Builds 1997 FZJ80 to HDJ80 1HD-FTE + H152F (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

F05A4E4F-6210-4D07-BF19-E1EF96CC82B8.jpeg
32010C2C-1D75-4EC0-AC5E-BD5BA8D06185.jpeg

Cheers

Belly skids test fitted. We have to modify these a little bit. Remember we moved the trans crossmember forward and the trans is also shorter being an H152 vs the 442 that was in it and the 343 before that.

D8A250B0-2B12-4D52-A634-8C6EF00BDF08.jpeg

King steering damper installed.

0DFD1BED-ABFD-4094-860D-144587B983C0.jpeg

7D566F8A-B992-476B-9E79-73ED44382F1C.jpeg

ARB bar test fitted. We have an air port to fit to it along with the Rigid light bar.

5539A6AB-3F37-400B-B9B9-8DD47C1CF3CF.jpeg

1A967EDD-2A92-4046-A80D-86F5E562BA16.jpeg

Cheers

ComeUp winch is being changed out.

DB071168-C179-4AB6-B553-8715462832BB.jpeg

Test fitted sliders, some of the legs are going to need some mods and fabbing. Right now just the LHS front leg due to moving trans crossmember forward.

758C396B-C7DF-4A21-BB28-14E19F431829.jpeg

E7D928B2-EC42-4FF8-A59F-C8AABC02F664.jpeg

Cheers

Damn guys, super nice. Now wait till ya go to put the right foot into the floor, THAT will be worth the wait!

Ya know on that note, it needs a break-in before any of that rowdy driving. It’s a new engine after all.

Personally I think that is minimum 1,000 miles. On a diesel the break-in time should be longer than on a gasser especially with these upgrades. Nothing wrong with a 1,000+ mile break in on a diesel.

From past experience I have learned no long idles during break-in, no heavy boost, no rev’s over say 2500rpms and a varied driving with load put on the engine. Country type driving works best on all engine break-ins, where you can get it up to 55-60mph and you are running some hills, going through the gears auto or manual. Never just go hit the highway to break an engine in and maintain a certain speed (rpms) and or load on the engine.

After the break-in period it’s on(!) but it should be broke in correctly. We went the full Monty on this one, it should run hard and very well. Also an FYI for anyone, the GTurbo on an FT is 3” intake at the turbo, on the FTE it is 4”! 😆

Tom Woods drivelines are also coming. Since we got the 3rds in and put it back down on the wheels and now that it has some weight, we could get flange to flange measurements and order them up. We had drivelines from when the Cruiser showed up but they are way off on the measurements now that things have changed.

Cheers

Yeah I 100% agree with doing a proper break in. Personally I'd be pushing that out even further, just because it's not going to hurt it. I think my 1vd with 13,000kms is just broken in enough to have a G350😆🍻

So a little more info for anyone doing this swap in an 80. This applies pretty much just to the FTE since the other 1Hx platforms came in the 80-series and you are unlikely to be swapping in say a HZJ79 1HZ into an 80-series.

This is in regards to oil pan. The FTE came in HDJ100’s and HDJ78/79’s which the 78/79’s are an Aussie only Cruiser, worldwide. FTE is common in 100’s though worldwide but no it didn’t come in the 105. You would think the FTE in the 78/79 would have the same pan as the 80-series 1HZ, 1HDT, 1HDFT since it is a solid axle Cruiser with almost identical suspension to the 80-series. A 70-series 1HZ pan should work too for that matter and the 1HZ in a 70-series is probably the most common setup of any Cruiser ever made. So the pan is easy and cheap to get even in OEM form.

However, while the pan from the 100 FTE or the HDJ78/79 or for that matter a HZJ75 pan will all interchange onto any 1Hx 80-series engine (and vise versa) but they won’t work in a swap. Matter of fact, the only pans that will work in a FTE swap into an 80-series is the 80-series 1Hx pans.

Last week before we installed coil springs we set the front axle down on the bumps. The pan on the FTE now doesn’t clear the tie rod at max compression and this is a HDJ101 (JDM spec 100) pan. We also have HDJ78/79 pan in hand and also a 70-series 1HZ pan. Lastly, we have an FT pan from an 80-series. It (80-series) is the only pan that clears.

So there you have it, the 1Hx oil sump pans for an 80-series are specific to the 80-series and you need one of these if swapping an FTE into an 80-series.

Cheers

I like how this thread takes obstacles related to customization in stride. Setbacks like reworking legs on sliders or finding the right oil pan would be disheartening to me. But SNLC and JMLockwood have the right attitude for stuff like this... focus on the long haul without getting impatient.

I like how this thread takes obstacles related to customization in stride. Setbacks like reworking legs on sliders or finding the right oil pan would be disheartening to me. But SNLC and JMLockwood have the right attitude for stuff like this... focus on the long haul without getting impatient.
And $.

And the winch. I ordered that 12.5 Comeup thinking it would fit no problem. And it does fit but not great and doesn’t mount up so well. @SNLC was going to fab up some mounts but I decided we would just get a Warn M12000 as that should bolt up with no mods.

At this point I just want to finish the truck. The sliders were not going to really work anyway. I had Jason build them thinking the exhaust would be routed inside the frame rails but we are going to run a Beaudesert exhaust and it goes outside and back inside. We all kind of knew the oil pan was going to be trial and error. That’s resolved now and the list grows shorter. Hopefully the center shifter console will be complete soon. We have a high end 3D printer doing some work on that now and I have elevated expectations. I figure it should be nice based on (1) the cost and (2) their other work product.

At the end of the day I will forget all of these obstacles and costs the moment the truck is back at the farm.

So a little more info for anyone doing this swap in an 80. This applies pretty much just to the FTE since the other 1Hx platforms came in the 80-series and you are unlikely to be swapping in say a HZJ79 1HZ into an 80-series.

This is in regards to oil pan. The FTE came in HDJ100’s and HDJ78/79’s which the 78/79’s are an Aussie only Cruiser, worldwide. FTE is common in 100’s though worldwide but no it didn’t come in the 105. You would think the FTE in the 78/79 would have the same pan as the 80-series 1HZ, 1HDT, 1HDFT since it is a solid axle Cruiser with almost identical suspension to the 80-series. A 70-series 1HZ pan should work too for that matter and the 1HZ in a 70-series is probably the most common setup of any Cruiser ever made. So the pan is easy and cheap to get even in OEM form.

However, while the pan from the 100 FTE or the HDJ78/79 or for that matter a HZJ75 pan will all interchange onto any 1Hx 80-series engine (and vise versa) but they won’t work in a swap. Matter of fact, the only pans that will work in a FTE swap into an 80-series is the 80-series 1Hx pans.

Last week before we installed coil springs we set the front axle down on the bumps. The pan on the FTE now doesn’t clear the tie rod at max compression and this is a HDJ101 (JDM spec 100) pan. We also have HDJ78/79 pan in hand and also a 70-series 1HZ pan. Lastly, we have an FT pan from an 80-series. It (80-series) is the only pan that clears.

So there you have it, the 1Hx oil sump pans for an 80-series are specific to the 80-series and you need one of these if swapping an FTE into an 80-series.
Don't forget that the matching pickup/strainer needs to be switched also. There are urban legends of people not switching the pickup and destroying the engines. I have used the HZJ105 sump and pickup for my 80 conversion as the 80 series were out of stock and I think that they are not made anymore. You need to change also the oil dipstick.

12101-17170 oil sump
15104-17060 strainer
15301-17060 dipstick

Jorge

Don't forget that the matching pickup/strainer needs to be switched also. There are urban legends of people not switching the pickup and destroying the engines. I have used the HZJ105 sump and pickup for my 80 conversion as the 80 series were out of stock and I think that they are not made anymore. You need to change also the oil dipstick.

12101-17170 oil sump
15104-17060 strainer
15301-17060 dipstick

Jorge

HDJ80/81 and HZJ80/81 sumps are still manufactured.

12101-17170 oil sump
15104-17060 strainer
15301-17060 dipstick

Jorge
I think it’s probably fair to say there is a lot that happens to this truck that doesn’t make it’s way into the build thread. It’s really more of a way to document everything I’ve had done to the truck. Not really a tutorial on how to make this swap happen.

My point being is that when Ian says we had to swap oil pans it does not necessarily mean that was the only thing involved. I’ve spent an embarrassing amount of money on this truck and don’t really intend to start posting receipts.

And the winch. I ordered that 12.5 Comeup thinking it would fit no problem. And it does fit but not great and doesn’t mount up so well. @SNLC was going to fab up some mounts but I decided we would just get a Warn M12000 as that should bolt up with no mods

Let me know if you want to unload that Comeup. I had success with them in the past.
And I'm sure shipping to the other side of the building will be reasonable. :D

Let me know if you want to unload that Comeup. I had success with them in the past.
And I'm sure shipping to the other side of the building will be reasonable. :D
I really like them! Have had them on trucks in the past and have one on my 200 series. I just felt like we really had no reason to fab the bumper if we didn’t have to do that. There has been enough of that already. But yea we can do a deal for sure. I’ll message you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom