My Frankenstein FJ40 Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The original FJ purchased last year. It needed a lot of expensive parts. I bought it because the body and frame had no rust. It was a poor financial choice because I poured way too much money into it.

#1.jpg
#2.jpg

After removing the Body I found the Mickey Mouse Chevy V8 adapter to the FJ 3 speed
#9.jpg
#10.jpg

I also had a decision to make about the spring over lift. I moved everything outside to sand blast all the body parts and frame
#12.jpg
#13.jpg
#14.jpg

The sand blasting was successful. The fold down tailgate was suspect. It
#16.jpg
#15.jpg
#16.jpg
The fold down tailgate was suspect and was wrapped in sheet metal. I stripped the sheet metal off and I was pleased to find lower doors welded together.

This is the garage I'm working in and its fairly large. So I bought a "Harbor Freight" tent garage, a standup exhaust fan and LED lights to make a makeshift
#17.jpg
#19.jpg
spray booth.

Front grill and the new Advanced adapters non Micky Mouse Chevy 350 to the new 4 speed FJ transmission.
#22.jpg
#23.jpg

I welded in the new motor mounts and after mounting the body I moved the motor mounts 3 times before getting a proper fit with the shifter.
#24.jpg
#25.jpg

I wanted to have the 3 rear doors though I found ambulance doors online so I will use them.
#28.jpg
#29.jpg

I'm not happy with the Ambulance door fit but am working with it. The new fiberglass top gutters and rubber came in
#31.jpg
#32.jpg

The power steering needed a new steering column. I made a spare tire rack and later moved to the other side.
#35.jpg
#36.jpg

Because I'm old and spoiled I added Vintage Air. The FJ just looks better with my beautiful Niece sitting in it.
#39.jpg
#41.jpg

I covered the transmission cover with a foam that I use in my day job in prosthetics and orthotics. Though not traditional I like the comforts of GPS and hands free phone
#42.jpg
#43.jpg

How it looks today 98% finished. It's wicked dusty but it's 32 degrees out and too cold to wash. The only thing left to do is to finish wiring the "Vintage air" , work out the issue with my electric fan on the new aluminum radiator, the mufflers I installed are too loud. and finish installing the fiberglass top.
#44.jpg
#45.jpg
#46.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom