Builds 2001 LX470 build LEGUSY (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Odyseuss
Nice LX. I like the headrest monitors. I need some of those in grey for mine.
How secure is that rear fire extinguisher to the grab handle mount? You'd hate for that to come loose in an accident.

Thanks. The extinguisher is very secure(you can find more details earlier in this thread). The caveat is that it might take a few extra seconds to get it off. Rather that then any accidental movement.

We made another recent visit and played in the snow. Eventually the access will be limited on cats, snowmobiles and chair lifts.

IMG_20160926_163008.jpg

IMG_20160926_163945.jpg

IMG_20160926_165304.jpg

IMG_20160926_170706.jpg

IMG_20160926_171033.jpg

i'm jealous of that cabin Scott, it looks like a real nice place to relax and although not necessary right now, but a nice place to beat the heat of summer too.

@S.CarolinaFZJ80 I copied the fire extinguisher location Scott used and will second that it is steady. Mine has seen lots of miles and bumps and its as secure now as it was when I mounted it up.

i'm jealous of that cabin Scott, it looks like a real nice place to relax and although not necessary right now, but a nice place to beat the heat of summer too.

@S.CarolinaFZJ80 I copied the fire extinguisher location Scott used and will second that it is steady. Mine has seen lots of miles and bumps and its as secure now as it was when I mounted it up.

You should come up with us and beat the heat one of these days. It's good to hear that you have tested the extinguisher mount and that its working out well.

IMG_20160909_175602.jpg

IMG_20160909_180026.jpg

IMG_20160909_180930.jpg

Legusy made the short trip over to Cruiser Fest to check out the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum. The Canguro Race team put together an awesome interesting presentation. It's great to see how such a good group of friends can successfully race a Cruiser from a grass roots approach.

We also made it out to the Cruiser Outfitters customer appreciation BBQ. The event had an excellent showing of vehicles and participants. Its soooo cool to see the appreciation that @cruiseroutfit has for his customers. The support from customers and friends alike goes to show how much the community of enthusiasts really enjoys cool trucks, good food, lots of prizes and great times.

Last edited:
@Odyseuss
Nice LX. I like the headrest monitors. I need some of those in grey for mine.
How secure is that rear fire extinguisher to the grab handle mount? You'd hate for that to come loose in an accident.
I was about to say the same thing about the fire extinguisher. I had one fly off a rollbar before and barely miss my dome.

I was about to say the same thing about the fire extinguisher. I had one fly off a rollbar before and barely miss my dome.

That sounds scary.

Its important to make sure that the gear is secure. Whether bouncing around down the trails or engaging in sudden maneuvers on the road, I don't like things moving around unpredictably. That's another reason that I like to keep tools and spare parts organized in the drawers and behind the seats. For the extinguisher I favored accessibility. The metal mount that was made for it does fit pretty snug around the neck of the extinguisher, but I wouldn't trust it by itself. That's why I ran not 1 or 2 but 3 straps with velcro that actually thread through themselves and adhere back over the attachment. I ran them long to touch the headliner to assist with removal(of course I could always cut the straps and it might not be a bad idea to secure a strap cutter nearby for that reason). I considered going with a quick disconnect type of mount, but this seemed easier, much cheaper, and plenty secure.

I like the input and ideas that we can share here and I'm usually interested in considering better ways to do things. I have tried several front seat organizers as well for misc. smaller bags of snacks and such but I'm still working on a better method for that. I usually need to have a variety of items close at hand to satisfy my back seat passengers and I don't like that stuff sliding around so hopefully I can come up with at better method to secure items in the front passenger seat as well.

Last edited:
Legusy got a new pair of shoes.

I had noticed some sets of cuts or cracks in the tread running around the tires and I originally misunderstood the cause or origin of them. A thread on MUD caught my attention and pointed out that other people had noticed these as well on their BF Goodrich All-terrain KO2 tires. I still don't know that the cause of these marks has been fully explained, but it appears to be a manufacturing related issue as BFG has stepped up to cover the condition with offers for replacement tires. So I went down to the retailer that I bought them from and asked an old coworker there to call BFG and check on the issue. I had about 10K miles on the tires with fairly hard use and good maintenance, I had already replaced one tire through a road hazard, so they were not all purchased at the same time. My friend said that it looked like a cosmetic issue only and made the call relaying that information. He told me that BFG offered to pay for a large portion of a set of 5 replacements. It is nice to see BFG stand behind their product and take care of the issue. I wasn't really worried about the condition, but I don't want to be running tires that might be defective either so I was happy to pay the difference and move on with a brand new set of rubber meats. Overall, I have been really happy with these tires and it will be nice to go into winter with a new set.

This is what the old tires looked like.
IMG_20160627_145811.jpg

IMG_20160920_092652.jpg

And here's the fresh new boots.
IMG_20160920_142132.jpg

IMG_20160920_165157.jpg

Reactions: LEX
As I put the #17 stickers on the plates today, I take note that this marks approximately 2 years of ownership and around 12k miles. Fortunately I don't put a lot of daily driver miles on this rig, but more distance with the purpose of leisure. However, this truck is so much fun to drive that I can slip away into that zen state of mind most of the time that I spend behind the wheel, even if I'm taking a parked break and soaking in the sound. This is also a good time to mark down a bit more of the basic maintenance as I keep things in order and keep in mind the things that might need attention in the future. I changed the oil and got another sample evaluated as I checked and marked all of the fluid levels. This helps me to quickly notice any changes from the norm. Even though the oil sample didn't reveal any red flags, I'll be keeping an eye on its contents next time around.

I noticed a bit of condensation in the led light bar so I resealed it.

We went down to Moab with a group from Wasatch Cruisers. Its become a reoccurring trip over the years as it seems to be a great time again and again.

@nnnnnate led us out on Jax Trax and I tail gunned.

IMG_20161008_151858.jpg

rock crawling
IMG_20161008_142531.jpg

IMG_20161010_073203.jpg

I spent some time testing out the trailer flex as their suspensions work much differently than on the tow vehicle.
IMG_20161010_112727.jpg

I recently spent some more time exploring south eastern Utah with another friend in our 100 series. It was incredible to cover so much ground and to see such amazing sights. Its awesome to have vehicles that can excel in so many areas allowing us to get out on the edge and behold adventure. I keep thinking of how much there is to see and do that I am constantly looking at more trails and areas to venture out to see first hand and share with others. So I'll continue with less talk and more pictures of the spectacular places that my 100 series reaches.

PANO_20161015_075249.jpg

PANO_20161015_135611.jpg

PANO_20161017_073643.jpg

PANO_20161017_084626.jpg

PANO_20161017_091230.jpg

Those are great pictures Scott! They make me real excited for the upcoming trip and make me think I need to do a better job taking pictures while I'm out exploring.

Thanks @nnnnnate . I am very excited for the upcoming trip as well. I often forget to take photos at social events because I get distracted visiting. I keep thinking that I need to take more & better pictures but on this trip I could not resist and it was so spectacular that it was easier to get a good shot. No fancy equipment needed. These were all taken on either the GoPro Hero5 or my Nexus 6P phone.

Scott is leading a Wasatch Cruisers club thing in November, but right now its listed as a members only thing. It is going to be awesome though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom