1981 FJ40 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More.
DSC_1734.jpg
DSC_1744.jpg
DSC_1725.jpg

just amazing shane, incredible........

a question: do you use anything under the painted pieces, meaning I know you use plastic washers where there is hardware going down, but what about on the painted to painted pieces? like where the hood hooks touch the body? I was wondering what should be laid down between the two metal areas to help not mess the paint up? what was there from the factory? anything or did they just slap them on?

Noah

just amazing shane, incredible........

a question: do you use anything under the painted pieces, meaning I know you use plastic washers where there is hardware going down, but what about on the painted to painted pieces? like where the hood hooks touch the body? I was wondering what should be laid down between the two metal areas to help not mess the paint up? what was there from the factory? anything or did they just slap them on?

Noah

Morning Noah,

The factory just slapped them on. I use a super thin nylon washer much like the size of a fender washer. Large dia with correct size bolt hole.

where did you get the Toyota tag..?

The license plate? On eBay, where else?? Same with the rear plate.

Hey Shane

thought I noticed some pitting/discoloration in the windshield hook pic. As we talked about looking at the "whole pic".;)

Great job. Send me my ignitor decals...

Scott

Fawker, I had to go look this morning. That there is Clackamas County Oregon bug guts!! :flipoff2:

Shane.

Wanted to know what you used for a Bib Hinge Pad?

thanks,

AR

That piece was a section of horse stall mat I believe. That what I used for the running boards. Putting holes in it was not easy.

That piece was a section of horse stall mat I believe. That what I used for the running boards. Putting holes in it was not easy.

Thanks!

I've got a 4x8 sheet of Elephant Bark that you often see in gyms under treadmills or exercise equipment. I thought about using this stuff but it is pretty thick.

Somehow mine never actually made it under the treadmill...:p

BTW...I look at your 81 and my 81 and am amazed. Your truck is amazing! Cheers.

Thanks!

I've got a 4x8 sheet of Elephant Bark that you often see in gyms under treadmills or exercise equipment. I thought about using this stuff but it is pretty thick.

Somehow mine never actually made it under the treadmill...:p

BTW...I look at your 81 and my 81 and am amazed. Your truck is amazing! Cheers.

Thanks again.

I buy the mat from Wilco or Coastal farm stores.

Shane

Washer source?

You mentioned before of finding the nylon washers online. I have done a bit of hunting online and so far have only sourced M6 nylon washers (as well as a bunch of very small and useless sizes). Can you tell me where you get yours from?

Thanks,

Steve

thanks!

They have a nylon washer under each one so the screw never touches paint.

They look weird in the pic.

You mentioned before of finding the nylon washers online. I have done a bit of hunting online and so far have only sourced M6 nylon washers (as well as a bunch of very small and useless sizes). Can you tell me where you get yours from?

Thanks,

Steve

Are you ready for this??

I had a company make them for me, as I make the heater kits and no one had the correct sizes so they made them.

I had also found many on eBay, but you will need your Harbor freight digital micrometer. There is Natural and then there is nylon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer. I do have the two most common sizes. It will do for now...

Steve

Are you read for this??

I had a company make them for me, as I make the heater kits and no one had the correct sizes so they made them.

I had also found many on ebay, but you will need your Harbor freight digital micrometer. There is Natural and then there is nylon.

Gorgeous Shane! Absolutely beautiful!

It looks like you used black bedliner on the bottom of the fenders and tub, yes?

Dan

Thanks!

Plasticoat Bed coat and under coat.

Bed coat is self leveling and hard as a rock.

Just sick....

:cheers:

When are you coming up? I am driving it every day, but I need to remove the manifold tonight and have the ears re ground to match the middle. I have an intake leak on the under side due to the ears not matching the rest of the machining.........That took me a week and a trip to Toyota to figure that out.

Did I mention I am staring at it now...............:flipoff2: and on MUD and drinking my Americano.....

Side note, a buddy was at the swap meet and picked up a set of long near mint jump seats for me on the CHEAP!

when does this go to MN... Poser told me it will be close to me... like 45 min away... you bringing it there? I want to see it in person...

I am getting shipping quotes for closed container to MN from OR and just looking for the best deal and timing.

I would like to drive it back. but it would take weeks as I love to stop everyplace.

I would love for it to be gone now as the liability is much greater now and my INS guy just does not understand but its the little drive ability issues I am having or think I am having. So off with the intake for the 4th time tonight and hopefully wed night it will breathe again. I think the trans was shipped without a gasket on the top plate so I need to pull it and seal it as well as she is wet on the under side.

I am enjoying starting it in the cold morning at 6am and listening and hearing the 2F grunt and slowly coming out of my hood down the hill to Starbucks as the sun rises.

I just watched the sun rise over the river and slowly drive the shadows away and the rays cascaded on the the FJ40...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom