New to me 2007 LX470 (Build Thread) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2007 LX470. Dealer maintained religiously since 07 when it was purchased by a family member. 177k miles.

Just replaced all fluids, flushed AHC (before deciding I was going suspension route). Getting near timing belt so will be tackling that soon.

Parts on order:
Ironman 4x4 front bumper
Ironman 4x4 2” Foam Cell Pro Stage 3 suspension
White knuckle sliders
ASFIR full aluminum sliders

Now to decide on wheels/tires. Heavily inspired by user Krieten… so thinking of 35’s on method 17’s with a bit of fender massaging…

Down the road:
ARB front/rear lockers
Rear bumper as needed

IMG_5018.jpeg

IMG_5019.jpeg

IMG_5020.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks nice and plans sound reasonable :) Looking forward to see more!

I would just do the sliders, skids and maybe lockers. AHC is superior to those FCP’s. Keep it, maintain it. IM bumper is too big IMO. Put it on my now sold LC and wasn’t a fan. Looks bulky, sticks out too far and the approach angle is probably the worst of all aftermarket bumpers.

Keep AHC for sure
I was back and forth... back and forth... and then while ordering other parts said eff it and ordered the IM. I just emailed to see if I can cancel order. Seems to be a strong consensus in general to keep the AHC. I appreciate your input.

I appreciate the reply. Per above, will try to cancel the suspension and try out with AHC for now. First negative I've heard with the IM front bumper. I wasn't aware how much bulkier it is than the others. The downsides of not being able to see these things easily in person before purchase. Thanks for the feedback!

Decided on the Method 701 BeadGrip wheels. 17x8.5 0 offset.

Leaning towards Yoko Geolandar M/T G003 35's. Not a daily driver. Will probably be 50% exploring trails in primarily Washington and 50% road.

Why not stock 16x8’s with a 315/75 if you wanna go 35’s? The OEM wheels are likely higher quality and then you get more sidewall to air down.

I personally run the 285/75/16 G003 (33.2”) and I think they’re perfect. I’m not sure the 35’s would take me much further Offroad and I can still use factory spare/full articulation without rub.

35’s look great but I haven’t been convinced on the trade offs with a 100.

Good call on keeping the AHC - definitely check the neutral pressure and ride height to get it dialed. I ended up using non-ahc coils and tbars to accommodate the extra weight on my rig, and it works perfectly.

Why not stock 16x8’s with a 315/75 if you wanna go 35’s? The OEM wheels are likely higher quality and then you get more sidewall to air down.

I personally run the 285/75/16 G003 (33.2”) and I think they’re perfect. I’m not sure the 35’s would take me much further Offroad and I can still use factory spare/full articulation without rub.

35’s look great but I haven’t been convinced on the trade offs with a 100.

Good call on keeping the AHC - definitely check the neutral pressure and ride height to get it dialed. I ended up using non-ahc coils and tbars to accommodate the extra weight on my rig, and it works perfectly.

I've heard good things about the method bead grip or whatever they call that style. I have a buddy that airs down real low with them and has had good luck. Of course never compared directly and not scientific by any means. Also... I like the look of the methods :)

I haven't pulled trigger yet on tires. Being a more dedicated trail rig I figure getting as much tire under her as possible would be the way to go. If it was a daily I would for sure stick to 33's. Still have some thinking to do on that front. How have you liked the G003's?

"Good call on keeping the AHC - definitely check the neutral pressure and ride height to get it dialed. I ended up using non-ahc coils and tbars to accommodate the extra weight on my rig, and it works perfectly."

Once I get bumper, skids, sliders and the rest of the weight installed I'm planning to go through and check all pressures and dive into the AHC a bit more to fine tune. Assuming I will want to at least upgrade the rear springs. I know another member here went with the OME medium rear springs. Are you just using stock torsion bars off of a non-ahc?

Hallelujah we got someone to keep the AHC!!!!

But also SOB I was hoping to get a box of goodies from a clean truck as backups for mine.

With the knowledge here and a well maintained system AHC will serve you very, very well.

<troll>I LOVE pulling up next to lifted Jeep guys and raising my truck up... only to lower it to low before puttering off.</troll>

I've heard good things about the method bead grip or whatever they call that style. I have a buddy that airs down real low with them and has had good luck. Of course never compared directly and not scientific by any means. Also... I like the look of the methods :)

I haven't pulled trigger yet on tires. Being a more dedicated trail rig I figure getting as much tire under her as possible would be the way to go. If it was a daily I would for sure stick to 33's. Still have some thinking to do on that front. How have you liked the G003's?

"Good call on keeping the AHC - definitely check the neutral pressure and ride height to get it dialed. I ended up using non-ahc coils and tbars to accommodate the extra weight on my rig, and it works perfectly."

Once I get bumper, skids, sliders and the rest of the weight installed I'm planning to go through and check all pressures and dive into the AHC a bit more to fine tune. Assuming I will want to at least upgrade the rear springs. I know another member here went with the OME medium rear springs. Are you just using stock torsion bars off of a non-ahc?

Correct. Im running Stock torsion bars / springs from a non-ahc 100.

I ran Kings KTRS79’s but they were insufficient for raising to Hi mode when loaded up.

Non-ahc coils/tbars will give you correct neutral pressure and ability to cycle through L-N-H when you’re at max payload in a 100 series. I can still get into hi mode fully loaded + 500lbs hitch weight.

G003’s are great, but need to be rotated frequently. I do a 5-tire rotation every 5000miles. They do seem to cup easily but that’s life on a street driven MT tire.

Offroad they are night/day vs ST MAXX and K02’s

Toyo just released AT4 34” C rated tire if you want to stay in the middle. 285/75/18.

Correct. Im running Stock torsion bars / springs from a non-ahc 100.

I ran Kings KTRS79’s but they were insufficient for raising to Hi mode when loaded up.

Non-ahc coils/tbars will give you correct neutral pressure and ability to cycle through L-N-H when you’re at max payload in a 100 series. I can still get into hi mode fully loaded + 500lbs hitch weight.

G003’s are great, but need to be rotated frequently. I do a 5-tire rotation every 5000miles. They do seem to cup easily but that’s life on a street driven MT tire.

Offroad they are night/day vs ST MAXX and K02’s

Got it. I'll see about tracking down a set of non-ahc Torsion bar/springs. It looks like OME would be the next step up (AHC 25.5mm, non-ahc 28.8mm, OME 30.5mm, IM around 32mm).

Just came across this thread and looks like I have some reading to do. I think I'll just get everything on the truck... then check pressures im at and go from there. But sounds like your setup will be ideal. I was hoping there was a perfect aftermarket offering for new torsions bars and springs in this case as I prefer shiny and new toys.

Hallelujah we got someone to keep the AHC!!!!

But also SOB I was hoping to get a box of goodies from a clean truck as backups for mine.

With the knowledge here and a well maintained system AHC will serve you very, very well.

<troll>I LOVE pulling up next to lifted Jeep guys and raising my truck up... only to lower it to low before puttering off.</troll>

Officially cancelled. Sorry... no AHC for you!!

Now that is $2800 I had set aside for suspension..... looks like I potentially can look into some lockers sooner than later!

Got it. I'll see about tracking down a set of non-ahc Torsion bar/springs. It looks like OME would be the next step up (AHC 25.5mm, non-ahc 28.8mm, OME 30.5mm, IM around 32mm).

Just came across this thread and looks like I have some reading to do. I think I'll just get everything on the truck... then check pressures im at and go from there. But sounds like your setup will be ideal. I was hoping there was a perfect aftermarket offering for new torsions bars and springs in this case as I prefer shiny and new toys.
Heh powder coat the springs if you really want!

I don’t think there’s any point to running springs/bars heavier than the non-ahc units - you’d have to add weight well past the payload limit to be in their weight range.

If you don’t run at payload, non-ahc setup on an AHC truck will be bouncy and too far below proper pressure. I’d imagine you’ll need to be 500lbs+ over max payload for the OME stuff to work properly on an AHC truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom