What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (53 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haha I had that thought! “Don’t drop the nuts, don’t drop the nuts!” Of course all the cars moved once I parked and started working. It only took 15 minutes to swap it out. I see why the blue hub needs the oil modded for more airflow. I did see an improvement in temps but it doesn’t pull like I thought it would.

Having driven my built LX over Vail pass more times then I can count on my digits I can safely say it doesn't pull all that well but it makes it!

I think my favorite though was making the trip from GJ to Boulder in the middle of the night in a snowstorm. To add icing to the cake my heater core gave out right around Wolcott. Doh! Still made it!

Having driven my built LX over Vail pass more times then I can count on my digits I can safely say it doesn't pull all that well but it makes it!

I think my favorite though was making the trip from GJ to Boulder in the middle of the night in a snowstorm. To add icing to the cake my heater core gave out right around Wolcott. Doh! Still made it!
Yeah the 2nd gear 4000 rpm assaults aren’t impressive but I didn’t get passed by any semi trucks so I was happy. Luckily no cooling system disasters for me, sounds like you had a fun night that time!

Yeah the 2nd gear 4000 rpm assaults aren’t impressive but I didn’t get passed by any semi trucks so I was happy. Luckily no cooling system disasters for me, sounds like you had a fun night that time!
It was just those Prius's that got you, wasn't it :p

3 months ago COVID19 arrived from China to Israel, total lockdown was implemented immediately. My youngest son is a combat medic in a search and rescue battalion could not come home for 3 mounts. After old people start dropping dead like mosquitos in a retirement homes all over Israel. Israeli army took responsibility for older people at their homes or in the retirement homes so he was in contact with corona patience and could not come home.
WhatsApp Image 2020-05-05 at 07.17.31.jpeg

I got a promotion to visit him in the army base on the Gaza border on Saturday (our Sabbath). He asked for home cocked food, Coca Cola and Ben&Jerys Ice Cream, we met outside the gates of the army camp in the open air, keeping distance and no hugs.

Photo 02-05-2020, 17 34 13.jpg

After that we drove to the Mediterranean sea you can see the buildings of Gaza on the horizon and the only sea barrier of its kind in the world which is the extension of the land barrier between Gaza and Israel.

Photo 02-05-2020, 17 58 08.jpg

Photo 02-05-2020, 18 00 48.jpg

Photo 02-05-2020, 19 22 27.jpg

I just wrapped up a dual battery install. I went with the Redarc because of its flexibility, ease of install and minimal size. I sourced the battery tray on Mud used for a good price and that’s what got the ball rolling.

View attachment 2317885

View attachment 2317886

View attachment 2317887

View attachment 2317888

View attachment 2317890
Nice. I've been looking more at the Redarc setups the past week or so. Definitely leaning that way over the National Luna based on feedback I've been reading.

Changed the oil, remounted the rear passenger seatbelt from where I had to fix a hole in the wheel well. Did some initial investigating on how bad a rust spot is in my upper lift gate. Ordered some sheet metal to start the repair.

Finally fabbed up brackets and squeezed this air tank in behind the auxillary tank...

IMG_20200525_151517827_HDR.jpg

Sent my steering gear box off to Redhead for a rebuild and upgraded to the 105 sector shaft. Got it all back in there except for the 2 high pressure hose connections on top of the gear box. Are there o-rings that are supposed to go in there?
0525202015_HDR.jpg

View attachment 2318204We moved back to Grand Junction, CO in March just before the world went crazy. My plan was to fly back to Northern Minnesota and get my 80 but it ended up sitting quarantined in my in-laws’ driveway for 8 weeks. I flew up for the grab-n-go this weekend and cannonballed it back to GJ. I knew the fan clutch was dead so a quick stop at Corwin Toyota in Fargo was needed for the swap, otherwise my once-rolled beater of a Lexus hammered out 1400 miles without issue. I was so impressed with it! Held 75-80 all day and even handled I-70 out of Denver like a champ. I’ve fallen in love with 80s all over again!
Lost another Minnesotan to the west. ;). Now you are in the heart of it with so much terrain to explore. I might have to do something similar.

Definitely lost the plush luxury ride, less body roll on turns for sure though. Can really feel it in the rear and its a 1/2" higher but plan to some weight on eventually, the springs are rated up to about 200lbs I think so should help. Also a 1/2" lower on the driver side so gonna try to figure out spacers to level it off.
How does it ride?

Sent my steering gear box off to Redhead for a rebuild and upgraded to the 105 sector shaft. Got it all back in there except for the 2 high pressure hose connections on top of the gear box. Are there o-rings that are supposed to go in there?View attachment 2318997
No, they're flared fittings. No O-rings. I don't know why Red Head sends those...must just go with every box they ship.

I was able to get out and do some camping and exploring in some beautiful Grand Canyon country this weekend....
20200524_121630.jpg
20200524_121021.jpg
20200523_122520.jpg
20200523_155205.jpg
20200523_155034.jpg

Last edited:
20200523_193809.jpg
20200523_204148.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom