1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BlackBox-C Land Cruiser Planetary Underdrive

Discussion in 'Drivetrain - Suspension' started by NorthWestFab, Oct 28, 2014.

1. NoeyR

NoeyR

Media:
    I'm seriously looking into ordering one of these too!
    Currently set up with an H41 with 4:1's in the splitcase and 5.29's in the diffs netting about 102:1. With the addition of the BB, I'll be at 279:1 with more gearing options as opposed to just one deep t-case gear.

Question to the 40 series crowd:
    I learned that with the set up in my application ('81 BJ42), the BB adds about 8-1/8" in length. The fuel tank in '79 and later models have the tank underneath the body therefore may interfere with the install. My H41 trans is the short style (no spacer) btw. Unfortunately my rig is in storage and I can't creep underneath it at the moment to verify possible space issues. I've heard of some guys installing Marlin's Toybox and moved the engine forward. Can anyone with a later model 40 that has the gas tank underneath the body, and keeping in mind using a short style H41 confirm if adding 8-1/8" will cause issues?

2. Stumpalama

Stumpalama Forum Junkie SILVER Star

I'd like to know what the true length is as well. I think the tank will not be an issue, but the center cross bar would likely have to be relocated.

3. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew On the way there SILVER Star

Yeah. No doubt about that. There is only a few mm clearance to the cross tube anyway. Not sure about the tank since I've not dealt with that.

Stumpalama likes this.
  4. NoeyR

NoeyR

Media:
    The 8-1/8" length was confirmed from Kris from NWF.

5. Stumpalama

Stumpalama Forum Junkie SILVER Star

Good to know. Thanks.

6. NoeyR

NoeyR

Media:
    So I pulled the trigger on a blackbox!

I got some measurements from my current driveline. From the tcase, it's 5" to the cross member and 7" to the fuel tank. Having talked to other cruiserheads, the easiest approach to fit the doubler is to move the engine forward so that's the plan.

From my research, the use of a 60 series H42 transmission top cover with shifter to help relocate it, installing Georg's tcase twin sticks (option), cutting of the fan shroud down, and doing all the little doodads required for the forward move is the deal.

Stumpalama likes this.
  7. dirtyboots

dirtyboots Atrocious Driving SILVER Star

Here's the BB and 62 series split case in an 80 series...I folded over the gas tank seam and have at least 1" clearance (not pictured)..waiting on NWF to produce the input...they sent the box to get everything mocked up minus the input..unknown ETA at this point

IMG_1412.JPG [​IMG] image3.jpeg

8. Diesel Cruiserman

Diesel Cruiserman Overlandtruckparts.ca

Does this mean the 80 series auto has an adapter? I know its been in the works for quite a few years.

Stumpalama likes this.
  9. dirtyboots

The application pictured / my build is a A442F / 1HDT..from what I understand the tail housing bolt pattern and 19 spline output is the same on the gas and diesel 80 series A442F trans..so i think the answer to your question is an FJ80, with a trans that is 19 spine output, will connect..(the bell housing and some internals vary between gas and diesel 80 series A442F trans)..hopefully someone can confirm this is just my understanding and I’m no expert..is the FZJ80 A343F 19 spline output as well?

Diesel Cruiserman likes this.
  10. Diesel Cruiserman

Diesel Cruiserman Overlandtruckparts.ca

George AKA cruiser brothers is the human cruiser manual, he probably knows.:beer:

11. dirtyboots

23EFBEF7-3F8C-4D27-B6FF-393CAB90922D.jpeg CEFB82A2-FE64-429D-AAB9-89C9AB2C20FD.jpeg C06CE120-2509-49BC-8E82-9C529EB2ECE5.jpeg 4F8A1D55-472D-4ED5-9865-29A72BDAE45B.jpeg Here’s a couple of pics of the front half of the case with the BB clocked so the tcase is closer to the body. The trans doesn’t have a mount so it’s a couple of inches lower than stock, just resting on top of the crossmember.. probably gonna cut the floor where the rear heater core fits and be able to clock the case higher towards the floor-

4E82E0AC-DB64-4B94-B62D-71F061C2633D.jpeg

12. NoeyR

NoeyR

Media:
    If anyone is interested, I have a brand new Blackbox and twin stick kit for sale. PM me for more details.
    Sorry for the jack.

Stumpalama likes this.