Leaky gas tank..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have owned this rig for about a year. This weekend was the first time I filled the gas tank completely. I walked out this morning to a rather large puddle and an awful smell of gas. I opened the door and was basically knocked over by the smell. One of the PO covered the entire rig with two layers of insulation and then carpet. I have been cutting this s*** out for months. The carpet, insulation and body panels at the rear of the gas tank on the drivers side was soaked with gas. It seeped through the seams in the body. I am still cutting the carpet out around the tank.

20231029_145107.jpg

20231029_160334.jpg

20231029_160346.jpg

Check with Toyota for a new one, it might be available. If so, don’t install it as is. It will need a good coat of primer & paint.

I did the ethanol fuel resistant liner stuff I got from JC Whitney back in the late 80's about 8 years after I got my 72. It had developed a few pin hole weeps in bottom seams. Has never leak or seeped since.

Cool Cruisers out of Texas has gas tanks for what I consider a good price. The old one in my LC was full of pin holes so that's the route I went.

Funny, it didn't leak or seep all day yesterday, came out this morning and the puddle was even bigger than yesterday. I have more insulation and carpet to be removed, some hopefully after that I can get a good look at it.

Possibly time to consider one of my 22 gal. nylon rear fuel cells, no welds, no rust, lab tested stronger than steel tanks. Sad news, after selling literally 1,000's of these tanks from 1970-2023 I have 2 left, then I will finally discontinue them. My Roto Molding company wants me to order too many, wants to take months to build a batch for me, and they now sell too slow- - -way too much money tied up for too long. I'd have to have a serious surge of interest shown to continue this product.

0197204C-0E8A-4D48-904C-54032402109D.jpeg

IMG_8439.JPG

this was the hole in mine. I wouldn't recommend the repair technique though, it's just not for everyone.

Yeah, that went well. Pinhole in the tank. Braze is the answer. Last time me and me pops did a gasoline tank , we almost broke the windows out of the shop. I may or may not post a video afterwards. Now if someone wants to hold my diet coke while I ...

IP8QUUe.jpg

the repair went well

No puppies were injured during the repair so I'm not going to post a video.

The repaired tank; braze was the answer.

q2UQm0k.jpg

f***mz5U.jpg

Possibly time to consider one of my 22 gal. nylon rear fuel cells, no welds, no rust, lab tested stronger than steel tanks. Sad news, after selling literally 1,000's of these tanks from 1970-2023 I have 2 left, then I will finally discontinue them. My Roto Molding company wants me to order too many, wants to take months to build a batch for me, and they now sell too slow- - -way too much money tied up for too long. I'd have to have a serious surge of interest shown to continue this product.

View attachment 3468580

View attachment 3468581
So how much to buy and ship to Boise Idaho? 72FJ40

So, I found a hole in the front top. Took the tank out, what a mess. I guess I will look for a replacement if I can't find someone to repair it.

20231104_164137[1].jpg

20231104_164946[1].jpg

Replacement is a good option for long term. I have had good luck with gas tank epoxy. Brass wire brush the area well, use a good degreaser, let it dry. Then apply the epoxy according to the direction. You might also consider using one of the alcohol proof liner treatments after the patch. Another option would be welding a patch, then the liner treatment. I would start with a careful examination of the tank inside and out - it might be too far gone to waste any effort in fixing it.

I brazed my leaking tank, but I have more time and the skills to do it than the money to replace it. Brazing, welding, soldering, epoxy; there is more than one way you can repair it. There are several ways you can prep a tank for welding, but the most important rule is having someone there who has done it safely and successfully before. As @charliemeyer007 mentioned, make sure its worth attempting before you waste too much effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom