Gas tank issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have previously posted my issue with my gas tank. Instead of repairing the rusty tank, I got a used one that was not leaking and the inside looked good through a scope.

I decided to use the por's tank liner and all came out nice, looked real good through the scope.

I installed the tank with new hoses and put in gas today. No gas into the fuel filter. So I traced back, all lines are clear. I put the scope down the gas inlet, it only goes as far as the bend. Then I took a piece of wire, it went in all the way and came out dry.

There is about 5 to 6 gallons of gas in the tank.

So is it clogged at the bottom of the pick up, rust, por's tank liner, or does the tank need more gas in it since it was completely empty and I am missing some weird trick?

I did put the hose from the electric pump into a gas can and it fired right up.

Thanks

Any suggestions to unclog?
Bore brush, or something similar on a flexible rod.

You said you pushed a coat hanger through?

Can you get a visual on the pick up tube from the inside with the sender unit removed? I forgot if it's visible or not.

Be careful with air pressure, you can rupture stuff very easily. Pump out the tank / drain all you can. Use a a piece of wire cable say 1/8 or 3/16 od and spin it up the outlet fitting carefully. I suspect you block the fitting with liner stuff. I'd do the other fittings as well. Hope you sender is still good too.

I have previously posted my issue with my gas tank. Instead of repairing the rusty tank, I got a used one that was not leaking and the inside looked good through a scope.

I decided to use the por's tank liner and all came out nice, looked real good through the scope.

I installed the tank with new hoses and put in gas today. No gas into the fuel filter. So I traced back, all lines are clear. I put the scope down the gas inlet, it only goes as far as the bend. Then I took a piece of wire, it went in all the way and came out dry.

There is about 5 to 6 gallons of gas in the tank.

So is it clogged at the bottom of the pick up, rust, por's tank liner, or does the tank need more gas in it since it was completely empty and I am missing some weird trick?

I did put the hose from the electric pump into a gas can and it fired right up.

Thanks

always helpful to state year make and modle TOYOTA your dealing with here ?

ill assume your 1969 FJ40 avatar is it for now ?

here is the 1969 FJ40 fuel tank and related parts

study this in great detail , like 2-3 times until you fully understand the plumbing and Routing ,

this will intern , create the correct diagnoses , as your simply confirm and verify all the below is correct and matches your 1969 :santa: :)

1969 fj40.jpg

always helpful to state year make and modle TOYOTA your dealing with here ?

ill assume your 1969 FJ40 avatar is it for now ?

here is the 1969 FJ40 fuel tank and related parts

study this in great detail , like 2-3 times until you fully understand the plumbing and Routing ,

this will intern , create the correct diagnoses , as your simply confirm and verify all the below is correct and matches your 1969 :santa: :)

View attachment 3503313

1969 FJ40, SBC 350, the gas tank for not have the extra hoses, just fuel filler, vent and fuel. Fuel line goes to a electric holley fuel pump. I know its the tank, when I take the fuel line and put directly into a fuel container, she fires right up.

Is the electric pump close to the fuel tank. The fuel supply line goes from just off the bottom to about half way up the tank before coming out the side closest to the drivers seat. Electric pumps push very well but are poor at siphoning. It could be with only 5 gallons in the tank the level is to low for the electric pump to suck it up and to the pump.

Is the electric pump close to the fuel tank. The fuel supply line goes from just off the bottom to about half way up the tank before coming out the side closest to the drivers seat. Electric pumps push very well but are poor at siphoning. It could be with only 5 gallons in the tank the level is to low for the electric pump to suck it up and to the pump.
I would say the hose is about 24 to 26 inches long from the tank to the pump. When I stuck the wire in the tank through the fuel inlet, it went in about 16 inches, shouldn't the end of the wire be wet with gas?

1969 FJ40, SBC 350, the gas tank for not have the extra hoses, just fuel filler, vent and fuel. Fuel line goes to a electric holley fuel pump. I know its the tank, when I take the fuel line and put directly into a fuel container, she fires right up.

so ,

remove the suction line hose

have a fire extinguisher handy

snuff out all cigs , cigars , and glass pipes

get a metal coat hanger

ream it out using kid gloves

have bucket ready to catch gas as when u bust thru the tank sealer u dumped inside you better have a PLAN A in effect !

have
NEW hose and NEW clamp's standing by arms reacha away

eazy peezy ..,.

just make sure u think this out all step by steps first !

then install a TWIN / HIS and HERS OEM Fuel Filter SYSTEM in-effect right away !!!

do NOT start the engine

u need to PRE-TRAP All crap in OEM transparent fuel filtert #1 , and ZERO in #2 down the line

you understand this DOUBLE fuel filters trapping set up ?

carry a spare TRAP - pre filter at all times

use these same 2 below ,

have extras in glove box because u can swap out anytime in only few minuys at the local what ever parking lot when it gets starts glogegd

THIS IS THE WAY ,,,:santa::):santa:

1702245541384.jpeg

1702245552905.jpeg

image11111111111 - Copy.jpeg
image (2).jpg

1702245649914.png

I would say the hose is about 24 to 26 inches long from the tank to the pump. When I stuck the wire in the tank through the fuel inlet, it went in about 16 inches, shouldn't the end of the wire be wet with gas?

If you look at this picture:

DSC01058[1].JPG

The fuel supply line takes a 90 degree turn and is about an inch short of the long piece of tape. I don't know if 16" is long enough to make it to the bottom of the tank.

DSC01063[1].JPG

It might be that the coat hanger simply bound up before getting to the end of the line.

KIS. Even a bicycle pump hooked up to the outlet should be enough to generate audible bubbles in the tank if the air is getting through. And if air can’t get through, gas can’t get out.

Assuming you can get bubbles, retest operation. If you can’t maintain driving speed, you might need compressed air to clean the pickup. AND IF THAT WORKS, drain the tank so the pickup doesn’t pick it up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom