Too cold to start? 1997 FZJ80 in Vancouver, WA (6 Degrees F) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDIT: Thank you everyone for the great advice!

So, I tried looking for something that would answer my question, but I came up short.

Two days ago I drove my '97...no problem. That night it dropped to 8 degrees (F) overall in Vancouver, WA and 6 degrees (f) at my place (I lve in a small valley surrounded by trees). The next day (12pm PST), I went out to start the cruiser and it wouldn't turn. No sound, nothing. Power was available to the radio and dome light, and all other accessories but it wouldn't start. Not even a turn.

So, I figured the battery was too low and placed my charger on it for about three hours; odd thing was, the charger registered the battery as FULL.

Tried starting...nothing...figured battery was TOO dead so I decided to get a new one (Today after work), but I had to get into my rig and for S&G I tried to start it, and...it started right up!

At the time, it was 40 degrees (f) and raining.

So...does the '97 NOT crank at around 6 degrees (f)?

It's gotta be something else as I know others live in much colder places and don't have any problems...?

Last edited:
Starters can become intermittent before they fully fail. Cold will cause a voltage drop and becomes a problem with a weak starter.

Did you hear a click as you turned the key?

So, I tried looking for something that would answer my question, but I came up short.

Two days ago I drove my '97...no problem. That night it dropped to 8 degrees (F) overall in Vancouver, WA and 6 degrees (f) at my place (I lve in a small valley surrounded by trees). The next day (12pm PST), I went out to start the cruiser and it wouldn't turn. No sound, nothing. Power was available to the radio and dome light, and all other accessories but it wouldn't start. Not even a turn.

So, I figured the battery was too low and placed my charger on it for about three hours; odd thing was, the charger registered the battery as FULL.

Tried starting...nothing...figured battery was TOO dead so I decided to get a new one (Today after work), but I had to get into my rig and for S&G I tried to start it, and...it started right up!

It's gotta be something else as I know others live in much colder places and don't have any problems...?
And this is where a volt meter really helps you know what you're dealing with.
Was it too dead?
Or was it fully charged?
You're in it a new battery so far. Is the new battery the same as the 'old' one?
In your climate highly recommend doing a dual batt setup. And I mean a true dual batt...where you can bind both batts to start.

It was -22F in Laramie yesterday, after 3 days of 0F and lower, and my '93 vintage starter cranked w/o issue. (and no not a daily, been sitting for about 10 days)
Full disclosure tho - and apart from '93/94's having the 2.2kw starter - I have a dual batt setup with "on-demand bind" capability. lol that sounds stupid.
But it has worked in up to (down to?) -40F/C about 2 years ago in CO.
Serious cold can cause lots of things to go awry.
But crank-ability is one thing you don't want to be an issue, in any way possible. 👍

Last edited:
Just to add my info, if everything is working properly, it should start up no problem. Similar to you, it doesn't get super cold here, just nasty weather. My 80 started easily no matter the temp. The lowest was probably -10°F during one of our cold snaps. This, of course, is to say it should absolutely fire up.

I had this happen to me when the temps were around -10f it was like the ignition switch just didn't work. The truck wouldn't even try to turn over. I replaced the ignition switch and never had it happen again.

You've gotten some good advice so far. The only thing I might add, would be to check your ground to make sure it's good and tight. Also check for battery corrosion and other loose connections on the battery. It was a few degrees below zero here this morning, and my 2001 Taco started right up. It was obvious it was cold, but no issues at all.

Did you happen to have the old battery load tested? That may answer your question
Not yet...I'm going to check it today after work.

Starters can become intermittent before they fully fail. Cold will cause a voltage drop and becomes a problem with a weak starter.

Did you hear a click as you turned the key?
There was a click, but then on the second attempt, no click.

You've gotten some good advice so far. The only thing I might add, would be to check your ground to make sure it's good and tight. Also check for battery corrosion and other loose connections on the battery. It was a few degrees below zero here this morning, and my 2001 Taco started right up. It was obvious it was cold, but no issues at all.
I noticed upon inspection that the terminals are old and probably should be replaced...so I'm doing this when the weather is better (No rain since I don't have a garage...Condo dweller ;) )

There was a click, but then on the second attempt, no click.

The click could mean that the brushes on the starter solenoid are worn out, or the voltage is too low at the starter due to bad ground, bad wiring, or weak battery.

Last edited:
Battery can show full voltage and have next to no amperage...even new batteries...seen it many times. When we had snowmageddon here a decade ago it was -17 and my 93 still started no problems. Probably a combination of a starter signal wire with high resistance and a poor condition battery. I'd have the battery load tested as mentioned and if it turns out to he good. Use some 12 gauge wire tripped on bot ends to jump the starter terminals...if it turns it is likely the signal wire. Everyone always jumps to brushes but they're usually just a year or 2 Fix if a fix at all.

I suspect cold could also aggravate fusible link issues. I would take it as an early warning and give your electrical system a good once-over... if it's a problem at 6 degrees, it's on its way to being a problem at 32.

And this is where a volt meter really helps you know what you're dealing with.
Was it too dead?
Or was it fully charged?
You're in it a new battery so far. Is the new battery the same as the 'old' one?
In your climate highly recommend doing a dual batt setup. And I mean a true dual batt...where you can bind both batts to start.

It was -22F in Laramie yesterday, after 3 days of 0F and lower, and my '93 vintage starter cranked w/o issue. (and no not a daily, been sitting for about 10 days)
Full disclosure tho - and apart from '93/94's having the 2.2kw starter - I have a dual batt setup with "on-demand bind" capability. lol that sounds stupid.
But it has worked in up to (down to?) -40F/C about 2 years ago in CO.
Serious cold can cause lots of things to go awry.
But crank-ability is one thing you don't want to be an issue, in any way possible. 👍
Man… never knew that. So I had my mechanic swap a 97 starter onto my 93 when he swapped the head and a bunch of other stuff over. My 93 has definitely been turning over slower in these below zero temps than it used to. Could that be the reason?

i just wanted to use this as an opportunity to post this picture i took of my dash. Check out the intake temp. we were pushing -40 in montana this last weekend. take good care of your battery.

ultra gauge reading -13 on the air intake
IMG_2094.JPG

I had the exact same symptoms as the OP this week. Much to my embarrassment, I asked my new boss to help me get a jump with his Ram. realizing the dash lights and radio seemed too peppy to be a dead battery (which I had reason to suspect), I knew I was overlooking something. Right as he was pulling his truck over I had the good sense to try starting in neutral and it fired right up.

I'm betting gooood money on the your neutral safety switch. Next time it happens, try jiggling the shifter while in park and/or put it in neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom