"Lola" FZJ80 Build - (eventual) 2UZFE and 5-Speed Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to introduce Lola.
20231108_205752.jpg

She is a 1994 80 Series Land Cruiser, Factory Triple Locked, with the 1FZFE, A442F, and HF2AV. With a 2/2.5" Dobinsons Lift and an ARB front bumper.

I am starting this thread to document and update the build/swap. I will be swapping in a 2UZFE and A750F from a 2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5. There are plenty of questions I have that I need to get answered before/along the way. But I plan on documenting everything I do to her.

I have the complete donor vehicle as it was my previous DD, my daughter totaled her and the payout helped me buy my off-road dream.

There are plenty of issues that I will go over later, but since I bought the 80 in November 23', I have put on 37s, replaced the alternator belts, and installed LED headlight bulbs. I will post the pics/vids later, I was just trying to get the initial thread started tonight before I went to bed.

Here is how she sits now.
20231206_132739.jpg

Why are you doing an engine swap??
For several reasons:

1. The 1FZ is a slow, underpowered, old engine and I don’t want to waste money on fixing up an engine that will stay slow and underpowered. For less money I can rebuild my 2UZ to make it fresh and have a way better platform to start with. Whatever money I could spend on “upgrading the 1FZ” to make it better, would be better spent on a better starting platform.
2. Right now I get about 8 mpg when I’m cruiser around town, and I can get at least double that with the other setup, with way more power and better response.
3. The A750F is a better transmission IMO, with plenty of support to make it even better.
4. I have the entire donor vehicle sitting in my driveway, I drove it and did work to it for the last 2 years, so I know and trust the baseline of what I will be pulling out. I am only going to do a rebuild on the engine because I will have it out in the garage for sometime. If not for the accident I fully trust it would have kept going for many more miles without needing a rebuild and would have continued to run it that way, with only regular maintenance.
5. The 80 series deserves a V8.
6. I like tinkering and upgrading and doing stuff like this.

For several reasons:

2. Right now I get about 8 mpg when I’m cruiser around town, and I can get at least double that with the other setup, with way more power and better response.
A lifted 80 pushing 37" tires will get 16+ MPG with a V8? I'd be impressed if it managed 12. Hell of an ambitious project. Have fun!

I like it do it! There is some good threads about the intricacies on how it was done.

What are you going to do with the transfer case? Source one from a 100? The Sequoia is centered rear, and if I remember correctly, drivers side front.

You'll probably also need the oil pan from a 100 to get the sump behind the front axle.

I agree with others above, you won't be getting over 15mpg... probably 12-14.

Sounds like a fun project though!

I may have overshot my idea of MPG, I was getting consistently around 19-20 MPG driving with my Sequoia on 33's (when I kept my foot out of it), so I guesstimated about 20% off that number for the 37s. If I can get 16 I would be happy, if I could get 13, it would be acceptable. Also my 8 MPG in the 80 was a total guesstimate in itself, based solely on how much more often I am filling up vs the same amount of driving I was doing in my Sequoia. Since my speedo doesn't work I haven't been following hard numbers. I was filling up my sequoia once a week, and I have to fill up the 80 about every 3 days. I need to do a bit more paying attention. I think this next week or so I am going to do some testing to see what I come up with.

What are you going to do with the transfer case? Source one from a 100? The Sequoia is centered rear, and if I remember correctly, drivers side front.

You'll probably also need the oil pan from a 100 to get the sump behind the front axle.
One of the questions I am trying to find the answers to. I was trying to find out if the HF2AV would bolt up behind the A750F, or be adapted to it, if not I will need to find a 100 series one. But I haven't found a definite answer yet.

I am not sure 100% on the oil pan yet. I am really itching to fabricate my own oil pan, I look for a 100 series oil pan, or an SC400 1UZ oil pan to start with. But I have seen some people make custom pans, and I would love to do it as well.

I may have overshot my idea of MPG, I was getting consistently around 19-20 MPG driving with my Sequoia on 33's (when I kept my foot out of it), so I guesstimated about 20% off that number for the 37s. If I can get 16 I would be happy, if I could get 13, it would be acceptable. Also my 8 MPG in the 80 was a total guesstimate in itself, based solely on how much more often I am filling up vs the same amount of driving I was doing in my Sequoia. Since my speedo doesn't work I haven't been following hard numbers. I was filling up my sequoia once a week, and I have to fill up the 80 about every 3 days. I need to do a bit more paying attention. I think this next week or so I am going to do some testing to see what I come up with.

One of the questions I am trying to find the answers to. I was trying to find out if the HF2AV would bolt up behind the A750F, or be adapted to it, if not I will need to find a 100 series one. But I haven't found a definite answer yet.

I am not sure 100% on the oil pan yet. I am really itching to fabricate my own oil pan, I look for a 100 series oil pan, or an SC400 1UZ oil pan to start with. But I have seen some people make custom pans, and I would love to do it as well.
Lol

@PrydeFall What will be done to make the 2UZ produce so much more power? The 1fz is a more robustly built engine and can take a lot of boost to make some amazing power.

Last edited:
As you'll probably notice from the replies you are getting a well running 1FZ-FE isn't a bad option to keep in place on these old cruisers. It's not a powerhouse but it gets the job done without complaint, without premium fuel and without stopping. Normal MPG is 10-15 across a variety of conditions.

I've had my 94' cruiser for nine years (270k miles at purchase, 335k now), a longish time but there are other folks who've had them way longer. I do recall wanting more power here and there, like when I was going up Teton pass or going for a straight 0-60 pulling out onto a highway but for the most part it hasn't been an issue. The thing is these engines can make plenty of power if you are willing to run at a higher RPM when needed. 4000RPM in 2nd gear going up a long grade won't hurt a thing. Bump up the ignition timing to 7-8deg, leave the PWR button on and you'll have enough pep to get around nicely.

If it was me I'd sell the engine and remaining parts from the Sequoia and use those funds to regear now that you are on 37's. I know very little about 2UZFE swaps into an 80 but it doesn't seem like you are gaining much (if anything) for the amount of work it will take.

If more power was really needed here's how my list would look....

93/94 - 1FZ-FE with a Toyota supercharger
95+ - 1FZ-FE with a turbo kit
LS swap
Cummins swap
Everything else...

@PrydeFall What will be done to make the 2UZ produce so much more power? The 1fz is a more robustly built engine and can take a lot of boost to make some amazing power.
I wasn't planning on doing a whole lot to the 2UZ, it already makes around 33% more power (factory numbers) in stock form...while the 1FZ can take more boost, I wasn't planning on spending money to boost either. It would cost way more money to boost the 1FZ than to swap in the 2UZ, and from what I have seen, a TRD supercharger only adds about 30% to the 1FZ anyway, still less than a stock 2UZ and would also then need premium gas, which adds a continued higher cost of ownership...boosted engines are inherently more expensive to upkeep, the list goes on...

As you'll probably notice from the replies you are getting a well running 1FZ-FE isn't a bad option to keep in place on these old cruisers. It's not a powerhouse but it gets the job done without complaint, without premium fuel and without stopping. Normal MPG is 10-15 across a variety of conditions.

I've had my 94' cruiser for nine years (270k miles at purchase, 335k now), a longish time but there are other folks who've had them way longer. I do recall wanting more power here and there, like when I was going up Teton pass or going for a straight 0-60 pulling out onto a highway but for the most part it hasn't been an issue. The thing is these engines can make plenty of power if you are willing to run at a higher RPM when needed. 4000RPM in 2nd gear going up a long grade won't hurt a thing. Bump up the ignition timing to 7-8deg, leave the PWR button on and you'll have enough pep to get around nicely.

If it was me I'd sell the engine and remaining parts from the Sequoia and use those funds to regear now that you are on 37's. I know very little about 2UZFE swaps into an 80 but it doesn't seem like you are gaining much (if anything) for the amount of work it will take.

If more power was really needed here's how my list would look....

93/94 - 1FZ-FE with a Toyota supercharger
95+ - 1FZ-FE with a turbo kit
LS swap
Cummins swap
Everything else...

I would not say my 1FZ is well running, and if I'm going to spend the money on a rebuild, I would rather pay the same/nearly the same on a better starting platform.

Running higher RPM, bumping timing, and leaving the ETC button on may make it run with more power and give it a nice pep, but at the cost of even more fuel...and I can almost guarantee it would still not be nearly as peppy and powerful as the 2UZ.

That list is crazy to me...a TRD Supercharger is ridiculously expensive, while you can throw on an M90 on the 2UZ for less than a grand. Throwing a turbo on either engine would cost close to the same. (probably a bit more for the 2uz, because of dual exhaust, and space around it) and there would be more bang for the buck in the 2UZ anyway supercharger or turbocharger. As far as other swaps go, I would more than likely be looking for different options if I didn't already have the entire donor vehicle at next to no cost, an LS would obviously allow for more and cheaper power addons, but I would have to figure out transmissions, adapters, etc...I would love to do any Turbo Diesel and the Cummins is up high on that list, but that swap is expensive. The builds I have followed have all been well over 12K+ for that swap, which I am in no position to even entertain an amount like that.

The 2UZ is a great platform to begin with, I've got lots of experience with UZ engines and I love them. And I am unwilling to spend the money to keep the 1FZ when dollar for dollar it will still not be as good in the long run. Like I said, it would be a totally different story if I didn't already have the donor vehicle, and that I know the running and maintenance history on. But since I am going to have to spend the money to fix the engine up anyway, I'd rather put the better/more powerful engine and better transmission in.

All this talk im ready for the build and pictures waiting to pop some pop corn
I am sorry to everyone who is waiting to watch this, this is going to be a slow burn project. I am currently not working and going to school full time. The benefit of being a disabled vet and having the gi bill. It allows me to pay my bills and not a lot left to spend like crazy on my projects. Which I have many of. I will be documenting everything I do to the 80 and all the work I put into stripping the Sequoia and rebuilding the motor and trans and such. But yeah,, I wouldn't expect a crazy amount of progress toward actually doing the swap for a while.

Before I even get started on the 80 stuff I have to fix my daughter's car...she overheated it a few times so it may need an engine rebuild/or swap out...my brother gave my son a car, that needs engine work (of course), and then I can start working hard on the 80. I also have to finish up my boat, which I would like to have done by Memorial Day this year...I have everything for it, I just need to finish it.

A boat s*** that's a money hole in the water. Good luck man
I know, it was a mistake to buy a boat that needed a motor and a new outdrive ring...it was a mistake to keep working on it, and it is a mistake to still want to fix it...I need to get rid of it, but I am a stubborn a**

In the meantime I can update as far as where I am at now.

FLgMu9j.jpeg

This was Sookie, she was my 2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4x4, my family loved and enjoyed her for several years, I put over 90K miles on it and it ran like a top. It handled like a dream, was capable off-road, and towed like a beast. Plus 8 seats isn't to shabby.

8l3zhfi.jpeg

Then this happened, near the end of October 23'. On Monday that week, my daughter accidentally drove her car through a flash flood on the road, and ended up with water in the intake, bent a rod. So she was driving my Sequoia until I couldn't figure out something else for her, and this happened on that Friday. 2 cars in 1 week. I should have not put her in another car for a long while, but we don't really have a choice. Work, School, Life...it happens. This was just shy of 302K miles and I would have been confident in driving her another 100K as is with no worries.

But the two totaled vehicles back to back did allow me to buy another car, and also buy my dream 4x4. Lola.

K2grEHm.jpeg

0B0duis.jpeg

zDILva4.jpeg

MtI2Cm6.jpeg

SDGmwp8.jpeg

NmI77hL.jpeg

Shortly before the accident I had ordered a ton of parts for the Sequoia. A lift kit, ball joints, tune up and timing belt kits, shocks, etc...including new wheels and tires. Thankfully I was able to return everything I could no longer use. But since I picked up the 80 it was an easy choice to not return the new wheels/tires. A set of Dirty Life DT-2 17x9 with -12 offset wheels and Ironman All Country M/T 37x12.50R17 tires.

AIjb4bE.jpeg

UVcVCya.jpeg

The 37's are so much bigger than the 33's. It is pretty crazy. However, it turns out that the axle hubs on the 80 stick out so much farther than the Sequoia, and the DT-2's do not have a full pass through hub circle, which I hadn't even paid attention to when I ordered them. They have the right hub circle diameter, but yeah it wouldn't have mattered for the Sequoia so I wasn't thinking about it. So in order to fit them on the 80, I had to install them onto 1.5" spacers, I could have made them fit with 1.25" spacers, but I would have been real tight against the studs inside and would have had to trim them anyway (there is a ton of extra length on them). The fronts will fit with a 1" spacer but the rear is the problem, minimum 1.25" and it is really close with trimming. So I decided instead of trimming or fighting the clearance to just go with 1.5" spacers. They fit perfectly with no clearance issues and gave me basically exactly the look I had hoped for. When I ordered the wheels I originally wanted the -38 offset, but they are now apparently no longer available. It worked out however, because I had to run the spacers anyway and it would have poked too much at that point.

FFPbOti.jpeg

rrLsVbF.jpeg

cO37cJM.jpeg

Somehow I cant find the pictures of me actually installing the spacers and wheels, but there you go.

Other than that, I have also changed the alternator belts.
IIVNYAd.jpeg

efHHuSW.jpeg

One was missing, and the other was really bad. Changing out the belts was a PITA. The ARB bumper sticks out far enough to limit reach, and the tensioner bolt is on the side with basically no room to get to it. Thankfully I had a double-flex-head ratcheting wrench or that would have taken much longer to complete.

I also upgraded the headlight bulbs.
Before:
ORDHEXi.jpeg

After:
l4nzdbL.jpeg

These are the Auxbeam F22-GX LED bulbs from Amazon. I have been running Auxbeam LEDs in all of my vehicles for almost a decade. I love them and they last. I have put one set in every vehicle, and never had to worry about them again.

There are some other issues that need to be addressed and I will get to as soon as I can.
• The hood and liftgate struts are shot. I have the new ones, just haven't put them in yet.
• The passenger side windows don't work.
• The rear driver side window came off track, so it is essentially not usable.
• The exhaust has a big hole in it just under the pass side floor.
• The shocks are all bad/going bad, and the rear shocks (at least one of them) have no bushings. I have replacements on the way.
• I don't know when the last oil change/tune-up/etc was done because PO told me it mostly sat for the last 2 years. So I need to do a good once over, just haven't had the time.

I'll add more to the list as I think of it, and there is a huge list of stuff I have planned for it. I am so excited to get started on this and to share it with all of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom