2018+ LC200 vs LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My search continues for a 2018 plus LC200, but I have noticed that the LX570s seem a bit more plentiful and possibly more reasonably priced. So I know about the AHC issues, the strange infotainment joystick thingy, and the large wheel limitations on the LX, but any other huge differences between the two? I still prefer the LC, but should I add the LX as a possible option?
Any pros and cons would be appreciated, thank you!

AHC issues? There's not really anything systemic here and it is arguably one of the most robust and performant systems out there.

The joystick thing is subjective. It takes little adjustment and honestly is easy to use as a haptic system.

Large wheel limitations? You might have that backwards as the LX can swallow appreciably larger tires with less mods. Some of the most modded large tire examples (35+, including 37 and 40") are built on the LX - while still taking advantage of all the goodness that is AHC. You can rip out the system just the same, but for those that know, it is really that good.

If you are going to moderately-heavily mod the exterior, the LC is more compatible with aftermarket bumpers, roof rack, sliders, gull-wings, etc.

AHC is the best for a primarily on road rig. But I’m biased.

No issues with mine 2013 and 156k miles original parts except fluid.

My search continues for a 2018 plus LC200, but I have noticed that the LX570s seem a bit more plentiful and possibly more reasonably priced. So I know about the AHC issues, the strange infotainment joystick thingy, and the large wheel limitations on the LX, but any other huge differences between the two? I still prefer the LC, but should I add the LX as a possible option?
Any pros and cons would be appreciated, thank you!

Your assumptions might be a little bit backwards. :D

It is much easier to fit large wheels and tires on an LX compared to a LC200 due to the lack of KDSS. I barely had to modify mine to run 12.5" wide 35's. Can't say that with a Land Cruiser.

AHC is widely regarded as a reliable system and long-lasting as long as you keep the rust at bay. It requires a little periodic maintenance (flushing the fluid) ~60k miles. Otherwise, should actually last longer than a traditional shock absorber in most cases. And when it stops performing to par, you replace the accumulator globes for around $600 and keep on trucking. Similar ballpark price to replacing a good set of shocks. There are rare cases of more serious and expensive failures, but that is not the norm.

AHC for offroad is a matter of preference. I have run Hells Revenge, Wheeler Lake and some other pretty tough trails with completely bone stock AHC suspension. It works well, but can feel a little fickle and annoying at times depending on what you're used to. I intended to delete AHC and go with a traditional suspension lift (which is also totally possible), but after getting a little more used to it, I'm going to stick with AHC for the foreseeable future.

The main challenge of the lexus (particularly the '16+ models) is the giant plastic bumper limits approach angle quite a lot. Cut it up or install an aftermarket bumper and you're set.

Last edited:
Wow, was I wrong in my assumptions! Thank you all for educating me about these matters.....I just started reading about the LX570
last night, so I have a lot to learn!

A lot worth noting there's literally no support for the 2016+ in terms of bumpers, bull bars, etc. You'll be able to fit sliders and armor underneath pretty easily, but bumpers will take a lot of custom work. Off the top of my head there's only one off-the-shelf bumper that I can think of (CBI), and that too is only a half bumper that requires cutting your OEM bumper skin and grille. Also IMHO the 2016+ LX has a lot going on with the design, messing with it too much only makes it look worse.

The 2016+ LC will readily take most/all 200 series exterior mods.

AHC is the best for a primarily on road rig. But I’m biased.

Not looking to disparage any platform as they both are awesome 200-series, fully capable in the rough.

Just saying this connotation isn't quite right. I use mine hard off-road. I know of others, that have had careers in off-road racing with high end custom buggies, and they prefer AHC for their do everything vehicle. Sure, it's not going to be the system to use for BAJA racing. For mixed use and legit off-roading, it holds its own. And can be modified for more, including squeezing in some of the largest tires.

A lot worth noting there's literally no support for the 2016+ in terms of bumpers, bull bars, etc. You'll be able to fit sliders and armor underneath pretty easily, but bumpers will take a lot of custom work. Off the top of my head there's only one off-the-shelf bumper that I can think of (CBI), and that too is only a half bumper that requires cutting your OEM bumper skin and grille. Also IMHO the 2016+ LX has a lot going on with the design, messing with it too much only makes it look worse.

The 2016+ LC will readily take most/all 200 series exterior mods.

Dissent

2018_LX570_front_01.jpg

Victory 4x4

VLX570FS-16_1.jpg

ARB

qE3qAhV.jpg

Slee

sok1326-9.jpg

Last edited:
If you can afford, then get the latest model LC that you can afford.

For LC:

2020+: new front differential design…maybe better/stronger differential carrier??

2018+: KDSS bolt change, automatically power-folding outside mirrors, late-2018s have new radiator design, late-2018s have capacitive touch screen on center display, powered lift gate, non-mandatory rear entertainment, newer transmission software (flashable on 2016-2017), and new key (very cool) design.

2016+ LC also gains bigger front brakes, 8-speed auto, semi-aniline leather of the LX, and has better buttons arrangement than prior years.

Wow, was I wrong in my assumptions! Thank you all for educating me about these matters.....I just started reading about the LX570
last night, so I have a lot to learn!
Also the only 200 series’s to win the Baja 1000
Have been LX570’s, I think 4 or 5 stock full class wins.

I will just leave this here…and walk away….

Also the only 200 series’s to win the Baja 1000
Have been LX570’s, I think 4 or 5 stock full class wins.
Kindof the definition of a technicality. No AHC in sight, and it was facelifted to look like a LC.

Plus.. the Dakar class-winning 200s were all LCs.

and that too is only a half bumper that requires cutting your OEM bumper skin and grille
This is literally every bumper for the 200 except maybe the ugly dobinsons rear bar.

Kindof the definition of a technicality. No AHC in sight, and it was facelifted to look like a LC.

Plus.. the Dakar class-winning 200s were all LCs.
well it won stock class. Only mods were safety related (glass removal, fire suppression, cage) and tires/wheels, and kings. None had KDSS.

well it won stock class. Only mods were safety related (glass removal, fire suppression, cage) and tires/wheels, and kings. None had KDSS.
Kings? So, it does not have AHC either?

EDIT after reading more about it: “Only mods” you say?? Basically it is a heavily modified LC200 platform with Lexus symbol on hood and a few wood panels inside. Nothing that makes a stock LX unique made the cut to the Baja “LX”. 😂

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom