JDM 1998 Land Cruiser 100 bumper removal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, newbie here. Just purchased a Japan Domestic Market 100 series. Only 68K and really clean. There are quite a few aesthetic changes I want to make asap and have already run into issues. 😁 Has anyone had experience removing the front bumper lip? It has a bunch of clips holding it to the regular bumper cover that I can’t figure out. Pic of clip attached, the other side not pictured is a Philips screw head.
Thanks

don’t think the pic came through, let me try again…

IMG_2654.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. The challenge is you can’t get to the Phillips head on most of the clips to unscrew them. I’m thinking I need to completely remove the bumper cover to gain access. Was hoping there was a trick to get them off.

Id think you can sneak you hand in there from removing a few clips off the inner fender liners and pulling them back for access or getting them from underneath or from the top with a long extension? I’d try everything before removing the bumper. Which area is it the hardest to reach?

Agreed. I need to get a better look in the light of day. It rained here all day yesterday and I was in the garage with a light trying to figure it out. Once I figure it out I’ll post.
Thanks!

Agreed. I need to get a better look in the light of day. It rained here all day yesterday and I was in the garage with a light trying to figure it out. Once I figure it out I’ll post.
Thanks!
Sorry I couldn’t t help more , I don’t think many folks in here will have experience with a cool JDM rig like yours but I look forward to seeing what you do w it! Btw where did you find it? Been wanting to import a jdm car for ages and it seems like it’s getting easier nowadays.

I found it at Duncan Imports Duncan Imports & Classics | JDM Vehicles in Christiansburg - https://www.duncanimports.com/
They have 2 locations, one in VA and one in the Nashville area where I found mine. Great to work with, good reputable place.
To legally import, the vehicle has to be at least 25 years old so we should start seeing a lot of JDM 100-series being offered in the States soon. They typically have fewer miles (Kilometers 😉) and if you can learn to drive on the right side and switch your brain to Kilometers you can find great deals

Update. Got the bumper lip off after much weeping and gnashing of teeth. You have to take off the entire bumper cover, unplug and remove the fog lights and since this has headlight washers, had to be careful not to break any hoses. Also had to drill the heads off of several of the screws becuase the nuts had seized and screws stripped.
But it was well worth it, looks way better IMO even with the holes it left in the bumper cover.
Next project: hood struts 😁

IMG_2656.jpeg

IMG_2658.jpeg

IMG_2660.jpeg

I found it at Duncan Imports Duncan Imports & Classics | JDM Vehicles in Christiansburg - https://www.duncanimports.com/
They have 2 locations, one in VA and one in the Nashville area where I found mine. Great to work with, good reputable place.
To legally import, the vehicle has to be at least 25 years old so we should start seeing a lot of JDM 100-series being offered in the States soon. They typically have fewer miles (Kilometers 😉) and if you can learn to drive on the right side and switch your brain to Kilometers you can find great deals
Thanks I’ll definitely look them up 😎
Update. Got the bumper lip off after much weeping and gnashing of teeth. You have to take off the entire bumper cover, unplug and remove the fog lights and since this has headlight washers, had to be careful not to break any hoses. Also had to drill the heads off of several of the screws becuase the nuts had seized and screws stripped.
But it was well worth it, looks way better IMO even with the holes it left in the bumper cover.
Next project: hood struts 😁

View attachment 3556171

View attachment 3556172

View attachment 3556173
awesome! Sucks you had to take the bumper off :/

Vast improvement with that lip removed, nice work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom