Gas tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. I am a new FJ40 owner. I removed my gas tank to deal with some light rust and am wondering about the holes. Are these supposed to be left open? Won’t water splash in and promote more rust?

Thanks!

Charles

There is an OEM rubber grommet that covers the larger drain hole opening in the floor. Depending upon the model year of your vehicle, it is still available from Toyota I believe. P/N #90950-01901.

Hi. I am a new FJ40 owner. I removed my gas tank to deal with some light rust and am wondering about the holes. Are these supposed to be left open? Won’t water splash in and promote more rust?

There is an OEM rubber grommet that covers the larger drain hole opening in the floor. Depending upon the model year of your vehicle, it is still available from Toyota I believe. P/N #90950-01901.
Thanks. I should gave been more specific but thought i was including a photo which I apparently havnt yet quite figured out how to do. This is 1975. There is a larger hole in the center of the pan which now I know needs the grommet but there is a smaller hole part way up the pan towards the front. Will this also require a grommet?

There is a grommet that fits on your tank cover as well. Protects the connections on your tank.

1E198E66-0A60-4142-89C0-C78B572896CF.jpeg

1B3A6504-A7A8-47FD-8A0D-68CD39807BF4.jpeg

I think this is what you are referring to. I used a grommet in the larger hole and a plug for the smaller hole. Mainly for any “waterborne” ops or wet operating environments. I also removed the larger grommet periodically just to let it breath. Not sure what conditions you are driving in out in Idaho.

23EB2F1A-AD27-4F21-8F7D-438B844F3B19.jpeg

I stand corrected: I misused the term "grommet" when I should have referred to the rubber piece as a "plug." To the original poster: There are a number of useful ways to search for Toyota part numbers for the model-year specific to your vehicle. One of my favorites is: Toyota parts catalog - Toyota parts catalog - https://toyota-usa.epc-data.com which will have microfiche illustrations with exploded parts diagrams. Once you are armed with a part number, you can usually quickly determine f the part is NLA (No Longer Available) or can be had through a dealer's parts department. Surprisingly, a plethora pf parts are still available for these old rigs. If you find that the part that you are looking for is NLA, go to Plan "B", the search function on the upper left corner will often lead you to a vendor that sells an after-market alternative . Finally, the classified section will often put you in touch with a forum member who has the exact part that you are looking for.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom