1980 FJ40 Headlight wiring and replacement advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The headlights on my truck are pretty awful, and I'm trying to figure out how best to go about making it safer to drive at night. I have my eyes on the City Racer LED lights, as well as the KOITO 8110-60P70 Kit - I don't have a preference for either, so long as I can see adequately at night and they are easy enough for a beginner to handle the installation.

The issue I'm having is making sure what I order will work with what I have now. It looks like the PO may have done a bit of splicing to get stuff working.

Current behavior - I pull the headlight knob out halfway, and the fender lights operate (main headlight lamps off). Pull the knob all the way out, and both lights come on.

If I order either of those sets I mentioned, will I need to undo what the PO did so that the high/low beams are handled in the main bulbs - and if so, will I loose my fender lights?

PXL_20240207_190245941.jpg

PXL_20240207_161425993.jpg

Lots of information on this kit. It's available directly from Toyota. The kit designed to use your existing wiring for switching and upgrades the 12 VDC supply directly from the battery via relays. Great upgrade to the OEM headlights. The supplied wiring harness is longer than required. I shortened the supplied harness during the installation. Should be able to be used with your truck wiring based on your description.

Last edited:
From your description it sounds like they are working as designed.
Confirming, first "click" all lights come on except headlights? (Reverse and Turn signals are separate)
Second Click the headlights come on?
High beams activated by turn signal switch?

Edit to ask. All other lights like tuen signals working?

I highly recommend the Toyota kit. It's just 5 connections. It's plug and play. In stk wiring power goes thru switch to the light. In the kit, power comes from the batt, and is activated by the switch. Unplug 1 head light and plug it into the harness. Remove your old bulbs and install the new headlight housings and install the bulbs and plug the harness to them. Then 1 or 2 wires to the batt positive and 1 negative. Hardest parts figuring out where you want to mount the relays and fuses. The harness is long so some folks shorten it. The blue things are the fuse covers. Fyi. I'm not familiar with Cityracers kit.
20220302_183304.jpg
20220920_170539.jpg

Last edited:
From your description it sounds like they are working as designed.
Confirming, first "click" all lights come on except headlights? (Reverse and Turn signals are separate)
Second Click the headlights come on?
High beams activated by turn signal switch?

Edit to ask. All other lights like tuen signals working?
Yessir - I am hugely embarrassed to say I didn't realize the high beams were activated by pulling on the turnsignal stick - for some reason I expected them to be operated by the pull knob. It looks like everything works as it should, the problem is the meat behind the wheel. Looks like I simply need a better set of lights...

Yessir - I am hugely embarrassed to say I didn't realize the high beams were activated by pulling on the turnsignal stick - for some reason I expected them to be operated by the pull knob. It looks like everything works as it should, the problem is the meat behind the wheel. Looks like I simply need a better set of lights...

Nice! I also recommend the Toyota kit.

.Hardest parts figuring out where you want to mount the relays and fuses.

Not anymore :D

Looks like I need to correct the price of the lights on my site. They’re about half that now.

A couple of yrs ago i bought a kit for about $40. Then a couple of months ago i ordered a second kit from my local dealership for a little more than $23.

For anyone keeping score - I ended up getting the City Racer lamps. Shipping was crazy fast, installation could not have been simpler.
I don't love how the LED light looks on my truck, I think the warm orange incandescent lamps look great on an old vehicle, but I am more than pleased that I can see everything at night with ease now, and the ride feels safer now as a result.

For anyone keeping score - I ended up getting the City Racer lamps. Shipping was crazy fast, installation could not have been simpler.
I don't love how the LED light looks on my truck, I think the warm orange incandescent lamps look great on an old vehicle, but I am more than pleased that I can see everything at night with ease now, and the ride feels safer now as a result.
I have a 1982 FJ40 and plan to purchase the City Racer LED headlights. I, too, am not thrilled with the looks of the light (not burning), but I am tired of leaving my lights on and having the draw on the battery. I also installed LED Fog Lights... Are you still pleased the with CR LED's...

I was able to get one of these kits and get it installed in my 40 today. Excuse my ignorance, but why do we need the relays, fuses, and direct power from the battery as apposed to just being able to plug directly into the factory wiring.

I was able to get one of these kits and get it installed in my 40 today. Excuse my ignorance, but why do we need the relays, fuses, and direct power from the battery as apposed to just being able to plug directly into the factory wiring.

The original factory wiring is to light to handle the current draw of higher power headlights. So to fix this issue you use the original wiring to trigger the relay. Heavier wires are run from the battery to the relay and then to the new bulbs. The relay is simply an electronic switch.

I highly recommend the Toyota kit. It's just 5 connections. It's plug and play. In stk wiring power goes thru switch to the light. In the kit, power comes from the batt, and is activated by the switch. Unplug 1 head light and plug it into the harness. Remove your old bulbs and install the new headlight housings and install the bulbs and plug the harness to them. Then 1 or 2 wires to the batt positive and 1 negative. Hardest parts figuring out where you want to mount the relays and fuses. The harness is long so some folks shorten it. The blue things are the fuse covers. Fyi. I'm not familiar with Cityracers kit.
View attachment 3552852View attachment 3552855
What is the part number for that wiring harness? I have pretty good replacement lights, but the high beams don’t work unless directly connected to the battery, lows only via the 1978 wiring harness….

The harness and headlightis along with a crap load if zip strips are the kit and the part # is referenced in this thread. 81110-60P70. The kit has nothing to do with the high and low beams, they are activated thru the stk wiring harness and the high low switch in the steering column.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom