WE NEED GEARING! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just left a message with NWF.

My 80 looks all bad as with a slee 7 inch lift 37’s, my buddy just went with 39’s. And yes, this is the trend now and days.

Our 80’s are just like a Ferrari that can only go 80mph. I need to unleash the Beast!

Come and join the movement and contact NWF and tell them to hurry up with the build, even as most of you wouldn’t buy it, but I would.

Last edited:

My 80 looks all bad as with a slee 7 inch lift 37’s, my buddy just went with 39’s. And yes, this is the trend now and days.

Our 80’s are just like a Ferrari that can only go 80mph. I need to unleash the Beast!

Come and join the movement and contact NWF and tell them to hurry up with the build, even as most of you wouldn’t buy it, but I would.

The only Blackbox option today would involve swapping out transmission/transfer cases as seen starting in this post here:

BlackBox-C Land Cruiser Planetary Underdrive

And the original thread where NWF was starting on the 80-specific doubler...4 years ago

DoUbLEr!!!!

Is there anyone out there, broadcasted even to an alien life form that can cad up a casing that can fit larger gears than the 3.11’s out there please reply!

I know trail gear could supply the gears. I mean it’s just adding a couple of teeth. Couldn’t be that hard and they’re have exclusive rights? Heck didn’t they just buy low range off road so it might not even be that big of deal to them. Hopefully.

Many of us have been in contact with NWF for years now bugging them for the release. At the end of the day, even with the noise made, people just aren't willing to buy. It's the same handful calling, and it's just a handful.

I've been relegated to looking to do a motor swap I don't want to do just to get another transfer case in there, as even with my quarterly calls asking for an update, I'm not seeing it happen any time soon.

If someone had already moved their gas tank, is there still nothing made that fits this transfer case? Marlin doesn’t make anything that will mount up?

Atlas is a centered output. Not a huge deal, but they offer the Orion for offset output, but it lacks the 4 speed option.

With current available options I would guess the best way to do this is going to be 4L80E to 1FZFE and 4 speed Atlas on the rear.

Call AA and see if they have looked into making a adapter to the atlas from the toyota transmission. Wouldn't it also work for 100 series cruisers if they did that?

Atlas is a centered output. Not a huge deal, but they offer the Orion for offset output, but it lacks the 4 speed option.

With current available options I would guess the best way to do this is going to be 4L80E to 1FZFE and 4 speed Atlas on the rear.
Adding a 4l80e would probably knock it out of the park as far as price for what most people would be willing to spend and you would need a ecu for the 4l80e to make it work. The Atlas would give tons of gearing options and quiet any noise of not having low enough gears. I would imagine an adapter from the toyota to the atlas would not be too expensive. A atlas has what? 5 or 6 different ratios available?

that can cad up a casing that can fit larger gears

Doing a cad drawing is the inexpensive easy part, taking that drawing and making chips is where it can start to get real expensive. The cost to make, and the end cost to the consumer is directly tied to the total number of gear cases the vendor is planing on producing.

I know trail gear could supply the gears. I mean it’s just adding a couple of teeth. Couldn’t be that hard and they’re have exclusive rights? Heck didn’t they just buy low range off road so it might not even be that big of deal to them. Hopefully.

Machining a new gear on a gear generator, or gear hobb with a couple of extra teeth, then heat treating it is not to expensive if you already own the equipment. But the end cost all comes down to the same thing as the gear case above, the total number of gears the vendor is planing on producing will determine the final cost.

The problem with your "dream parts", as many other Mud members have said, to make this idea profitable there has to be a large enough pool of potential buyers to make the vendors return on investment profitable. Unfortunate there just wasn't enough 80 series trucks imported into this country to support this level of financial investment by a vendor.

Find ya marks crawler box

I did.
ACF9C5CD-70B1-4B41-B3F6-A26C8FFE42EB.jpeg

10E1D87E-A678-4BE4-81F9-FB31BD448838.jpeg

I give up.

Is there anyone out there, broadcasted even to an alien life form that can cad up a casing that can fit larger gears than the 3.11’s out there please reply!

Well you’ve never developed a part. Gone down a couples rabbit holes of monetary loss. If your wanting too I offer engineering services for a living focusing on small business and start ups feel free. Although as a follower of the subject run away...

No you haven't because it has been discontinued. But maybe you could persuade Marks to sell another few. With the box you would have a 3.83:1 low range. Not a huge change but some.

crawler1.jpg

What kit is that?

3.8 is around where I’d want to be and go with 5.29 in the diffs. Should be a better crawl ratio.

Wow there’s still hope!

It is Marks 4WD out of Australia. It was kind of the big thing in the early 2000s. I only know of one kit that ever got installed on a truck here in the US and it was on Slee's Short Bus 80. You would have to contact Marks 4WD in Australia to see if it is even still around but I really doubt it.

Marks 4WD - Engine conversion, transmission conversion, low range gears, rock crawling gears and portal axles

What kit is that?

3.8 is around where I’d want to be and go with 5.29 in the diffs. Should be a better crawl ratio.

Wow there’s still hope!

84B13EEC-3D3F-4881-A63B-B830A8AD86BA.png
0DAF3747-20C2-4D42-9DE8-E673B525F7FB.jpeg
7C4D47F1-5CED-40E7-BB1F-411B8825B1CE.png
16614683-DCFC-4B8E-9680-5EBAD16718C8.png
Ya Ya of coarse the lite mini trucks & fore runners make better rock Crawlers. That what people expect, But when I follow them right up then they are impressed. JMHO I think the 80 does a lot better rock crawling then people give it credit for. Walking right up the Soup Bowl on the Rubicon made it easier then the built Fore Runner in front of me. the Cj7 After me did not make it. and the 80 after him had a bad day

Last edited:
3A9C5C94-690F-4688-A932-49EB377B346C.jpeg
71437B7A-DE8C-4931-A010-A8FE266A9768.jpeg
FC789EC8-2C2A-4333-BF34-54B2D100CD67.jpeg
You can see this 80 in the back round of the first Pic of my last post

Not sure what is the best way but, would Like lower gears for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom