FJ40 Gas Tank Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1973 FJ40 with an aftermarket gas tank in the rear. It has a 3" lift to accommodate the tank. My son (13 years old), dad and I are going to do a frame off restoration over the next couple of years and get this thing nice for my son's first vehicle.

We want to lower the FJ back down to factory height and are looking for gas tank options. We would like to keep the gas tank in the rear of the FJ if possible instead of under the passenger's seat.

I have taken a look at some of the aftermarket tanks and they look great, minus the $800 to $1500 price tag - man a fre, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas of an aftermarket tank that will fit in a FJ40 below the tub without having to use a lift? I am open to tanks of other vehicle makes, etc. The key is being able to fit a decent size gas tank back there (i.e. 16 gallons). I don't see my son doing any serious wheeling where he would worry about puncturing the tank.

I have heard of people getting tanks made for them custom for $250 - 300 but I don't know if that is a good choice (I don't want anything to catch on fire due to a faulty gas tank).

Any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated. We are in the Dallas / Fort Worth area if that helps any.

Colby

I have a 1973 FJ40 with an aftermarket gas tank in the rear. It has a 3" lift to accommodate the tank. My son (13 years old), dad and I are going to do a frame off restoration over the next couple of years and get this thing nice for my son's first vehicle.

We want to lower the FJ back down to factory height and are looking for gas tank options. We would like to keep the gas tank in the rear of the FJ if possible instead of under the passenger's seat.

I have taken a look at some of the aftermarket tanks and they look great, minus the $800 to $1500 price tag - man a fre, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas of an aftermarket tank that will fit in a FJ40 below the tub without having to use a lift? I am open to tanks of other vehicle makes, etc. The key is being able to fit a decent size gas tank back there (i.e. 16 gallons). I don't see my son doing any serious wheeling where he would worry about puncturing the tank.

I have heard of people getting tanks made for them custom for $250 - 300 but I don't know if that is a good choice (I don't want anything to catch on fire due to a faulty gas tank).

Any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated. We are in the Dallas / Fort Worth area if that helps any.

Colby
Hi Colby, Jim @Downey sells a tank setup for the rear. Larger capacity as well if I remember correctly. I have tagged him here so hopefully he will chime in. If not, you can PM him directly.

Last edited:
Here’s your junkyard huckleberry —> Project FJ 40: Rear Fuel Tank

The above link was in post 5 —> READ ALL THE POSTS, GOOD INFO —>

Be sure you protect it with a sturdy skid plate.

the OEM tank is ~$250 if memory serves

Colby

the OEM tank Location is the Safest place for a tank to be ,

protected by frame under , double thick rocker on side too .....

Anything Aftermarket like a Fuel Cell form some Grey Market dealer in South east

ASIA , you will get screwed sooner rather then later , when it developes a pin hole leak from a crappy weld or you hit a rock off road ,

not to mention Buthchering up your 1/4 panel , to mount a shop made filler port

in most cases .......

Stay factory

Stay Stock

and

Stay Safe ............ :)

Fule Tank and Tube #2.png

There are several options for a rear mounted tank. You know about BTB/Man-A-Fre, then there is Downey if he has any, Marks off road also has a tank which is plastic, I have one just waiting for the time to mount it, and the last one I found was Sunsetmetalfab.net. When I had the body work done on my 40 I moved the filler to the rear and patched where it was on the side. It was a cleaner look that I prefer, got the old tank out of the passenger compartment and somewhat hid the filler in the rear. Not a look for everyone but one I wanted. Same with the tank, some prefer the original tank and location, some don't, personal preference.

DWS_1160.JPG

If you do put one in the rear, make sure to do the filler in a manner that allows fuel to flow unresticted, not a quick 90 degree turn or anything like that. Mine had a poorly made filler neck(I made it!) and nobody but me could get fuel in, and in Oregon it's not self pump. I recently fixed that, but something to think about. By the time I had enough gas i would have a hand cramp from holding the pump nozzle at a mere trickle, it sucked.... now I say " give me five bucks worth" and sit in my 40. Then I drive around the block and repeat.

Drake2, the Downey rear fuel cell can be seen on ebay #254349978638, and the in-tank fuel pump mounting kit on ebay #253592985106 (same ebay store), BUT Mud members do not buy from me on ebay, I merely send you a PayPal invoice.

Do you have a picture of why you need a 3" lift to run your current tank?

The tank that is currently in the FJ is an aftermarket one. From what i can surmise, the reason for the 3" lift is becuase there would not be enough room on top of the tank for the sending unit without it. the bottom of the tub would sit right down on top of it.

Drake2, the Downey rear fuel cell can be seen on ebay #254349978638, and the in-tank fuel pump mounting kit on ebay #253592985106 (same ebay store), BUT Mud members do not buy from me on ebay, I merely send you a PayPal invo
Any other rear auxiliary tanks avaliable? Looking for one for my 76 FJ40.

Just ordered another batch of the Roto Molded tanks, but no eta at this time, just know I'm starting another batch of tanks.

Last edited:
Jim,
I bought one of your tanks from Mark a couple weeks ago. Are any of the skid plates available?
IMG_4629.jpeg

Last edited:
Just ordered another full batch of steel belly skid plates and aluminum gas tank skid plates, not eta yet. They requested samples since they had not built them for awhile, I said all samples sold many moons ago, I told them they had built batches before off the drawings (without sample) and they were perfect, so please proceed- - -no answer back from them yet- - -sooooo stay tuned.

Ok, approved the samples today, perfect. Steel belly/tranny skid plates done now, rear fuel cell aluminum skid plates will be done next Monday. Zero eta on the next batch of rear fuel cells though, I've ordered, but told not to hold my breath ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom