My Desmog Keeping HAC Lots of Pics (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Proper Desmog.

View attachment 1403271

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4807.JPG

IMG_4808.JPG

IMG_4809.JPG

Way better drawings than my messes. :) Good of you to post them up. Maybe make them into a separate thread and we'll get @Cruiser Jimmy to make them a stickie... barring that the circumstances may be different depending on individual altitude and elevation.

A couple of pics of the HAC hookup without the "designed" vacuum leak when not at altitude. When I get to altitude, I flip the switch in the dash and the HAC system works as advertised. When not at altitude, the switch stays off and vacuum is held at the Nippon/denso switch.

IMG_5073.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

On your truck (300k freshen up) it appears that you have the open port at the bottom of the HAC attached by a vac line to the vcv? But in your diagram above it appears that you planned to leave the HAC bottom port open as I was under the notion it is always meant to be if the HAC is utilised?

On your truck (300k freshen up) it appears that you have the open port at the bottom of the HAC attached by a vac line to the vcv? But in your diagram above it appears that you planned to leave the HAC bottom port open as I was under the notion it is always meant to be if the HAC is utilised?
That's just the angle of the pic. The HAC is hooked up just like the diagram above. I actually have the port off the VCV plugged right now as I'm trying to find an aftermarket canister...mines toast. It was causing various issues through the RPM range when it was hooked up.

Try CruiserParts in NH for used and cheap or you can go new and buy one for the Lexus for about $99 (I got my dealer to give me a 'deal' but cheapest he could go was $66).

I mainly did this for my records but thought it might help other high altitude cruisers trying to desmog.

Below is the link to the excellent document Borick and Jim C collaberated to put together. I did mine just a bit differently, kept both BVSV and the choke opener, and a few minor changes.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=517068&d=1304299989

***Update Feb 2017***
After six years, starting at post 101 is a proper desmog IMO.

***Update July 2011***

After seven months of tinkering, these are my final settings that worked the best for me. All connections in the pictures are the same except as noted below.

I have routed the primary advance from the carb to the primary advance on the dizzy and routed the secondary advance directly from the HAC port on the carb to the secondary advance on the dizzy (completely removed the HAC valve and applicable hoses and black/white valve and put a cap on the 3 prong port labeled #16. I ran the carb with the two ports labeled #7 and #9 open for a while and capped for a while and found capped to be a little more powerful).

The large hose coming out of the top of the Driver's side VCV and going to the inlet port below the carb: I found that after the engine came to temp and the violet BVSV allowed vacuum for the VCV to open, I would get stumbling through mid range RPM (I could pull the choke a little and it would correct...too much air sucking in)....I rerouted that line from the top of the VCV to one of the ports on the air cleaner and capped the inlet below the carb. No More Stumbling and the charcoal cannister fumes should still be taken care of through the air cleaner vacuum.

Timing is set right at 5 degrees BTDC. After tinkering with it for the last seven months, it is running absolutely perfect. My altitude here is around 4,000 feet and I took it up to 14,000 a couple of times and it's good to go. No pinging, no hesitations, no backfiring, just nice and smooth from 650 through 2900 rpm.
View attachment 474312View attachment 474313View attachment 535409
Can someone please explain the numbering in these photos to me? Not seeing them on the desmog word doc etither.

dan

The numbering as shown in the photo

View attachment 3372166
Bump. Seems to be different than post 101-104 hand drawn diagrams above. I have no HAC but am having headaches hooking up Dizzy vent. What is shown here is differnet than above.

Thanks
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom