100 Series Rear Bumper Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love it.

I was questioning wether to post this as I don't want to dissuade ingenuity.

watch for fatigue on the spindle to bumper interface due to the top end of the spindle not being constrained.

Wow....that's some impressive fab skills.
Thanks, I spent a lot of time on it. I'm really grateful the owners were so patient. I had their cruiser at my place for several months. :)

Wish I had a chance to see this in person. Looks amazing Jason!
Thanks, it was a fun project.

I was questioning wether to post this as I don't want to dissuade ingenuity.

watch for fatigue on the spindle to bumper interface due to the top end of the spindle not being constrained.
Thanks for your concern.

I would like to point out that when in the closed/latched position the swing arm rests on the bumper with a 3/8" thick UHMW pad mounted to the bottom of the swing arm located at the end. This takes the "offset" load of the tire off of the spindle while in the closed position. Of course when the latch is released then part of the load (offset) is transferred back to the spindle.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Its time to wrap up this build.

Finally its powder coat time!
IMG_5989.jpg

A cup of semi gloss black.
IMG_5990.jpg

Fresh out of the oven.
IMG_5994.jpg

The fuel that keeps me going, meat snacks and Modelo.
IMG_5996.jpg

Big bumper getting cleaned before coating.
IMG_5998.jpg

Powder is on and ready to be baked at 400 degrees.
IMG_6003.jpg

Finishing up some grinding and blending before coating.
IMG_6037.jpg

Waiting for powder.
IMG_6046.jpg

Powder on, into the oven is next.
IMG_6049.jpg

Last batch of photos. Its assembly time!

Big boy bumper on first.
IMG_6033.jpg

The wings were mounted next. I didn't get to many photos of installation as I was just focused on fitment and trying not to scratch anything.
IMG_6068.jpg

All parts are on, onto the next project.
IMG_6076.jpg

IMG_6081.jpg

IMG_6082.jpg

IMG_6083.jpg

This was a fun build, I learned a few things along the way. If I were to build one of these again I would try to have more bends where the different pieces come together. Unfortunately I don't have a big press brake so I would have to sub that out.

Also, thanks to @DiegoCrzr for letting me have your truck in my driveway for a few months while I figured this thing out, I really appreciate it.

Now its time to enjoy this, thanks again Diego.
IMG_6140.jpg

Thanks for your concern.

I would like to point out that when in the closed/latched position the swing arm rests on the bumper with a 3/8" thick UHMW pad mounted to the bottom of the swing arm located at the end. This takes the "offset" load of the tire off of the spindle while in the closed position. Of course when the latch is released then part of the load (offset) is transferred back to the spindle.
10-4 on that. I got wind of that issue via one of Patche's videos...you know...the guy who beats the hell out of his 100. he had a fatigue failure on on of his bumper spindles. doesn't take much movement. I also heard of that scenario from one of my club peers who is a vendor in this world (not bumpers). He sees a lot of rigs on his national marketing rounds.

Hey, if it works......

Love the post(s)! This is very relevant to my current interest as trails seem to keep snatching my bumper off. I think the premium version of 360 has a FEA suite now but I roll with the free version. I’m curious do you know what it weighs? Looks awesome and thanks for sharing some motivation!

10-4 on that. I got wind of that issue via one of Patche's videos...you know...the guy who beats the hell out of his 100.
I haven't heard of Patche, I searched for them on YouTube but couldn't find them.

Hey, if it works......
It'll work fine, I have this same setup on my 60 and my old 40 and never had an issue.

Do you foresee the need for gussets on either the ladder or tire carrier?
(where they meet the swing arm)
I would have added them if the round tubing sat on the rectangular tubing. Instead I drilled through both walls of the rectangular tubing and passed the round tubing thru both walls, so the round tubing is welded on the bottom and top of the swing arm tube.

Love the post(s)! This is very relevant to my current interest as trails seem to keep snatching my bumper off. I think the premium version of 360 has a FEA suite now but I roll with the free version. I’m curious do you know what it weighs? Looks awesome and thanks for sharing some motivation!
Thanks for the info and the kind words. I have the premium version and it does come with simulation features, I will try a few of them to see what the results are.

As for the bumper, it weighs about 225 lbs without the tire. I almost used 1 whole 4'x8' sheet of 3/16" steel to make the bumper.

Nice job! What's planned here?

IMG_6083.jpg

If flip down, it might run into the tailgate. Flip up might be more desirable... tiered workspace.

I haven't heard of Patche, I searched for them on YouTube but couldn't find them.

It'll work fine, I have this same setup on my 60 and my old 40 and never had an issue.

I would have added them if the round tubing sat on the rectangular tubing. Instead I drilled through both walls of the rectangular tubing and passed the round tubing thru both walls, so the round tubing is welded on the bottom and top of the swing arm tube.

Thanks for the info and the kind words. I have the premium version and it does come with simulation features, I will try a few of them to see what the results are.

As for the bumper, it weighs about 225 lbs without the tire. I almost used 1 whole 4'x8' sheet of 3/16" steel to make the bumper.
smart typing typo: search "cruiser patch" on youtube. Look for rear bumper vids.

Came to find this build after you mentioned it at meetup yesterday. Impressive! Nicely done. Makes my weld together coastal off-road project look like a kids Lego set.

Super jealous of that CNC plasma table.

Cheers, Ryan

I want this:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom