Transmission Leak... Need advise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1994 FZJ80- I found an accumulation of ATF on top of the skid plate for the xfer case. after cleaning up the area i have traced the leak back to the weep hole where the Transmission meets the xfer case. From what i gather from reading, i assume this is is coming from the rear output shaft of the transmission. so i will have to remove the transfer case to access and replace that seal. the trasfer case was also low on gear oil and i noticed a small drip at the rear driveshaft connection. so i might as well get a seal kit for the transfer case while i have it off.

Is there anything i am overlooking, or anything else i should do while i have it removed?

Thanks in advance
Frank

The transmission output and transfer input is the same part number. You need to drop the transfer case to get to both of them. Popping them out and replacing both of them is trivial once you have the transfer removed.

I got my seals, etc. from Cruiser Outfitters.

Replacing the seal to the rear driveshaft is doable, but you can't do it from the outside like some seals. You need to remove the rear extension housing and take the assembly completely apart to get to that seal.

Georg Esterer and Timmy have posted a great video series here on 'Mud/YouTube on this project. I'd definitely check out the section on the rear output seal before tackling that. It isn't difficult to do, but that statement should have a caveat that it really depends on the person's mechanical aptitude and shop/tools.

Watching that video series will also give you a better sense of how much work is involved with doing all the seals, if you are taking about a full teardown and reseal. It involves at least one large gear puller that I didn't have that prevented me from doing the front output seal.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the first of several videos. You can look at Timmy's list of videos for the others:

I would clean that area off well, then closely monitor the leak, starting from the power steering pump and transmission cooler lines to ensure it isn't being blown back from further forward.

Or, try this:

I had a similar problem and it ended up being the transmission pump bushing had spun out of the pump and stuck itself to the torque converter which was then causing the input shaft seal to leak. If there's a bushing stuck to your TC like this then you need to replace either the bushing or the whole pump.
1710172329073.png

This thread has some more info but if the bushing has spun your pump is probably hosed too. Pumps were out of stock when this happened to me a few months ago but you may have better luck than I did. They were available on Partsouq but had a 3 month lead time. Hopefully it's just the seal but I would inspect the bushing/pump if you can. I also had my TC rebuilt by Roadrunner Converters in Phoenix for good measure.

I had a similar problem and it ended up being the transmission pump bushing had spun out of the pump and stuck itself to the torque converter which was then causing the input shaft seal to leak. If there's a bushing stuck to your TC like this then you need to replace either the bushing or the whole pump.
View attachment 3579374

This thread has some more info but if the bushing has spun your pump is probably hosed too. Pumps were out of stock when this happened to me a few months ago but you may have better luck than I did. They were available on Partsouq but had a 3 month lead time. Hopefully it's just the seal but I would inspect the bushing/pump if you can. I also had my TC rebuilt by Roadrunner Converters in Phoenix for good measure.
I have identified my leak to be coming from the weep hole that is just forward of the transfer case, your experience is good to know, but i think my issue is further back in the driveline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom