Gas tank issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So finally got out to attempt to clear the fuel supply line. I got a long wire brush and put it down the supply tube, it stopped at 15.75 inches. Then I took another one, cut the ring off and attached to my drill, same result. Then took the air compressor and shot air into the fuel supply line, nothing out the other holes. Took the air compressor and shot into the tank at the drain screw, no air out the fuel supply line.

Any other suggests or am i stuck buying a 600+ new tank?

You shouldn't pay more then about $450 for a new tank. Just buy the new one from Toyota and enjoy your fresh fuel supply for the rest of your life.

It stopped , the wire brush ? did it have lots of black stuff on the tip ? did you hear it tap the bottom of tank ? I have not looked at my tank in awhile but it look like the drain bolt is just below the pick up, may be able to get a visual or use a scope cam ?

Take it to a radiator shop. With The number of sizes and shapes of rods they have for rodding cores, and the experience at using compressed air, they can clean your line. You won’t have a functional pickup screen anymore, but since they will be boiling out your tank, you shouldn’t need one for a long time.

It stopped , the wire brush ? did it have lots of black stuff on the tip ? did you hear it tap the bottom of tank ? I have not looked at my tank in awhile but it look like the drain bolt is just below the pick up, may be able to get a visual or use a scope cam ?

So I have now taken it out of the truck, yes, it hit the bottom, nothing on the tip. Used a wire coat hanger as well, stopped at 15.25 inches. The the wire brush again, nothing. Used air again, nothing when used at the fuel supply, air leaves the tank at every other spot when air is used except the fuel supply line.

I did scope the tank from the drain plug, didn't see anything.

Called Toyota, $616 for a OEM 69 tank.

this is why i always recommend just throwing a new tank at it. fixing a rusty tank is a crap shoot at best, messing with a used tank that isnt leaking is just waiting for that tank to leak.
$450, one time and you are done messing with a tank that is supposed to have gasoline in it.

this is why i always recommend just throwing a new tank at it. fixing a rusty tank is a crap shoot at best, messing with a used tank that isnt leaking is just waiting for that tank to leak.
$450, one time and you are done messing with a tank that is supposed to have gasoline in it.

Stopping by my buddys speed shop tomorrow, he said he would take a look at it. If he can not work his magic, I found one for $395 plus $96 shipping.

If the brush went thru and hit bottom of tank and still no air, thats odd, any residue on brush ? could you see bottom of pick up with scope ? you are refering to the pick up as the port on the side of tank ? use the air as you pull brush out ? did you por the pickup screen Mark made reference to , that would splain things.

The brush went down 15.25 inches, I do not know if it hit the bottom, but its hitting something. I think I would have felt it hitting the bottom of the tank. Both brushes came out clean. The scope end is too long to make the downward turn in the fuel pick up tube, so it only goes in like 9 inches.

I meant scope thru drain hole to see if screen at end of pick up is full of por

It’s most likely the por liner lifting. I lined mine with it a bit over a year ago, and it lifted and started blocking the exit port at the tank bottom, stopping the truck dead. BTDT. I couldn’t find a new one at any dealer due to COVID stopping production. So I bought the replica tank from CCOT. Query on my posting name and you can read my experiences. Yes, you can get the tank cleaned, but I don’t really trust aftermarket liners at this point. YMMV.

Wednesday I took the tank over to my buddies speed shop. I told him what I have already tried and he tried basically the same thing but with a thicker and stiffer metal rod. After 2 hours messing with this and trying different things, he said lets do something really stupid, heat the rod really hot and then jamb it down the supply tube and see if the heat would penetrate the liner. I nicely declined that offer as I didn't want to blow up his shop, lol.

So yesterday I found one on the east coast and purchased it, hopefully it will be here the first week of January.

Once in and working, I am gonna cut the old one in half and take a look at the inside and see what i did to the tank.

Thank you all for your help and educated guidance, I am sure I will be asking more un-educated question, but I am learning about this rig everyday.

Happy Holidays!

Wednesday I took the tank over to my buddies speed shop. I told him what I have already tried and he tried basically the same thing but with a thicker and stiffer metal rod. After 2 hours messing with this and trying different things, he said lets do something really stupid, heat the rod really hot and then jamb it down the supply tube and see if the heat would penetrate the liner. I nicely declined that offer as I didn't want to blow up his shop, lol.

So yesterday I found one on the east coast and purchased it, hopefully it will be here the first week of January.

Once in and working, I am gonna cut the old one in half and take a look at the inside and see what i did to the tank.

Thank you all for your help and educated guidance, I am sure I will be asking more un-educated question, but I am learning about this rig everyday.

Happy Holidays!
The liner clogged the tube. I did one and kept turning it and blowing air in the lines to keep them open. I ran that tank for a while and then when I rebuilt it, I put a new tank in. I think if you let it sit it would all run to the bottom of the tank.

The liner clogged the tube. I did one and kept turning it and blowing air in the lines to keep them open. I ran that tank for a while and then when I rebuilt it, I put a new tank in. I think if you let it sit it would all run to the bottom of the tank.

I turned it every 30 minutes or so, but didn't blow air into it. We will find out after new one is installed and working, I will cut the old one in half and take a look just to be curious.

So according to Toyota parts department, this is one of 3 OEM Toyota gas tanks in the country. Installation process starts tomorrow.

Other than blowing some air into it to get any dust out, anything else that I should do before installation?

20240105_212025.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom