Builds Mission Impossible......My 74 & 76 Build up by a Top Gun Land Cruiser builder :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So guess I should start this thread... I have been saying I was going to for a while... I am well on my way to starting to get this thing started but did not want to start my build thread until I was into this thing for a while... I have been taking pictures and keeping a journal of what I have been doing each time I work on my truck... so I will kind of recap that for you guys and bring you up to par...

I bought the 40 from Matt see his link if you have not seen his work it is great! https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=104821

anyhow here are a few more pics of what it looked like when I bought it... I will get the rest of my stuff ready for you and start posting more stuff in the morning...
FJ #1.JPG
FJ #2.JPG
Fj #3.JPG

It looks better than what I started with, hence the new tub.

Good luck, I got a November 73 (74) what vintage is yours?

good luck on this project and keep us posted, we all love pics

Well have to admit my whole deal with buying this 40 was not to do a frame up… I guess I have wanted one as long as I can remember and I started looking for one about fall 2005. Anyhow all I really wanted was something to go trashing through the woods with.. Now I find myself here… so here is the story on how I got there…

When I bought this 40 Matt told me the PO (who I will refer to as the PO from now on, since Matt really only had this thing for a few days) had told him he had rebuilt the engine and could not get it to get oil to the head… Don’t have any idea why I though I could fix this, but I sure tried. With a few desperate calls to Poser to ask him questions, and a lot of trial and error, fixing the fuel lines, new fuel pump and taking the head off to see if the head gasket was on wrong. I think we came to the conclusion that I would have to tear down the whole engine to see if the cam bearing were put in incorrectly… We discovered that the block had no serial number which Poser said was because it was a replacement blocks from Toyota at one time… so I decided to pull the engine… (keep in mind before I bought this thing every tool I owned was a few hand tools and a cheap ratchet set, so this was about the last thing I wanted to do..) Any how here are a few pics of the engine pull
#1.jpg
#2.jpg
#3.jpg

I knew I really did not want to spend the money to rebuild that F engine even though when it did run it seemed to run well, had good compression, but found a cheap 2F engine in the area and bought it and the tranny so I have a spare should I need it. I just kind of fell into this or I would have probably just rebuild the F.
#4.jpg
#5.jpg

I had rebuilt the carb and everything off the F I plan to rebuild the 2f and use some the the better parts off the F to make a engine (ie, carb, intake, headers) more on that later..

Here is some pics of the taking the top and roll bars off. Guess it came off like everyone else, PITA… lots of broken rusty bolts.
#6.jpg
#7.jpg
#8.jpg

at this point in was about the end of September, I hunt all fall and had trips planned for 9 days in ND for ducks and geese, 6 days SD for pheasants, couple weeks here in MN deer hunting, 4 days back in ND deer hunting, then finally to IA for 5 days pheasant hunting over thanksgiving… (I also had to work in-between all this so I was not able to work on the 40 much if at all for about 2 months) so I need to get this thing in doors because I know before I got back to this there would be snow on the ground… however I had to finish my shop I was going to move it to, it was a POS to say the least… I just moved to this house less than a year ago and here is what the shop looked like when I bough the place… took a long weekend!
#9.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of when I was done doing this so you will have to see when I get to the inside pics with the cruiser inside. it is small small small but I feel fortunate I have a heated dry place to work on this in the winter. It is crowded but you just have to be organized. Painted all the walls put in new lights and some insulation and a suspended ceiling.. Over all I was happy with the finished product. (thanks for the help dad!) ohh and a few girls on the wall!!

Ok got the 40 in side and started taking off the body.. I want to put an aluminum tub on and since the rear end was pretty shot as far as I was concerned and since Matt did not offer for me to leave it up there for him to fix :), I started hacking away at it, the cowl is in really good shape so that is good.
#10.jpg
#11.jpg
#12.jpg

Last edited:
Had a hell of a time getting the old suspension off but with the help of you guys here I used the biggest BFT I could find and won or at least I felt like it.. I plan on getting all new suspension so I was not too concerned about it…. Here are a few pic of the axels before they went to blasting with everything else…
#19.jpg
#20.jpg

ok well got a sand blaster lined up and borrowed a trailer (a little small but it worked, thanks furball!) had a buddy come over and help me lift everything into the trailer and truck… (man those axels are heavy) took the frame, axels, steering linkage, cowl, header and valve cover.
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg

did not stay there long…. I decided I really did not know enough about what I was doing, Guess I took the easy way out and brought the whole thing to the machine shop and said tear it apart and call me with the price to make it new again… (Just took off the obvious, fuel pump, water pump, intake and exhaust) still waiting for their call… got an estimate of $1000-$1500 is what he guessed…. We will see then I will make my decision on how much of the work I want to do… I don’t know there is a few problems that I saw when I took off the valve cover. (I posted previously on them, but here are the pics of the bent rods)
25.jpg
26.jpg

On a non cruiser related topic did I mention in my “free time” when I am not at work, hunting or working on the 40 I am redoing the inside of my house… took the weekend off and redid my bed room and started the upstairs bathroom…. Here is a few pics of the bed room before and after… going to finish the bathroom this weekend or come really close…
27.jpg
28.jpg

ok back to cruisers!!! Got the frame back on Dec 27th and when and bought some POR 15 got started on that, put two coats on the bottom of the frame, and 2 coats on everything else… had to wait for my dad to come up a day later to help me flip the frame then a day or so after that go the bottom all painted…
29.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom