one i can afford but if outfitting the vehicle is more difficult with the 2016+ years than I would probably stick with the 2013-2015 years.

I also have a camper that I will tow a few times per year that weights about 2000lbs. from someone that has experience with both, is the 8 speed transmission a significant upgrade for this use case?

appreciate any insight
Chassis wise there is little difference between 2015 and 2016 models.

From an overlanding perspective, the biggest difference is the headliner has to be dropped on a 2016+ to add a roof rack, although all the same roof racks fit. And for front and rear bumpers, there is a lot more plastic and the bumpers "line up" differently. Hard points wise, everything is pretty much the same. There are very few options for bumpers that "line up" well with the 2016+, but anything will pretty much fit. I think CBI is still the only company making a 2016+ specific front bumper.

Electronics wise, you definitely need different parts, but for the most part the same things are available for both (like Carplay/AA devices).

For sliders/skid plates, everything is similar. It's a little harder to cut the 2016+ OEM steps out for sliders (at least for it to look good), but there is always the option of adding LC rocker panels which works for either 2015 or 2016 and does usually provide the best aesthetics. Skid plates will be identical, and this goes for pretty much anything that bolts underneath (eg LRA fuel tanks).

For interior storage in the rear, everything is pretty much identical. Same amount of work to remove 3rd row and adding drawers.

Mechanically, the suspensions are the same. The ECUs have slightly different programming, but essentially all the same.

Wheels and tires require the same mods between 15 and 16+

biggest difference is the headliner has to be dropped on a 2016+

I just looked up a video for doing this procedure and it is definitely something i dont want to do lol. Does the 2016+ LC have the same issue?

16+ brakes are a definite improvement, though they can be retrofitted to a 13-15 pretty easily.

Same scenario for me. While my 100 @ 226k miles has plenty of life left, I'm thinking it's a good time to get another 10 year old Cruiser.
I've always preferred the looks of the LC over the LX so last week I took advantage of trying out these two specimens back to back since they were next door to each other.

2015 LX with 133k miles listed at $34,988.

2014 LC with 141k miles listed at $35,397.

I can honestly say that the LC didn't impress me very much. While it would be a great replacement for my 100, I had no urge to make the swap. The LX on the other hand, made it VERY hard to walk away. Luckily they both had too much corrosion for me so the test drives were for informational purposes only. There wasn't any one big thing that made me like the LX that much more, it was just the sum of all the parts. As I've gotten older, I tend to buy vehicles due to how I feel when I'm in the seat, not how it looks from the outside. The LX wins hands down. I know this doesn't answer your specific question, but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

To answer your question though, the 2016+ LX's don't have a hand brake. I lost the brake booster in my 100 a month ago and I was able to limp it home with the hand brake. That can't happen with the electronic parking brakes on newer vehicles.

Same scenario for me. While my 100 @ 226k miles has plenty of life left, I'm thinking it's a good time to get another 10 year old Cruiser.
I've always preferred the looks of the LC over the LX so last week I took advantage of trying out these two specimens back to back since they were next door to each other.

I can honestly say that the LC didn't impress me very much. While it would be a great replacement for my 100, I had no urge to make the swap. The LX on the other hand, made it VERY hard to walk away. Luckily they both had too much corrosion for me so the test drives were for informational purposes only. There wasn't any one big thing that made me like the LX that much more, it was just the sum of all the parts. As I've gotten older, I tend to buy vehicles due to how I feel when I'm in the seat, not how it looks from the outside. The LX wins hands down. I know this doesn't answer your specific question, but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

To answer your question though, the 2016+ LX's don't have a hand brake. I lost the brake booster in my 100 a month ago and I was able to limp it home with the hand brake. That can't happen with the electronic parking brakes on newer vehicles.

Thanks for the input. Yes this is why im leaning to LX and now trying to decide if the roof rack issue is what is going to prohibit me from a 2016+ LC. Ive had to take off my prinsu roof rack once in a while for my hundred for different reasons over the years and wouldn't be able to with a 2016 LX. luckily the LX 570 does not have the brake booster issue that our 100s have.

Thanks for the input. Yes this is why im leaning to LX and now trying to decide if the roof rack issue is what is going to prohibit me from a 2016+ LC. Ive had to take off my prinsu roof rack once in a while for my hundred for different reasons over the years and wouldn't be able to with a 2016 LX. luckily the LX 570 does not have the brake booster issue that our 100s have.

I belive removal of the headliner is a one time thing. Once you install the OEM brackets, you can install and remove the rack without dropping the headliner.

Drive both, sit in both, look at both. Some prefer the 6-speed transmission, some prefer the 8-speed. I personally think the interior of the 16+ is way more snappy and the exterior is better too after you chop the front bumper in half. Most overlandy parts can be found for both variants, so just pick the LX you like better and fits the budget.

The 2016 roof rack mounting points are identical to all other 200's once you take off the roof rails (don't quote me, but I think this is true) @nakman ?

I own a 15lx and just bought a 2017 lx. The 2017 lx is super nice. I prefer the interior of the 2016+ lx. Both trucks are wonderful and capable out the box. I don’t care for the 21 stock rims. The 2017 has upgraded 2nd row screens with an hdmi input. The hood on the 2017 is harder to see over vs the 2015. I came from a 100 series and haven’t looked back.

I own a 15lx and just bought a 2017 lx. The 2017 lx is super nice. I prefer the interior of the 2016+ lx. Both trucks are wonderful and capable out the box. I don’t care for the 21 stock rims. The 2017 has upgraded 2nd row screens with an hdmi input. The hood on the 2017 is harder to see over vs the 2015. I came from a 100 series and haven’t looked back.

How do you feel about the transmission difference?
Coming from my 4 speed 100 series I’m sure both are a huge upgrade

How do you feel about the transmission difference?
Coming from my 4 speed 100 series I’m sure both are a huge upgrade
I can’t really tell a difference. The 2016 plus interior is the star. I don’t really care for the exterior styling of the 16+, but it’s growing on me. It’s such a nice place to spend time. I think they upgraded the adaptable cruise control as well. Both trucks are super stable tanks.

I test drove 15' Lx, 14 LC200, 16 LC200, 16,17,18 LX before I bought my 17 LX. I came from a toyota sequoia, and I feel like the landcruiser was the ugly girl in class versus the Lx. I didn't care much for the 15 and prior interior. Once I sat in a 16+ carbernet interior I was sold on the 16+lx570. Price difference for sure. And for 16+ you can modify a prinsu rack to fit to the factory rails on a lx570. A shop showed some vaguely detailed pics on how they did it. So removal of the headliner is kinda by choice. But not recommended. Either way you'll be happy. As for the transmission 6spd vs 8spd. As long as the 8spd has had the tsb update, it's a little smoother.

20240226_172951.jpg

I test drove 15' Lx, 14 LC200, 16 LC200, 16,17,18 LX before I bought my 17 LX. I came from a toyota sequoia, and I feel like the landcruiser was the ugly girl in class versus the Lx. I didn't care much for the 15 and prior interior. Once I sat in a 16+ carbernet interior I was sold on the 16+lx570. Price difference for sure. And for 16+ you can modify a prinsu rack to fit to the factory rails on a lx570. A shop showed some vaguely detailed pics on how they did it. So removal of the headliner is kinda by choice. But not recommended. Either way you'll be happy. As for the transmission 6spd vs 8spd. As long as the 8spd has had the tsb update, it's a little smoother.

View attachment 3590039
Seems the consensus is the 2016+ interior feel is significant. I’ll have to research the method to mount a prinsu roof rack without the headliner, thanks for the heads up.

Biggest issue for me was the climate control is in the armrest in the second row on 2016+ With 2 kids in car seats and an adult back there- one needs control of thine own climate.

Wow Im dying to know how they mounted the roof rack like that. Trying to figure out how to get the rooftop tent over from the Tacoma. Prospect of dropping the headliner sounds tedious.

appreciate any insight

Even as I'm fully satisfied with my 2009...I can see two major areas of improvement with the 2016+ that would have me eyeing them in more extreme use.

8-speed gearing would be an awesome thing for heavier duty use in towing and off-roading.

When heavy, and I mean really heavy, like 13k+ combined weight, and possibly high elevations, the gear spacing when shifting between 1, 2, and 3 of the 6-speed can cause the engine to drop out of its powerband. Similarly when engine braking at extreme grades needing lots of RPM, the tighter spacing would offer finer control. Sometimes I need the engine braking of 1st gear, and it won't allow me to drop into first until way under 20mph. You know you're heavy when you need to go into low range for more torque and engine braking.

Off-roading would similarly benefit allowing for lower gear ratios without going into L4. And while in L4 would have lower crawl ratios: 6-speed: 34.1:1 vs 8-speed: 41.5:1. Consider that the stock 8-speed gearing has gearing on par with a 6-speed upgraded with aggressive 4.88s.

More minor, but in regards to brakes and the 2016+ having larger front rotors... while it's possible to upgrade the pre-2016 cruisers to similar size front rotors and benefit from increased bite and heat capacity, I have found that in really slick situations like snow wheeling, and cold/snow/ice on road, that the upgrade might create a hint too much front bias. Perhaps especially when used in conjunction with higher friction pads. I haven't driven the 2016+ in similar conditions, but there are situations the front axle with upgraded BBKs bite too much causing it to wash out or lose traction first. It can be managed though with more gentle brake application and use of more engine braking, but I do want to put that out there. Most probably won't notice it, but I'm always keen on feeling out these these details.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom