What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (111 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed a 25” ebay light bar on the bumper to go with the 41” bar mounted on the Bowfin rack.

ED00FA25-F587-43B4-BF7A-235EBD5FE525.jpeg
BED7AB0C-30F9-41F9-8197-C7D4E735C6DD.jpeg

Finished wet sanding and buffing the last f'ing panel of my truck this am (you can still see the tape on the snorkel). This has probably taken 30 hours of work. Part of the plan was always to tinker with some vinyl wrap to break up the black. First section went great and met expectations:

49926907016_e03b951dc5_h.jpg

On the second section, catastrophe struck:

49927204347_0a64fae39e_h.jpg

Closer:

49927204377_917c5afbbf_h.jpg

It would appear the color coat didn't adhere to the sealer... I didn't think using a razor to trim the vinyl carried this type of risk (and I went light with my cuts). This makes me wonder if I have a systemic, widespread issue or a localized one. Either way, I've got an entire door that has to be sanded, based and cleared - at minimum...

Any insights or advice is greatly appreciated!

Drove 800 miles from Atlanta to Dallas. Got about 13.5 mpg. Not bad considering lift, tires and roof rack.
My A/C really left something to be desired though. Which is disappointing since the whole system was replaced in 2016. Have to dig in further next weekend.

Took the family for a short drive up to the Portland Mine then a short hike around the Box Canyon Falls in Ouray. Was awesome to finally go out on a drive with a rig I now trust after all the wrench time!
Portland 1.JPG
Portland 2.JPG
Box Canyon.JPG

Installed a power steering cooler after doing my hydroboost a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was prudent and couldn’t really hurt.

Looks kinda cute I think...as far as coolers go !

C8AA85FD-FC85-4FA8-BAA2-020FF20D5CC5.jpeg

192FFF2B-4ABB-4AA3-8EA2-9FDAB8FE6B38.jpeg

Well.. its not what I did this weekend... but what Im gonna do!
Ron Davis builds one sweet radiator!
The bummer part is having to pull all the parts off the front end to get this in! Dual batteries, lights, grill. fan, solar controller, fan shroud, and lots of wiring.
Just to pull out a perfectly good two year old OEM radiator to future proof and add extra cooling capacity. Even though the last OEM plastic tank radiator lasted 24 years... I am paranoid of loosing a tank or busting off the plastic nipple in the middle of nowhere, so.. here's the answer..

View attachment 2315496

View attachment 2315497

View attachment 2315498

View attachment 2315500

View attachment 2315502

Well.. its in there like swimwear!
What a metric crapton of work... never want to deal with something like this on the trail!!!

20200523_163908.jpg

20200523_163929.jpg

20200523_163917.jpg

Last edited:
sorry no pics but fit an OME 2.5" lift. new mirrors. hid lights and soon to be painting. Got to find a replacement panel for the passenger side rear footwell first. just a wee rusted out. Oh and fixed the exhaust. Runs so much better. The last person to touch the exhaust was...."inventive" wrapped a busch beercan around one of many exhaust leaks and sort of clamped it down and then just left the heat shield hanging on top to rattle. Now the exhust is brand new from the end of the down pipe to the tip. If you are ever in the Willamette Valley and need exhaust work...check out junction City mufflers!

Last edited:
sorry no pics but fit an OME 2.5" lift. new mirrors. hid lights and soon to be painting. Got to find a replacement panel for the passenger side rear footwell first. just a wee rusted out. Oh and fixed the exhaust. Runs so much better. The last person to touch the exhaust was...."inventive" wrapped a busch beercan around one of many exhaust leaks and sort of clamped it down and then just left the heat shield hanging on top to rattle. Now the exhust is brand new from the end of the down pipe to the tip. If you are ever in the Willamette Valley and need exhaust work...check out junction City mufflers!
Don't be sorry, just take pics! I'm very curious to see the finished exhaust pics.

Replaced the battery over the weekend. Been running a single Group31 for the past few years. and it stopped holding a charge last week. Been very pleased with it though. For a single battery setup it did a great job considering all the stuff I'm powering.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Replaced it with a Duracell Platinum Deep Cycle AGM Group31. And I know I should have made the change long ago but I'm finally digging seriously into a dual battery setup. Looking at the National Luna kit for controlling them.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I just wrapped up a dual battery install. I went with the Redarc because of its flexibility, ease of install and minimal size. I sourced the battery tray on Mud used for a good price and that’s what got the ball rolling.

831E94BB-3652-41C7-96D5-B2201B6FDFE5.jpeg

3FDBD3C8-AABB-406B-AA40-5CF6D54E8374.jpeg

38D8AF58-8FFC-49BF-AEF3-B179611230A2.jpeg

5E6FE4E2-215E-4EBB-A681-B54DD46C36C1.jpeg

D0783DFC-7559-4490-B787-409B19D5587A.jpeg

You know you have a serious problem when your Cruiser has a Meth addiction! :eek:
Snow Performance Stage 2.5 system installed, set to start injection at 5 psi and max at 7 psi.

20200524_161621.jpg

20200524_163254.jpg

20200524_165129.jpg

B0374A71-6E3A-4760-81AD-399C887E8031.jpeg
We moved back to Grand Junction, CO in March just before the world went crazy. My plan was to fly back to Northern Minnesota and get my 80 but it ended up sitting quarantined in my in-laws’ driveway for 8 weeks. I flew up for the grab-n-go this weekend and cannonballed it back to GJ. I knew the fan clutch was dead so a quick stop at Corwin Toyota in Fargo was needed for the swap, otherwise my once-rolled beater of a Lexus hammered out 1400 miles without issue. I was so impressed with it! Held 75-80 all day and even handled I-70 out of Denver like a champ. I’ve fallen in love with 80s all over again!

View attachment 2318204We moved back to Grand Junction, CO in March just before the world went crazy. My plan was to fly back to Northern Minnesota and get my 80 but it ended up sitting quarantined in my in-laws’ driveway for 8 weeks. I flew up for the grab-n-go this weekend and cannonballed it back to GJ. I knew the fan clutch was dead so a quick stop at Corwin Toyota in Fargo was needed for the swap, otherwise my once-rolled beater of a Lexus hammered out 1400 miles without issue. I was so impressed with it! Held 75-80 all day and even handled I-70 out of Denver like a champ. I’ve fallen in love with 80s all over again!
I would have lost half my tools down that drain. Good job getting it done successfully.

I would have lost half my tools down that drain. Good job getting it done successfully.
Haha I had that thought! “Don’t drop the nuts, don’t drop the nuts!” Of course all the cars moved once I parked and started working. It only took 15 minutes to swap it out. I see why the blue hub needs the oil modded for more airflow. I did see an improvement in temps but it doesn’t pull like I thought it would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom