100 Series Rear Bumper Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mr2m1

SILVER Star
Threads
I was asked by a buddy in our Land Cruiser group to build a custom bumper for his 100 series. If anyone is interested, I have been “loosely” documenting the progress.

I downloaded a 3D model of 100 series to use as reference and for communicating a design to the owner. I then designed the bumper in Fusion 360 and placed it in the model with the cruiser.
J100-Rear Bumper-ISO 1.jpg
J100-Rear Bumper-ISO 2.jpg
J100-Rear Bumper-ISO 3.jpg

Here’s the cruiser waiting for me to get started.
Start.JPEG

Time to remove the bumper, splash guards and tow hitch.
IMG_001.JPEG
IMG_002.JPEG

I designed this bumper to maintain the cross member. The cross member will help with towing capacity for the owners’ camp trailer.
IMG_003.JPEG

Swing arm parts have arrived!
IMG_004.JPEG

To be continued....

Last edited:
What year LC? I have a 2001 and need mud flaps. If your buddy is willing to part with them i would be willing to buy.

I spent several days doing a foam board mock-up. Even though I had modeled this in CAD the mock-up was needed to check fitment and the overall look.
What year LC? I have a 2001 and need mud flaps. If your buddy is willing to part with them i would be willing to buy.
Its a 2000. I will check with the owner.

Thanks for the comments.....back to the build.

I spent several days doing a foam board mock-up. Even though I had modeled this in CAD the mock-up was needed to check fitment and the overall look.I spent several days doing a foam board mock-up. Even though I had modeled this in CAD the mock-up was needed to check fitment and the overall look.
IMG_006.JPEG
IMG_007.JPEG

3/16” Steel loaded on the CNC. I don’t have an overhead lift, this was a major pain in the ass to place on there.
IMG_008.JPEG

Parts to attach to the bottom of the frame and attach the “wings” with the main bumper.
IMG_009.JPEG
IMG_010.JPEG

Tacking the wings into place.
IMG_011.JPEG

Tacking the main bumper into place.
IMG_012.JPEG

This is the setup for the tow receiver tube. I have a video of the process but can’t figure out how to post on here. I used my plasma cutter to cut a 2.5” square through the cross member then drilled 4 holes for M14 grade 10 bolts and nuts. As mentioned earlier this should help carry the load for the trailer in addition to the bumper.
IMG_013.JPEG

To be continued......

Last edited:
I like it.

I'm assuming an engineering stress analysis was performed on the virtual model.

Also, aluminum considered?
No I haven't done an engineering stress analysis on the model. To my knowledge Fusion 360 doesn't have that option.

To answer your other question. Im not a huge fan of using aluminum for this build, but it was discussed briefly.

Moving on to the swing arms......

Cutting the 4X2 for the swing arms.
IMG_014.JPEG

Drilling for the hinge tubing on the swing arm.
IMG_015.JPEG
IMG_016.JPEG

Hinge and part of the swing arm tacked in place.
IMG_017.JPEG

Cutting 1.5 tubing for the ladder and tire carrier.
IMG_018.JPEG

Making the bends for the tire carrier.
IMG_019.JPEG

Tire carrier tacked into place and the new KM4 test fit for height.
IMG_020.JPEG

Lowered the KM4 for a better center of gravity.
IMG_021.JPEG

More posts tomorrow...

Got a little more done yesterday.

Did some coping for the ladder rungs.
IMG_5877.JPEG

IMG_5878.JPEG

Everything was going good until I stripped the threads in the hole saw and had to get creative. I tried adding a washer and that worked for a minute then the hole saw caught the tubing and I stripped the threads again. In the end I just welded a chunk of steel onto the hole saw that had a hole in it that was threaded
IMG_5880.JPEG
IMG_5882.JPEG

IMG_5884.JPEG

Ladder looking like a ladder.
IMG_5888.JPEG

Today I cut and bent the bracket for the tire carrier and the supporting gusset.
IMG_5889.JPEG

IMG_5890.JPEG

IMG_5891.JPEG

Much more on the way.

Here is the tire carrier mostly welded up.
IMG_5892.jpg

Drilling for the latch holes on the back of the swing arm.
IMG_5894.jpg

Making a plate for the latch catch that mounts to the bumper.
IMG_5933.jpg
IMG_5934.jpg
IMG_5935.jpg

These brackets will mount to the swing arms.
IMG_5939.jpg

Everything test fitted before powder coating.

Without tire.
IMG_5946.jpg

With tire.
IMG_5947.jpg

Any chance you’re selling the stock bumper cover lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom