'73 FJ40 Headlight question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at different headlights for our build. I keep reading about these lights - Toyota (81110-60P70).

I know nothing about these lights. Will these be plug-and-play with the wiring in our FJ or ???

I believe so. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this thread describes being able to easily install them.

Highly recommend the OEM H4 conversion. They were plug and play on my '78.
The note on the Cityracer website for these mentions:

"Note: On early cars with closed headlight buckets, the wires need to be pushed out from the OEM socket and fed through the small opening of the headlight bucket individually (see photo). Once each wire is fed through the hole of the bucket , you can connect the wires back into the OEM sockets and hook up the headlights."

I am not sure if a '73 will have closed headlight buckets.

"I am not sure if a '73 will have closed headlight buckets."

If you have the original headlights for a 1973 FJ40, they are not closed buckets. They should look like this, (maybe a bit more patina!) :hmm:

1698111553220.png

What these OEM headlights do is provide is an isolation relay so the increased amperage is not going thru the factory wiring, fuse block and headlight switch. If the 73 still has the fifty year old wiring just isolation kit that is basically plug and play itself makes worth buying the lights.

I bought a set just because of what a bargain they were. You can’t buy the harness & relays or the headlights for the price they go for. Just do it… you won’t regret it unless you don’t want to see the road while driving at night.

I want to grab a set of these. I just wish I could find them with cheaper shipping because I know my local Toyota dealership is going to jack the price up on these. Is it common for the dealerships to sell things way over MSRP?

What these OEM headlights do is provide is an isolation relay so the increased amperage is not going thru the factory wiring, fuse block and headlight switch. If the 73 still has the fifty year old wiring just isolation kit that is basically plug and play itself makes worth buying the lights.
I thought that kit also included H4 bulbs and reflectors to replace the original sealed beem bulbs?

I had replaced my sealed beam bulbs with hella reflectors and bulbs a while back:
Amazon product ASIN B0002M9QK6
And last month doing some other wiring saw a relay kit and decided to install it also, which would be pretty much plug and play, having a plug on it to mate with the original headlight bulb plug that it continued to use for switching the relays on / off:
Amazon product ASIN B07M6W1PMK
But, that OEM kit is probably actually cheaper and maybe better quality, the wiring probably would have been easier to just do from scratch rather than the hatchet job I did so that I could get the relays to mount in a box I installed:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MR64XK1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I also used other relays in it for some aftermarket fog lights I installed, and a new relay for the horn (which the PO left some random junk relay mounted to the apron side with a sheet metal screw...).

I thought that kit also included H4 bulbs and reflectors to replace the original sealed beem bulbs?

I had replaced my sealed beam bulbs with hella reflectors and bulbs a while back:
Amazon product ASIN B0002M9QK6
And last month doing some other wiring saw a relay kit and decided to install it also, which would be pretty much plug and play, having a plug on it to mate with the original headlight bulb plug that it continued to use for switching the relays on / off:
Amazon product ASIN B07M6W1PMK
But, that OEM kit is probably actually cheaper and maybe better quality, the wiring probably would have been easier to just do from scratch rather than the hatchet job I did so that I could get the relays to mount in a box I installed:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MR64XK1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I also used other relays in it for some aftermarket fog lights I installed, and a new relay for the horn (which the PO left some random junk relay mounted to the apron side with a sheet metal screw...).

Yes the kit is complete. Have the glass housing the H4. Still uses metal headlight housing.

The link for Amazon relay kit is for a single lamp. With the kit is times two. Believe the 60 and 70 in the part number is for those two series. But because the lamps are the same kit works basically just need to provide the separate power for the lamps. The stock wiring just powers the relay coils. Kit provides the wiring for the direct power source off the battery with an in line fuse.

You do realize the Amazon links are X2 unless I missed something? Price on the Toyota kit is hard to beat. Also get Koito lamps which would be OEM manufacturer.

Last edited:
Yes the kit is complete. Have the glass housing the H4. Still uses metal headlight housing.

The link for Amazon relay kit is for a single lamp. With the kit is times two. Believe the 60 and 70 in the part number is for those two series. But because the lamps are the same kit works basically just need to provide the separate power for the lamps. The stock wiring just powers the relay coils. Kit provides the wiring for the direct power source off the battery with an in line fuse.

You do realize the Amazon links are X2 unless I missed something? Price on the Toyota kit is hard to beat. Also get Koito lamps which would be OEM manufacturer.
The Hella kit I bought included both, I think, it was many years ago... I see now they have a kit that I assume includes both, $95. And the wiring kit is separate. KC has a similar kit I used before with H4 bulbs that's even more expensive. There are some others I remember listed "for jeeps" ( 7" round sealed beams that can be replaced by the glass, reflector and halogen bulb) that had a plastic lens advertising better impact resistance.

I bought the lights (reflectors and bulbs) long before I was aware of the Toyota kit, it's nice, but I'd probably get the Toyota kit it I did it again, if only based on price. If I really wanted brighter / whiter lights I'd get LED replacements, but I rarely drive my FJ40 at night anymore, too cold without the roof...

Absolutely recommend the installation of the kit. The one issues is that the wiring harness is long. I took the time to shorten it to length and built a relay holder to under the hood.

Lots of options for running the wire.

I want to grab a set of these. I just wish I could find them with cheaper shipping because I know my local Toyota dealership is going to jack the price up on these. Is it common for the dealerships to sell things way over MSRP?
If it is of any help, Ive used Serra Toyota of Birmingham who gives you free shipping if your order above 75$, maybe theres something else you may need as well to get above the 75 limit. Note: Sign in as a guest, as when I signed in providing a different state address, it wouldn't let me buy from them, the website offered to take me to another Toy dealership. I just closed the session and started all over again. No problem at all!

If it is of any help, Ive used Serra Toyota of Birmingham who gives you free shipping if your order above 75$, maybe theres something else you may need as well to get above the 75 limit. Note: Sign in as a guest, as when I signed in providing a different state address, it wouldn't let me buy from them, the website offered to take me to another Toy dealership. I just closed the session and started all over again. No problem at all!
I appreciate the tip. I actually called my dealership to get a price check. To my surprise, they had them for $32.76. I found many options in the $16-$20 range, but shipping would have put me over $32, so I'm happy. Unfortunately, I was also looking for some other parts but their price was way higher than Cruiser Outfitters. I just wish my local dealership sold parts for MSRP or lower like many others do.

I appreciate the tip. I actually called my dealership to get a price check. To my surprise, they had them for $32.76. I found many options in the $16-$20 range, but shipping would have put me over $32, so I'm happy. Unfortunately, I was also looking for some other parts but their price was way higher than Cruiser Outfitters. I just wish my local dealership sold parts for MSRP or lower like many others do.
1698239792166.png

This is the price from Serra Toyota, plus free shipping if you get above 75$. Not related at all to them, just passing useful info to my fellow cruiserheads!

I've used Genuine Toyota Parts and Accessories: Official Online Store | Autoparts.toyota.com - https://autoparts.toyota.com/ several times over the years for other things.

They will show MSRP and a list of dealers based on zip code. Dealers will typically all show different discounts, and all offered some discount off MSRP on anything I've checked online, usually between 10% to 20%. Just walking in or calling on the phone, from my expirience with my local dealer, I think they charge OVER MSRP....

Some of the dealers will also allow local pickup for online orders. I purchased a new bumper cover for my prius last year, shipping would've been at least $100 from several sites I checked (6 foot long), was able to find a dealer 60 miles away that did local pickup and a decent discount. It can be kinda time consuming and repetitive to shift the zip code around and check dealers all over but for larger items can be worth the time (I got a radiator shipped from 2 a dealer in a different state once, best price...).

I've used Genuine Toyota Parts and Accessories: Official Online Store | Autoparts.toyota.com - https://autoparts.toyota.com/ several times over the years for other things.

They will show MSRP and a list of dealers based on zip code. Dealers will typically all show different discounts, and all offered some discount off MSRP on anything I've checked online, usually between 10% to 20%. Just walking in or calling on the phone, from my expirience with my local dealer, I think they charge OVER MSRP....

Some of the dealers will also allow local pickup for online orders. I purchased a new bumper cover for my prius last year, shipping would've been at least $100 from several sites I checked (6 foot long), was able to find a dealer 60 miles away that did local pickup and a decent discount. It can be kinda time consuming and repetitive to shift the zip code around and check dealers all over but for larger items can be worth the time (I got a radiator shipped from 2 a dealer in a different state once, best price...).
This is perfect. I just searched for a couple of part numbers and I see a few Toyota dealerships listed. They are all a little ways away from me, but it would be worth making a stop around a planned trip to get some things I need without overpaying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom