What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I see the ad, says Kroil Original Foumula. You mean to tell me that the EPA hasn't fkd with that yet? They've ruined everything else.
Shhh…..🤫

Merry Christmas everyone 🎄 had some free time today and decided to replace/upgrade the dash lights in my 1977 FJ40. I will include the lights that ordered from Superbrightleds.com & if does anyone know if the round connector (pic2) that plugs into the back of the cluster will only go in one way or if I have to align it correctly? Any recommendations on lube for the speedometer cable?
Pic 1: 2 screws that have to be removed to tilt dash forward ( I removed the speedometer cable by loosening the line from the holders on the body and it gave me enough slack to push the cable into the cab tilting the cluster forward. I then used a zip tie to secure the cable and a small flathead to pry around the base of the cable and it came free.)
Pic 2: Round connector that needs to be removed to pull out cluster gently pull the connector off.
Pic 3: Positive and negative connections for the cluster and the zip tie I used to get the speedo cable off in the background
Pic 4: Lights I used to replace “yazaki” bulbs that were in cluster
Pic 5: Cluster taken out and bulbs replaced. To remove the old bulbs twist counter clockwise and the black sockets should come out then pull the bulb out of the socket.

View attachment 3516929View attachment 3516935View attachment 3516936View attachment 3516937

View attachment 3516949
Great write up on this DIY project. I need to do mine and this will help! Cheers

Finished up my head gasket install, adjusted valves, filled up the oil and coolant then started it up. Running great to my surprise, none of my hoses are leaking and it sounds like the valves are within spec, so I let it idle for a few minutes and warm up.

Notice a bit of white smoke from the exhaust that seems to get worse the longer it runs. Unfortunately it also appears the cooling system is building pressure as well as the hoses are very tight. So I shut it off after about 10 minutes.

Guessing this head is cracked somewhere, I have heard these are more prone to cracking than earlier 2F heads were. Find it strange that my head gasket would blow, head would crack and the radiator split open all within a couple minutes of each other. Don't know why I seem to have the worst luck with Toyota engines.

Back in the 90s I managed to crack another another head with very similar symptoms, that engine was a 76 2F that had a shaved F head installed. Took a bit to diagnose, found exhaust in the coolant and at the time I just replaced the head to fix it.

This time around I have an 87 2F in the same FJ40. It has flat top pistons, rings and valves seal well, head gasket is new and I know I torqued it correctly, no water in the oil or vice versa. As soon as I get some time I'm going to pull the plugs and check for moisture then do a compression test.

Wondering what my next step is. Doubt heads can be repaired so it seems I need to find another yet again. Later 2F heads seem to be hard to find and expensive, are they my only option? Is it possible to swap an earlier 2F or possibly a later F head onto my 87 block? Appreciate any insight,
was truly hoping to get this 'ol 40 back on the road soon. Searched but can find only limited information on this topic. Thanks!!!

View attachment 3519306

View attachment 3519307
That sucks. Did you get the head checked for flatness - maybe just got warped and needs a skim?

I'd run a compression test now and see which cylinder is causing the problem - at least you'll know where to look.

Good luck

Finished up my head gasket install, adjusted valves, filled up the oil and coolant then started it up. Running great to my surprise, none of my hoses are leaking and it sounds like the valves are within spec, so I let it idle for a few minutes and warm up.

This time around I have an 87 2F in the same FJ40. It has flat top pistons, rings and valves seal well, head gasket is new and I know I torqued it correctly, no water in the oil or vice versa. As soon as I get some time I'm going to pull the plugs and check for moisture then do a compression test.

Wondering what my next step is. Doubt heads can be repaired so it seems I need to find another yet again. Later 2F heads seem to be hard to find and expensive, are they my only option? Is it possible to swap an earlier 2F or possibly a later F head onto my 87 block? Appreciate any insight,
was truly hoping to get this 'ol 40 back on the road soon. Searched but can find only limited information on this topic. Thanks!!!
If you have a flat top piston a later F and any 2F head will fit. I guess the compression will be different with different heads.

I recently had my hood blow open on my FJ40 at highway speed (forever memorialized in my thread "Have you ever wondered"). During the repair, the 51 year-old rubber hood latch bumpers finally gave up the ghost. I couldn't find anyone stocking OEM replacements so I came up with my own fix that is more like stock than the aftermarket bumpers SOR sells as replacements. I got some rubber feet (for cutting boards as I recall) off Amazon and attached them with stainless steel rivets. Though not OEM, it works quite nicely and was a pretty economical fix. The foot print isn't identical (and it has a hollow center for the fastener) so it doesn't perfectly cover the area where the old bumpers rubbed off the paint so I need to address that before it starts to rust. Still, I was pleased with the result.
IMG_7583.JPG
IMG_7537.JPG
IMG_7582.JPG
IMG_7595.JPG

I recently had my hood blow open on my FJ40 at highway speed (forever memorialized in my thread "Have you ever wondered"). During the repair, the 51 year-old rubber hood latch bumpers finally gave up the ghost. I couldn't find anyone stocking OEM replacements so I came up with my own fix that is more like stock than the aftermarket bumpers SOR sells as replacements. I got some rubber feet (for cutting boards as I recall) off Amazon and attached them with stainless steel rivets. Though not OEM, it works quite nicely and was a pretty economical fix. The foot print isn't identical (and it has a hollow center for the fastener) so it doesn't perfectly cover the area where the old bumpers rubbed off the paint so I need to address that before it starts to rust. Still, I was pleased with the result.View attachment 3519878View attachment 3519879View attachment 3519881View attachment 3519882
Jeez! I had that happen to me..... and yes I had to play it cool and get off the road. But I assure my heart was beating out of my chest. I really love the creativity you put into this. Looks factory to me. Job well done.

Let the fun begin, starting on my axle swap. Going from a 74 drum to an 81 with a parking brake on the axle. Also drilled the perches so I can push the axle back a smidge. Installing new energy bushings, they are putting up a little fight as they seem thicker on the flange compared to stock Toyota bushings.

View attachment 3520278

View attachment 3520279

View attachment 3520280

View attachment 3520281
spray the outside of the bushings with a bit of silicon spray and they install easier (at least they did for me)

I've been here in Bogota Colombia for almost two years and have a year to go. Next December 2024 we will be moving back to the USA. I had been searching for the right FJ43 to restore and bring home. I wanted one at the right price, color, options (air conditioning, brakes, etc.) I found one back in February 2023 and thus the fun began. It was a one owner truck with all the imported documents from Japan, many service records, little rust, ran great and was in original condition. My fiance, her family and my friends thought I was crazy for having it taken apart right after I bought it. While it was disassembled we found some rust spots, repaired those and repainted the entire truck in its factory color. I also switched out the fiberglass roof with the old school roof rack, added a winch, snorkel, lift, roll bar, larger wheels and tires, and a host of other modifications, while still retaining the original look (almost) lol. It's been a great journey and I'm looking forward to returning to the US with this truck and keeping it in the family. You all on this forum have been a great inspiration and helpful, thanks. This Land Cruiser will always be my reminder of my good times here in Colombia. Cheers and Happy New Year!

PS, and now the Fiance loves the truck and is happy we did everything.

IMG-20230214-WA0007 (1).jpg

IMG_8029.jpg

9bfbbff0-ec36-4828-a0c2-f5846c667c10.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_1645-EDIT.jpg

Searched but can find only limited information on this topic. Thanks!!!
I suggest a leak-down test in addition to the compression test per @45Dougal - it could tell you if the head is leaking in the exhaust or intake valves etc.

I had good compression on all cylinders and crappy leak-down that was a headscratcher and prompted a complete teardown and a few cases of beer at my friends house in KC. But could be the difference of just yanking the head only or having to remove the engine.

Began work on the rear locker install.
Thanks to @cruisermatt for his wonderful customer service and expertise in setting up the ARB and shipping everything so that it arrived safe and sound.

12.21.2023.Matt's Off-Road Work Bench.2.jpg
12.21.2023.Matt's Off-Road Work Bench.5.jpg

12.30.2023.Old 3rd Member Out.1.jpg

12.30.2023.3rd Member Installed.1.jpg

12.30.2023.Axles Installed.1.jpg

Also thanks to @BenjaminCA for his helpful video and paving the way.

Next up is the air compressor but I'm still pondering the final location and setup.

@Green Bean if I might ask, have you been inside any differential before? Try to determine the critical complexity of the measurements involved. Would I be able to do this on my own, so to speak. I have surprised my self with successes in so many different repairs and re-builds over the decades. I have never been intimidated to dig into anything……but this one just seems to need a lot of precision….. thanks

@Green Bean if I might ask, have you been inside any differential before? Try to determine the critical complexity of the measurements involved. Would I be able to do this on my own, so to speak. I have surprised my self with successes in so many different repairs and re-builds over the decades. I have never been intimidated to dig into anything……but this one just seems to need a lot of precision….. thanks
Sounds to me like @Green Bean had @cruisermatt do the critical setup. Then on a dropout third member like Toyota it’s a pretty simple swap to install done third members.

That said, if you aren’t afraid to dive in, go for it! I had a Jeep TJ that I did front and rear gears and air locker install on and it was my first ever dive into gears. Patience and measuring and I got a great install. Benefit was for less than the price of paying someone for 2 axle setups, I got a set of tools and knowledge and have done a half dozen other gear sets for myself since then.

If you’re hesitant to dive in, no shame in paying someone that knows what they’re doing and get the peace of mind in that.

OTRAMM has a great YouTube video on rebuilding a Toyota diff, check it out and you'll see how easy it is.

@knuckle47 I didn't try to set up the gears. While it looks doable, it also looked like something that I could easily screw up. For me any way, as @Skreddy said, I just let @cruisermatt work his magic since he is all set up for that. Removing and installing the 3rd member is pretty straightforward but boy are they heavy and unwieldy. I think that it would be far easier with a lift and a proper transmission jack setup.

@Green Bean That is exactly how I see it…. Something I can screw up. AND, I can just imagine the weight. I’m afraid that with the other projects I am trying to catch up on it may rob me of the time to enjoy driving it around. I love taking things apart and getting them back together but I am on a balance beam, So to speak.

I don’t hide the fact that I am back loving the FJ after a few decades hiatus. I am also fully aware that I will be 71 next month and wake up every day with new aches and pains. Facing two replacements and months before I might be able to step on a clutch again shortly.

AND THIS IS THE WORSE PART: (SPOILER…not the best thoughts…Some personal s#!t but, WTF! we’re all in the same boat.)

I have very little wrong with me..a few things but nothing I believe will , well…you know. But, Will I be here in 5 years looking for advice on an engine fix or something… I worked in a geriatric population for 12 years on my first career. I was 25 they were 65-100. Many of them did not want to be old, they hated being dependent on someone, they bitched about the cost of everything. In general, not the happiest people. Additionally, one of the spouses always wanted to live in the area I worked in near the ocean…they sold their houses in the populated north and they day they were finally moving to their dream location, one of them had a stroke or debilitating event. All of that investment in life and poof! Or they guy who I saw with spot on his face… 4 months later I see him again with a portion of his jaw removed…ouch.

I have so many of these stories and frankly it is stuck in the back of brain like a thorn in my side and I really wanna drive my Land Cruisers for the next few decades… a lot to catch up on ⌛️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom