FJ60 De-Smog Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I've owned my FJ60 for a couple of months now and have been getting my hands pretty dirty adding and replacing a myriad of components. I took my rig to a local Landcruiser shop near me for a vehicle inspection to get the lay low on what is, and isn't, working properly. One of the things he mentioned was a possible incomplete desmog regarding the carb and the distributor. I'm not super familiar with messing with smog equipment, especially with FJ60s, and thought I'd inquire here.

The vehicle started it's life in Oregon, then made it's way to North Carolina for most of its life, then to Idaho, then back to Oregon. The PO said the car was already desmoged, but am unsure to what extent. My first question would be, did all FJ60s coming to the states get the same smog equipment or did it vary state by state? Also, from the photos I've attached below, does the motor look like it's desmogged already?

20231212_113032.jpg

20231212_113016.jpg

20231212_113041.jpg

The other questions I have invovle the carb and distributor. I have a 2F desmog kit from Manafre, but am unsure if using that fully desmogs the carb and/or the distributor. Also, if my motor is actually already desmoged, should I return the Manafre kit? Any thoughts, questions, and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The term ‘desmogged’ rides on a sliding scale.
If one piece of emissions equipment is removed or disabled, the engine really wouldn’t be considered ‘desmogged’, though it could fail an emissions test.

The grand scheme of desmogging a FJ60 2F engine is to eliminate ALL the emissions equipment to clean up the engine bay.
Your engine is missing the EGR system and air injection system, so yeah, you’re pretty much desmogged. There’s no way in hell the vehicle would pass a smog test in the state it is now.

All the USA FJ60s had identical smog equipment when new. There aren’t state specific builds.

Your mechanic pretty much summed up the situation correctly: vehicle has been partially desmogged.

There is a PDF on here called "how to desmog and fj60." Search "my desmog thread" It is a very thorough guide explaining each component and directions.
With your air-rail gone you don't need those allen plugs in the kit, looks like the air intake has plugs as well, and the idler pulley must be there, but not visible in pictures, you probably won't need that kit.

The term ‘desmogged’ rides on a sliding scale.
If one piece of emissions equipment is removed or disabled, the engine really wouldn’t be considered ‘desmogged’, though it could fail an emissions test.

The grand scheme of desmogging a FJ60 2F engine is to eliminate ALL the emissions equipment to clean up the engine bay.
Your engine is missing the EGR system and air injection system, so yeah, you’re pretty much desmogged. There’s no way in hell the vehicle would pass a smog test in the state it is now.

All the USA FJ60s had identical smog equipment when new. There aren’t state specific builds.

Your mechanic pretty much summed up the situation correctly: vehicle has been partially desmogged.
Yeah that makes sense to me. I know that those main systems have been deleted, but it still seems that some parts are still lingering that I'm unsure if I should go ahead and use the Manafre kit even though most parts wouldn't be used. I'm specifically referring to these parts below
2fdskit2.gif

This is right under the thermostat housing and it shows both ports being plugged
20231212_113041.jpg

My thermostat housing shows one port still has vacuum lines going to it. Would this be one I need to plug? The same goes for this port that's on the manifold
2fdskit3.gif

There's a plug in the port next to the Toyota logo, but on mine it still has a port with vacuum lines.
20231212_113046.jpg

I guess what I could do is try to return the Manafre kit, since I already have an idler pulley and the EGR delete plates, and just get the Allen set they sell for cheaper to plug the rest of the ports.

Also, if I wanted to de-smog the carb and dizzy would I have to get an aftermarket carb or dizzy or would I need to have the original ones rebuilt? Thanks again for all the information!

You should really read the pdf I mentioned above. As @OSS said there are varying degrees of desmog and there are optional parts that are disputable and or affect you depending on where you live and drive. BVSV(1) SHOULD be kept because it is part of the EVAP system!!! That is the upper valve. Lower BVSV(2) should be removed and plugged. Some people do not use the HAC valve like me, as I am at sea level and don't plan on taking this cruiser to CO anytime soon. HIC is another optional part..... I read the 24 page pdf a couple of times to understand it all prior to touching anything. I'll PM you.
----You should keep the port on the intake manifold.

Last edited:
What @4runner2FJ60 said is spot on, print out the PDF he mentioned. When I finished what the PO of my rig had started it really helped smooth out a lot of idle and hesitation issues on my 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom