What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (23 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took the LX and met my buddy with his GX at Matagorda Beach on the Texas coast. We had a great time, but hit some whoopties a little too fast for his tire carrier.

52A98E48-98A8-41DD-836E-0ED3B52F00E6.jpeg

8BD84B4E-21CE-461F-BABF-EF3AFE6E68D1.jpeg

Replaced all of the suspension bushings
22BFC418-8A91-4F3F-8D60-832EC65FE6E1.jpeg

Used a Harbor Freight 12 ton press that I pushed to maximum capacity! I don’t care for suspension work, so I used OEM, figuring that they will outlast the remaining life of the truck.
8CA28BB1-CC36-42EE-A9DE-534BC5D84B2C.jpeg

This finishes off the major work on this restoration which includes:
LS swap
Replace and refurbished interior
Body work, replacing 3 doors, new paint
New shoes
This will be my daily driver, camping ,fishing vehicle. No big bumpers or sliders , in order to keep the weight down. It’s a road warrior with capable off road abilities, triple locked, 30 mm spacers on stock springs. Wife loves the running boards so don’t ask😬😆
Looking to add a Prinsu or Bowfin rack soon.

View attachment 2319719
Used a Harbor Freight 12 ton press that I pushed to maximum capacity! I don’t care for suspension work, so I used OEM, figuring that they will outlast the remaining life of the truck.
View attachment 2319727
LS swap
New shoes
This will be my daily driver, camping ,fishing vehicle. No big bumpers or sliders , in order to keep the weight down. It’s a road warrior with capable off road abilities, triple locked, 30 mm spacers on stock springs. Wife loves the running boards so don’t ask😬😆
Full suspension bushing update is on my long-term to do list as well. Any real noticeable difference in ride quality once done?

Full suspension bushing update is on my long-term to do list as well. Any real noticeable difference in ride quality once done?
I did mine a few months back. The difference is not a night and day thing but definitely very noticeable. Most of my old bushings were still in one piece but if yours are split then i imagine the difference would be massive.

View attachment 2319719
View attachment 2319727
LS swap
New shoes
Turned out great!👍

Finally wired up my sub I got from another mud member, got the panel, sub box, amp and subwoofer for a trade on a factory panel. It hits pretty hard and I'm super happy how it turned out only $ spent was a wiring kit.

View attachment 2318784

View attachment 2318785

View attachment 2318786

View attachment 2318787
I really like that sub panel. Do you know if that is a factory item or a custom built panel? Also, is there an enclosure for the sub itself?
Thanks,
dg

It isn’t huge but noticeable. After 23 years and 300k, the old bushings were in ok shape. The worst ones were the front Panhard rod bushings, and it eliminated the front end wandering that I had at highway speeds. I plan on driving this thing into the ground so it needed to be done sooner or later.

Last edited:
Well, it’s only Tuesday but i tossed on some new wheels and tires and took a drive to the reservoir (mostly to take a photo)! Much cleaner than the aftermarket wheels it came with, and the Toyo Open Counties are a big improvement over the Pathfinder ATs :)

ABB4FB31-3372-4533-8373-125B78750196.jpeg

Lost another Minnesotan to the west. ;). Now you are in the heart of it with so much terrain to explore. I might have to do something similar.
It was a tough choice. Minnesota has a lot to offer, especially with all of our close friends and family living there. Really going to miss lake time in the summer. We definitely feel spoiled/blessed/lucky to be able to live out west and call this home. Grand Junction really is in the heart of everything out here, let me know if you’re ever heading out this way!

Memorial weekend trip in the Eastern Sierras - 4 ppl, 1 dog, 3 nights 4 days camping trip, 80s weight in @ 7000lbs

rD5ymJH.jpg

WMacDk9.jpg

8QSxjeT.jpg

1O7msvV.jpg

9Rt1zOv.jpg

HnuhZQ1.jpg

TxTClnf.jpg

Good looking rig and looks like a blast. I think your rig is my rig's long lost twin....

Good catch
I check for cracks in likely areas quite often and I knew it was just a matter of time for the frame and track bar bracket. Instead of patching it up and watching for the work hardened metal crack again, I cut the track bar bracket off, fish plated both sides of the frame and am in the process of building my own track bar bracket from scratch. I’ll post this project to my build thread once it’s finished.

No, they're flared fittings. No O-rings. I don't know why Red Head sends those...must just go with every box they ship.
It wasn't Redhead...it was all me. I am mechanically inclined but technically ignorant sometimes. :bang::meh:

I really like that sub panel. Do you know if that is a factory item or a custom built panel? Also, is there an enclosure for the sub itself?
Thanks,
dg
Its absolutely homemade custom. it appears that who ever made it used the factory plastic panel as a guide and cut it out. It looks like fiberglass was put on to mould it and then it was covered in vinyl (it doesn't match my gray but I don't mind). The sub box looks like it was modified a bit and in the picture you can see the little metal mounts that secured to the box to the quarterpanel. The box fits tight nd I secured the box to the car using self tapping metal screws into the metal lip the factory panel mounts to. The the trim panel fits over it all and I again used self tapping screws to secure the panel because I couldn't get it to line up with the size of the box etc..

Screenshot_20200527-103244_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200527-103857_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom