Builds Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wowoweewow

Can you snap a pic of what it looks like behind the light, installed? Would like to see what kind of batter clearance/etc remains.
Yeah I can try to snap one. It's a pretty tight fit because the factory lights don't have so much stuff off the back of the light but these push past front core support. I keep a quart of oil and power steering fluid between my Group31 battery and the core support and that all still fits.

holy geez

you bought those ready to run? plug and play? i'm too scared to look up the cost but that cutoff pattern and color is....just wow. those have a better pattern and spread than my LED equipped BMW

holy geez

you bought those ready to run? plug and play? i'm too scared to look up the cost but that cutoff pattern and color is....just wow. those have a better pattern and spread than my LED equipped BMW
Yep plug and play, mostly. The switchback halos need to get tapped into the running lights and blinkers but otherwise complete plug and play.

These are BMW X3 LED projectors.

Yep plug and play, mostly. The switchback halos need to get tapped into the running lights and blinkers but otherwise complete plug and play.

These are BMW X3 LED projectors.
Wow, that's a heck of a deal for plug and play. Is your setup the list price they show on their website or is there additional custom work/ costs on what you went with? I have this goal of retrofitting some Challenger lights but it's 4X the list cost these guys have just to get started and likely to never happen...
Looks great, so does the white 80 on their site!

Wow, that's a heck of a deal for plug and play. Is your setup the list price they show on their website or is there additional custom work/ costs on what you went with? I have this goal of retrofitting some Challenger lights but it's 4X the list cost these guys have just to get started and likely to never happen...
Looks great, so does the white 80 on their site!
pretty sure my setup is list price or at least very close to it. I never even looked at their site. I found them on Instagram and messaged them. Then spoke to Austin (owner) on the phone and discussed what I wanted and price.
But I know my setup is somewhat simple compared to some of the things he can do. So price should be about what’s on their site.

Yeah I can try to snap one. It's a pretty tight fit because the factory lights don't have so much stuff off the back of the light but these push past front core support. I keep a quart of oil and power steering fluid between my Group31 battery and the core support and that all still fits.
I wonder if these will fit with my aluminum windshield washer tank….I have run out or other places for a washer tank.

I got tired of the cheapo slip-on steering wheel covers but the original leather was trashed. So I got one of the leather covers from Loncky and recovered the wheel last night. One more piece to the transition to black interior. Black perforated leather with red stitching. Painted the airbag and column covers too.

Did you put the new cover directly over the existing wheel or cut off the original leather and foam? I'm sitting on a new cover contemplating this right now.

Did you put the new cover directly over the existing wheel or cut off the original leather and foam? I'm sitting on a new cover contemplating this right now.
The new cover should come with some double sided tape that will help hold it in place on the wheel. I did not remove the old leather. I put the new cover right over the top of the original.

I posted this in the "what did you to your 80 this weekend" thread but I'm posting here in the build thread since this is a record to help me remember when I made modifications or repairs.
I can't remember if I shared this or not, but a couple weeks ago my power steering sprung a leak from the hard line section of the high pressure line. Not sure how it developed a leak there, maybe something hit it. In any case I finally got that all sorted out with a new high pressure line.

I parked the truck in my driveway when the leak started and stopped driving the truck. Oddly, I went to move the truck one day and the CEL was on with a code for a misfire in cyl 1. Seemed odd since it was running fine when I parked it but it was definitely misfiring and running rough when I moved the truck. I only ran the motor for about 30 seconds. I suspected the issue might be bad spark plugs so I went ahead and ordered new OEM plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor and crossed my fingers it wasn't something more serious.

I got the plugs swapped out and the plugs didn't look bad in terms of fouling but the electrodes were just about gone so the plug gap was clearly out of spec. Evidence of silt (more on that later) inside the distributor cap.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

The new plugs etc seem to have solved the misfire. Truck is now running nice and smooth and no CEL. I'll keep an eye on things and see if anything else seems off but for now I'm stoked that the needed repair was pretty minor.

Back to the silt. Last year we drove through a particularly deep silt bed while on a trip. I'm still finding silt inside the truck, it got into EVERYTHING! One of the other victims of silt intrusion was my Freedom Retrofit headlights. Silt got into the lights through the breathers. I pulled the lights out back in March but haven't had a chance to do anything about it. After speaking with Austin at Freedom Outfitters and getting a bit of instruction on how to clean them out I finally had some time yesterday to work on them. It was my first time opening up a set of headlights and I was a bit nervous about getting them sealed back up properly.
Kinda had to see but the left side of the light has a light film of silt on the black interior housing and covering the projector lens.

But I successfully got them apart and cleaned out and sealed back up with new Butyl Rubber seal from Diode Dynamics. They look much better.

This afternoon I put them back in the truck. Nice to have them clean and back on there. I've missed the awesome light output and light pattern of the projectors. Hopefully I got them sealed up sufficiently that I don't have future issues with condensation etc. I'll be watching for that over the next few months, but I think I got the fixed up right.

What did you do for replacing the PS high pressure line? OEM or Rock Auto special? I'm about to replace everything related to the PS.

I recently got new tires on the cruiser. I've been extremely happy with the Toyo MT's that I've been running for the past few years. I have been through two sets of them and they are by far my favorite tire I've run. But, I also like to try different tires that look like they have potential. So I hesitantly decided to try something different from the Toyos that have been so good. I decided to try the new Kenda Klever MT2. The tread pattern has similarities to the BFG KM3 and they also have some interesting sidewall tread. Kenda doesn't offer a 37x13.50 like the Toyo so I got the 37x12.50's

I was disappointed however that when compared to the Toyos the Kendas run quite small for a 37. The Toyos are a pretty true 37. But the Kenda measured 35.5"! That's nearly an inch shorter than the advertised diameter.
Here's a photo showing some of size difference compared to one of my Toyos. (Before someone says that the Toyo doesn't have any weight on it, I realize it doesn't in this photo but the measurements I took were of both tires mounted on the wheels and off the truck with no weight on them) The new Toyo (was my spare) measured just shy of 37" and the new Kenda measured 35.5" Frowny face. The difference in width is even more evident.

Oh well, I like how they look and we'll see how they do offroad and on the road over the next several months.

I recently got new tires on the cruiser. I've been extremely happy with the Toyo MT's that I've been running for the past few years. I have been through two sets of them and they are by far my favorite tire I've run. But, I also like to try different tires that look like they have potential. So I hesitantly decided to try something different from the Toyos that have been so good. I decided to try the new Kenda Klever MT2. The tread pattern has similarities to the BFG KM3 and they also have some interesting sidewall tread. Kenda doesn't offer a 37x13.50 like the Toyo so I got the 37x12.50's

I was disappointed however that when compared to the Toyos the Kendas run quite small for a 37. The Toyos are a pretty true 37. But the Kenda measured 35.5"! That's nearly an inch shorter than the advertised diameter.
Here's a photo showing some of size difference compared to one of my Toyos. (Before someone says that the Toyo doesn't have any weight on it, I realize it doesn't in this photo but the measurements I took were of both tires mounted on the wheels and off the truck with no weight on them) The new Toyo (was my spare) measured just shy of 37" and the new Kenda measured 35.5" Frowny face. The difference in width is even more evident.

Oh well, I like how they look and we'll see how they do offroad and on the road over the next several months.

That criminal, I can understand 1/4"-1/2" but 1.5" from the advertise size is unacceptable.
It's far enough off that I would try to return them. I sure my tire guy would exchange them but I have been going to same shop for 35 years.

JMHO The toyo's look way better !!

Last edited:
That criminal, I can under 1/4"-1/2" but 1.5" from the advertise size is unacceptable.
It's far enough off that I would try to return them. I sure my tire guy would exchange them but I have been going to same shop for 35 years.

JMHO The toyo's look way better !!
I know. I debated returning them but it's alright. I'll run them and see how they do. Just need to be aware they run small. If they're good and I get another set I'll just get the 38's. :)

Can't argue about the looks of the Toyos. They're sweet.

Just realized I forgot to add a post to this thread about the Delta tailgate storage I added a few months ago. I ditched my DIY tailgate storage and replaced it with the relatively new offering from Delta. As you'd expect from Delta, it's a quality piece and very sturdy. I've had a few months now and it's been nice. I'm thinking I may add some carpet to the top surface. The bare aluminum can get a little hot out in the sun and can also be blinding if the sun reflects into your eyes. But other than that, very happy with it.
IMG_8302 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8303 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8304 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8306 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8307 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8309 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8311 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8313 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8316 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_8318 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back