New to me 2007 LX470 (Build Thread) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now to build the spare tire carrier. Once that is finished up will finish sand and prep for spray. Going to spray with Herculiner bed liner I think.

IMG_5537.jpeg

IMG_5535.jpeg

Impressive progress for a first time welder :)

Does herculiner require a primer? I did a 2 component epoxy primer on the bare metal before raptor’ing my van.

BTW:
In case you want a bit smoother surface you can usually thin down the liner and use a HVLP gun. I did 15% thinning and a 20$ HF HVLP gun with 1.4mm nozzle and the surface is kind of in the middle between typical bedliner and regular paint.

Impressive progress for a first time welder :)

Does herculiner require a primer? I did a 2 component epoxy primer on the bare metal before raptor’ing my van.

BTW:
In case you want a bit smoother surface you can usually thin down the liner and use a HVLP gun. I did 15% thinning and a 20$ HF HVLP gun with 1.4mm nozzle and the surface is kind of in the middle between typical bedliner and regular paint.

The kit has a spray gun, so I’m gonna give that a go. I watched a ProjectFarm test of these bedliners and this one had a good score… so figured I’d give it a try. If I recall the Rustoleum was solid as well.

Good idea on thinning it. I might have to give that a go. I’ll have to look at what’s in this stuff and see what I can thin with. Do you recall what you used?

IMG_5547.jpeg

IMG_5549.jpeg

Screenshot of my writeup at the sportmobile forum and the link

IMG_7852.jpeg

Looking towards the final “armor”. I ordered white knuckle sliders originally. Will have to call and see if they have started build. But…now that I have the welder I’m considering cancelling if they haven’t started and putting the money towards tools instead and trying to build my own…..

Going to dry overnight and get on tomorrow!

Spraying went well. Minus accidentally starting without eye pro and splattering myself. One of these days I’ll have a spray booth for wood and this crap, but until then will continue to remain half assed in my spray setups.

IMG_5558.jpeg

IMG_5552.jpeg

IMG_5555.jpeg

IMG_5561.jpeg

IMG_5564.jpeg

You welded, painted and installed it in less time than I took to just install a Dissent rear bumper. LOL.
Good work!

Well. ASFIR full skids installed. I’d honestly rather rebuild the entire bumper from scratch than put those on again. Constant frustration with 50% of the fasteners being too short and having to run to hardware store multiple times. Ended up having to build some spacers for the transmission skid. With the diff drop I was able to use the supplied diff drop spacers and make the front skid work ( needed longer bolt for middle one). But wasn’t expecting to need spacers for the transmission one.

Probably user error like most s*** I do 😂.

Anyways. They are on. Was considering pulling front diff for ARB locker, but the skid plate is going to be my crutch so maybe I’ll wait a few weeks 😆.

IMG_5630.jpeg

IMG_5626.jpeg

IMG_5624.jpeg

IMG_5616.jpeg

Well. Pulled off the rear shock to put on the dust cover I had forgotten initially. I recall the thread going on easily on install, but it was absolute hell to get off. I think some mud got up there and dirtied the threads and the nut started seizing. Ended up re-threading the shock and nut and install was cake after that.

Threw on the rear Timbren bumps while I had the wheels off.

Still need to put the front driver bump (rear one) on, but the bolt is broken deep inside. Just need to find some copper tube so I can weld up a bead/nut and get out.

Hope ya’ll having a good weekend! Finally some sun the PNW.

IMG_5759.jpeg

IMG_5764.jpeg

Love your build so far, moving super quick! I'd be curious to hear your impressions of the Coastal bumper once you've had it a while.

Got the slee dual battery tray and ARB twin compressor and manifold all wired up.

For dual battery: 0 guage positive wire from main pos to a 140a isolator to a fuse to second battery. Second battery grounded on engine lift point.

the battery was about 0.5cm too wide so had to trim off tab on slee battery tray and then get new tie down kit from amazon. The slee battery hold down is rad, but won’t work with the battery caps. Would be great for those lithium folks….but couldn’t justify that for a battery just running a winch and compressor at the moment

Twin compressor working and just ran test to fill the 35’s with ARB fill up kit… works great. Just need to route wiring into cab when the OEM locker switch arrives tomorrow.

Next step: install ARB front/rear lockers that are sitting in garage. Need to work up nerve and energy to pull diffs and get done.

IMG_5854.jpeg

IMG_5855.jpeg

IMG_5897.jpeg

IMG_5895.jpeg

IMG_5901.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom