Builds 1997 HZJ77HV-PEU Build (Grey Poupon) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm also going to post the .pdf version of the card cores.

AME size E 44 inch x 34 inch

they are all 1:1 scale so you should be able to print them out at FedEx and have a full size template. If somebody want a different version of the files PM me. Unfortunately I have not been able to find anybody who can cut them out of 1/8" hardboard like the originals.

SendCutSend.com has a size limitation so you can’t get them from them. It’s a shame because you could get them for about 20$ each if they could cut just slightly bigger hardboard.

I can cut a set if somebody is interested out of Aluminum but the cost is probably prohibitive for most. Each door will run about 50$-70$ for just the 1/8” Aluminum.

I wish I could provide a better solution but this is the reason I have my own plasma table. Laser and water jet cutting guys just are still way to expensive to make it worth it unless you have them cut 100x of each.

IMG_3737.JPG

Attachments

• front door card final.pdf
    101.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Rear door card left final.pdf
    97.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Rear door card right final.pdf
    98.2 KB · Views: 40
  • rear passenger door card final.pdf
    103.8 KB · Views: 43
@sleepydad69 ….. “The design has just enough of that Grey Poupon pretensive vibe?
—————————————————————————————————
In that case my plain-Jane door cards are the French’s Mustard (the cheap yellow stuff) of designs. 😁

Finally made it to a spot with the door cards where I think I'm done for now. Are they prefect? no far from it but each time I open a door I smile. I made them! dam it.
if anybody is looking for a good quality vinyl that has a good match to the new color of grey/charcoal/graphite? this one is a great match with a low luster sheen.

I'm also going to add I did the door cards out of a different vinyl that has a granite type of color pattern and it's higher sheen, not happy with it so at some point I'm going to re-make them but I have had enough door card action for a bit.

IMG_3746.JPG

IMG_3747.JPG

IMG_3749.JPG

IMG_E3755.JPG

IMG_3758.JPG

Last edited:
D00d! 🤯

just.... wow... I am a little afraid to know how many hours went into those... but the (minor) imperfections you refer too are negligible. You could probably market those to the vast 70's family worldwide that want that nice ZX interior feel.

you know what the fabric/vinyl part only takes about an hour. cutting, sewing part is fine and really a lot of fun to do.

The parts that are not fine.

Sourcing materials is a nightmare
the stupid cores - while I can cut them, sourcing them would be a royal pain. if only sendcutsend.com could cut bigger panels out of hardboard? problem solved.
glue/trim/curse part is not super fun. but it goes pretty quickly.
doing all the little cutouts is surprisingly infuriating.

If it was me and I wanted some but did not want to the sewing part? Grab the files I posted, get the panels cut local @ some CNC place. Source 3 yards of vinyl, 2 yards of fabric, 2 yards of headliner foam without fabric(1/16” or I think they have 1-2mm stuff in modern countries). you do not need foam if you don't mind seeing the clips thru the vinyl/fabric. without the foam to hide them you will see the bulge they create thru the vinyl/fabric.

Find somebody local who can do upholstery? As long as you know what you want and have the basic measurements ironed out most of the work is already done. Bring them the materials and have them sew up what you want.

Yes, this is all a lot of busy work. But it’s not hard or skilled in any way. However, it’s why I think I would have to get $600-$800 to make a set of just the front 4 doors. I’m guessing nobody in their “right state of mind” is going to take that, but we are talking Land Cruisers so many are not in their “right state of mind”

but we are talking Land Cruisers so many are not in their “right state of mind”
LOL - exactly. It would not be a cruiser cult if people were not willing to sacrifice their firstborn for that pristine cruiser!! 🤷‍♂️

Seriously though, I think there would be several people willing to pay that for the door cards when they factory ones are NLA. It just might not be enough to make it worth your while though...

This is how Toyota should have made the high end ZX cards to begin with in my opinion. I never liked the vinyl over the top style often seen in the 78 series Prado and ZX badged 73/77 models.
Ive been working on getting the lock tab trim pieces so I can cut the top of my cards and expose the beautiful painted door edge....

Ketchup!

Now that I have a couple of thousand km on the truck, I'm starting to find all those dirty little secrets.

I have seen one to many pink milk shakes with T4R and the integrated auto trans coolers. I'm not saying it's a huge failure rate but once they get 25+ years old I don't trust them. So... as we all know space is not your friend on these frontends. I think I have a plan.

Edit: one extra note looks like I need to use this shroud with this radiator

SHROUD SUB-ASSY, FAN​

Part number: 1671117090​

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

LPD4920 4 x 23 x 3/4 GVW rated 24000 BTU =22,000 3/8 hose barb connections

The kit comes with a thermostatic bypass. I have used a setup like this in the past and it works really well. it keeps the ATF temps right @ about 200-220 deg F. This is perfect and matches the temp range for our trucks ATF specs.

I will need to do some trial and error on mounting but I think it's going to fit based on mockups. I just got a box today so I think I can start to see how it's going to work out. Of course, all I’m interested in is the tube, bypass, cooling assembly. All that other stuff... meh.

IMG_3769.JPG

Last edited:
no more ketchup, salsa this time.

also pulled this littler pupper out. I can say this was the easiest 3rd member I have ever pulled out.

I drained the fluid after I found the lose lock nut up on the flange, yep this fluid that is only < 2000 km was filled with nice shiny little sludge. Way too much for that short a distance. So I need to get it packaged up and send it to cruiser outfitter and have them service it with new bearings and adjust. I will have to ask... maybe they can even do a solid spacer?

IMG_3773.JPG

Last edited:
and last but not least with desert this time.

in turn with having to pull the axles, yes those dirty little secrets. The seals failed enough on the rear so gear lube was in the rear bearings so those are toast now. great! @
I put in a big order for bearings seals, studs, cones and all the little extra things that make life worth living.

IMG_3777.JPG

on a positive note? if there is one at this point. The rear drums look brand new, like they were just replaced or have not been working for a long long time?
IMG_3778.JPG

also working on getting those things that point the wheels up front adjustable... toes or some such technical thingy? this joint is just not wanting to give it up quite yet. I'm scared the amount of pressure on that joint tool thing is going to break if I push it any further. pickle fork time, maybe.

IMG_3779.JPG

Looks like you've already tried it, but if not, once you have a scary amount of pressure on that tool, give the pitman arm a smack with a brass drift and a BFH? And duck.

Looks like you've already tried it, but if not, once you have a scary amount of pressure on that tool, give the pitman arm a smack with a brass drift and a BFH? And duck.
I guess the picture does not show it but see that shiny spot that looks like brass... yea. my brain did consider grabbing the air hammer but that is a good way to bend stuff real quick.

Transfer case rear output. looks like 66 mm is the magic number for these output bolts on the transfer flange. pretty standard toyota I think?

made a tool so I could torque it, torque it real good. had an old piece of 1/2 or 3/4 black pipe that I inherited with the house like 20 years ago.... I swear I have moved it around the garage like 50x times thinking someday I might need it. today was the day.

transfer output flange dims.jpg

after un-slaking the nut I was able to remove it with my fingers, so... yea not even close.
output flange torque.png

tool worked perfect

IMG_3784.JPG

it's good to have the BIG TWrencher.

IMG_3785.JPG

Transfer case rear output. looks like 66 mm is the magic number for these output bolts on the transfer flange. pretty standard toyota I think?

made a tool so I could torque it, torque it real good. had an old piece of 1/2 or 3/4 black pipe that I inherited with the house like 20 years ago.... I swear I have moved it around the garage like 50x times thinking someday I might need it. today was the day.

View attachment 3265182

after un-slaking the nut I was able to remove it with my fingers, so... yea not even close.
View attachment 3265183
tool worked perfect

View attachment 3265184

it's good to have the BIG TWrencher.

View attachment 3265185
OOOOhhhh I like that!

That's a lot prettier than the tool I made to rebuild the diff in the Hilux I had. It was scabbed together out of bits of square tubing and plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom