2008-2015 LX vs 2018 GX Cargo Volume (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As for bouncing second row seats when folded, there are straps built into the base of each that hold them tight against the second row grab handles and fix the bouncing. Though you'll just get leather squeaks from them being pulled against the front row. But they don't bounce..
You are amazing…I swear some of the guys on here have forgotten more about LCs than I’ll ever know. This actually got me more excited than finding the hidden headrest for the center of the back row.

Last edited:
You are amazing…I swear some of the guys in here have forgotten more about LCs than I’ll ever know. This actually got me more excited than finding the hidden headrest for the center of the back row.
I’m just a Landcruiser nerd.. glad to help.

You are amazing…I swear some of the guys on here have forgotten more about LCs than I’ll ever know. This actually got me more excited than finding the hidden headrest for the center of the back row.
Hidden headrest?!? Whaaa…? I was just about to start checking the price for one!

Hidden headrest?!? Whaaa…? I was just about to start checking the price for one!
IMG_2192.jpeg
Haha I’m hoping it’s not sarcasm, but go unzip the top of the left side seat and see what’s in there. When I first got my car I was so mad thinking that someone took it out. But then I found it. I think it’s really expensive for a replacement from what I remember.

Last edited:
View attachment 3423763Haha I’m hoping it’s not sarcasm, but go unzip the top of the left side seat and see what’s in there. When I first got my car I was so mad thinking that someone took it out. But then I found it. I think it’s really expensive for a replacement from what I
Not sarcasm! Had the same anger seeing it was not there - and just confirmed it is! With the head rest out, that makes for a great hidden pocket.

Re: the straps hidden in the base of the second row, I was glad to see that carried over from prior generations. Always liked that feature in the 80 series.

The strap - when I first saw it I said wtf, is this 100k truck feature to tie the chairs with a strap?! I expected a press of a button for magic to happen. The rubbing is annoying especially with the LX load/unload feature that automatically moves the driver chair, but I'm not often folding the chairs so I'm good.
I guess the low tech is a good compromise between keeping the 2nd row chairs from becoming even larger if they get a fully automated setup and eating inside space, and still having them move front and back which I like very much.

Not sarcasm! Had the same anger seeing it was not there - and just confirmed it is! With the head rest out, that makes for a great hidden pocket.

Re: the straps hidden in the base of the second row, I was glad to see that carried over from prior generations. Always liked that feature in the 80 series.
Awesome…I know that exact feeling of finding it for the first time! Glad that after learning so much from others on here that I’m able to contribute something worthwhile to one person at least :)
The strap - when I first saw it I said wtf, is this 100k truck feature to tie the chairs with a strap?! I expected a press of a button for magic to happen. The rubbing is annoying especially with the LX load/unload feature that automatically moves the driver chair, but I'm not often folding the chairs so I'm good.
I guess the low tech is a good compromise between keeping the 2nd row chairs from becoming even larger if they get a fully automated setup and eating inside space, and still having them move front and back which I like very much.
Wish the straps were more obvious to those of us newer to LCs. But I guess we all really shop for these on only one thing: durability and capability. I guess yo some extent these kinds of decisions (along with the third row that doesn’t folding flat, etc.) is to preserve the car’s capability. I don’t agree with every decision, but I can only imagine how much time they spent engineering the platform…overall Toyota engineers still amaze me with what they can do in terms of the overall package.

As a side note I only keep the easy entry/exit for the steering wheel. And that’s only because I’m 6’3” so my knees always hit the steering column when I get in or out. But I’ve always run into inconveniences with the seat sliding automatically…and I feel like it puts a lot of unnecessary wear on the mechanism. Completely subjective but just my thoughts.

Awesome…I know that exact feeling of finding it for the first time! Glad that after learning so much from others on here that I’m able to contribute something worthwhile to one person at least :)

Wish the straps were more obvious to those of us newer to LCs. But I guess we all really shop for these on only one thing: durability and capability. I guess yo some extent these kinds of decisions (along with the third row that doesn’t folding flat, etc.) is to preserve the car’s capability. I don’t agree with every decision, but I can only imagine how much time they spent engineering the platform…overall Toyota engineers still amaze me with what they can do in terms of the overall package.

As a side note I only keep the easy entry/exit for the steering wheel. And that’s only because I’m 6’3” so my knees always hit the steering column when I get in or out. But I’ve always run into inconveniences with the seat sliding automatically…and I feel like it puts a lot of unnecessary wear on the mechanism. Completely subjective but just my thoughts.
I saw that headrest stored there in a video and my first thought was that's ridiculous. But, it's not bad because my other vehicle's middle headrest is sitting in a garbage bag in the attic... If it is slim enough to not be a hassle in the back of the seat then it's genius. Or, you could use that zipper for straps, bags, towels, etc.

I saw that headrest stored there in a video and my first thought was that's ridiculous. But, it's not bad because my other vehicle's middle headrest is sitting in a garbage bag in the attic... If it is slim enough to not be a hassle in the back of the seat then it's genius. Or, you could use that zipper for straps, bags, towels, etc.
Also, if that headrest can be so slim/short, why can't the other two? : )

When I got our first LX I had the benefit of previously owning the LC and 4Runner. We did lots of traveling with the Previa minivan and LC, and the seat comfort in the LC was the best. As you described, a trip in the 4Runner >2hr became uncomfortable. This became a factor when considering the GX for long trips along with it’s rear door vs clamshell (Nice). The AHC was attractive in the LX because we loaded up for trips and self-leveling was very desirable and seat comfort on long trips is superb. We liked going on some scenic trails in the Rockies or Blue Ridge and could do that with the LX. And if you plan to tow at times, then the LX is best for that. The gas mileage had been a concern with the LC (a shock vs van) but later on decided that was a small price for the comfort, flexibility, and overall driving experience on long trips with the LX.

I hate it, but my wife's 2016 GX definitely has more rear cargo room than my 2013 LX given how her seats fold flat.

I just traded for a 2013 LX. I think the volumes are correct but really in practice it’s a bit irrelevant. If I am that pressed I will have a hitch carrier or roof carrier as well. And I can remove the seats in the LX and not GX for major camp trips with the family….

Even though GX was nice the LX is so much more comfortable and I love the extra width inside as the driver.

I just traded for a 2013 LX. I think the volumes are correct but really in practice it’s a bit irrelevant. If I am that pressed I will have a hitch carrier or roof carrier as well. And I can remove the seats in the LX and not GX for major camp trips with the family….

Even though GX was nice the LX is so much more comfortable and I love the extra width inside as the driver.
Agreed.. my LX is much more comfortable than the GX... seats most noticeably.

Agreed.. my LX is much more comfortable than the GX... seats most noticeably.
GX after 2,000 miles I had severe pain the gluts, leg, and lower back. All due to bolstering and lumbar / lack of cushion. Crazy but I had to get rid of it. I’m 6ft and 170, so not a lot of cushion on my gluts. : ) The bolstering is too angled and stiff for me. LX seats are like a wonderful couch.

GX after 2,000 miles I had severe pain the gluts, leg, and lower back. All due to bolstering and lumbar / lack of cushion. Crazy but I had to get rid of it. I’m 6ft and 170, so not a lot of cushion on my gluts. : ) The bolstering is too angled and stiff for me. LX seats are like a wonderful couch.
6'4" 210 here.. same thing on long trips. Perfect for the 5'3" wife... even with a 3" Ironman lift (which I love).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom