Questions: FJ60 6BT Cummins NV4500 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With my engine location, even SOA I needed to have a modified oil pan to prevent the pinion from hitting during flex. Yes, I think most people do a SOA with the 4bt, or enough lift sua that it's as high as a sua truck. A body lift and mounting the engine high on the frame would help a bunch.

Thanks for all the help guys. If the 4BT still requires a SOA, I think I'll just splurge for the 6BT. Yes, the engine is heavier. But it's a more common engine and has that much more power and torque.

I have done plenty swaps before but unfortunately didn't swap this one. No my oil pan doesn't touch the diff when flexed. SUA 4bt swaps are not common because of clearance issues and from all the owners with 4bts I have talked to it seems that they did SOA first and never dealt with SUA clearance.

No, the 4BT doesn't require a SOA, as proven by @MrK 's truck. The 6BT would require a SOA.

Roger that. Corrected.

Thanks for all the help guys. If the *most* 4BT swaps still require a SOA, I think I'll just splurge for the 6BT. Yes, the engine is heavier. But it's a more common engine and has that much more power and torque.

Hi all from the Top End. Of the Land Down Under!!

Im lokking at doin a 6bt into a 61/62 series cruiser. I need to know what diff/ axls have you used and what sort of angle is the tail shaft on and how long is the tail shaft?

Mine is stock after the transmission to transfer case adapter.

ED9CEB78-FF8C-4D86-8CBA-56030CBB77D5.jpeg

4DEFE0EA-A3F6-49E9-8E18-B2028D7CCD59.jpeg

That’s a DC driveshaft on the rear (not stock)...and a 62 3rd?
Sorry Will Van, just saw this was your thread...

The driveshaft was cut and rebalanced and yes it is double cardan. By stock I meant differentials and gearing.

Last edited:
@Tropical yetti
You want to do a 6BT swap and your in Australia??? Guys in the US would love to have the HJ60 or HJ61. Why don't you buy one of those?

12 HT, 1hd and 1hdft are now going for stupid money some are considering doing the 6BT swap.

I have a 12ht block and crank given to me trying to peice the rest has been intresting .

Someome wanted 400 a conrod for a second hand conrod.

Plus some parts carnt be obtained, hence the thought of the 6bt swap.

Yeah, it can get really confusing since the abbreviation for "valves" and "volts" is the same. Plus, there are "12" and "24" systems for both. I know I had trouble when I first started researching diesel swaps.

Dodge introduced the the 5.9 liter Cummins in their trucks in 1989. Those trucks had 12 valves. Then, in 1998 they upgraded the 5.9 liter Cummins to 24 valves.

Most road-going cars/trucks use a 12-volt system to operate the starter, lights, and electronic accessories (including most road-going Dodge Cummins trucks). But some foreign, military, and industrial applications utilize a 24-volt system. So when you start talking about swapping in diesel engines, especially from industrial applications, it can get really confusing!!!

To answer your question, jakerudy used a 1991 3/4 ton Dodge 6BT/NV4500 as his donor vehicle. His Cummins swapped FJ60 has a 12-valve, 12-volt 5.9 liter Cummins engine. Hope that helps others!
How has the fj60 split-transfer case held up to the cummins?

I am attempting to swap with 6bt without SOA. My 60 has a 2" lift and 33" tire. On my first try, the sump got close to the axle, but I think it seems to fit in there, maybe a slight modification on the sump, but not sure yet. By the way, I am using the H55F behind 6bt.

I think I may have committed all the sins. :D

Measure from the front bump stops to the axle housing hit pad + 1.5 inch to determine how far the oil pan will drop on a big bump.
If that distance is greater than the space you’ve got between the oil pan & axle housing — then indeed you’ve committed a sin.
But don’t fret, redemption is only a spacer block away.
If it looks like the pan might hit or will be very close, install a 1 inch aluminum spacer block under the bump stops to prevent the chassis from diving down too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom