Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished the week with more wiring.....still wiring. This week we spent a couple days on accessory stuff....worked on the gauge setup that I'm running which is a bit complex. We brought in 5 sender wires from under the hood....water temp, MAP sensor, EGT probe lead, oil pressure sensor and an outside temp probe. We also ran wires for the cruise control....again....pretty complex. For such a simple truck, we've added a TON of stuff. Too much. Still need to wire in a switch for the battery isolator too...

Had to mount the small switches for controlling the gauge's functions....mounted right under the stereo bezel. Very easy to get at.

20200312_102018_1.jpg
20200312_102223_1.jpg

Had to replace the rear tank sending unit.....it was different from our front unit. 2 wire on my truck....3 wire on the sub tank that the truck came with. Partsouq to the rescue as usual.

20200312_110933_1.jpg
20200312_110941_1.jpg
20200312_180944.jpg

Thanks to @WarDamnEagle for posting these....reminded me to buy some. This truck didn't have any....my other one did. We'll have to cut them down since the shock towers are different on my truck vs a 79.....no biggie...we can handle it :)
20200312_111730_1.jpg
20200312_111720_1.jpg
20200312_111727_1.jpg

Some real work being done....building the axles.

Ordered in some Longfield axles.....figured I might as well do inner axles too....there were some slight grooves in the axles where the seals were riding. Could have used the Marlin Eco Seals to fix this issue but I read a lot of mixed reviews on the 80 stuff....so I went OEM. Figured they'll last a while.

Gun drilled, dual snap ring Birfields....really cool.
20200313_132538.jpg
20200313_132532.jpg

Updated these studs to the newer style. Found a couple of the studs were loose when we started taking them out. These have the tendency to come loose on the right side of the 80s.....yikes. Red Loctite....shouldn't come loose on this rig.
20200313_140915.jpg

Somebody forgot to order knuckle bearings....so this stuff has to wait until Monday to go in when said bearings arrive.
20200313_165937.jpg

Finished the front axle up....so cool to have manual hubs on this thing. I'm doing a double take every time I walk by.

Trail Gear wipers in the back, EBC green pads, Stop Tech rotors....OEM bearings inside and of course the Longfield axles.
20200316_154855.jpeg

And with the axles done and the new springs in.....this is where we ended up sitting.

20200316_173425.jpeg
20200316_173605.jpeg
20200316_173615.jpeg

Need to get the bed back on tomorrow and see how things look with some weight in the rear. Will be nice to see it back together. And to have a lift back.

Had to update the stereo's firmware today and most importantly get a logo on there :)

Tested all the connections as well....we did a couple of cool retrofits in this truck....tested things today and all systems are a go. I'll document that when we get into interior assembly....which might be soon.

20200316_091918_HDR.jpeg

AND.......we got this cool little set up working. This thing is neat. Reveltronics UTCOMP-PRO. Does a lot of stuff....I'll be keeping it simple....boost, EGT, oil pressure and water temp for my main screen and battery, outside temp, etc. on other screens. It will display time, mileage, trip mileage, speed(we are using our speed sensor's signal), etc. Lots of stuff with fuel and fuel economy....we didn't get into that yet.

I didn't want it very complex....just a nice clean display. This covers it. Haven't really played with it enough....but I will. Guaranteed.

Probably the screen I like the most. There is another one with 6 displayed readings that is cool but the numbers are small and I can't see them without my glasses :( The pressure and EGT always stay the same on this page but you can toggle the left and right lower readings. I like boost, EGT, oil pressure, water temp. But for some reason I love seeing outside air temps.
20200316_170811_HDR.jpeg
20200316_170916_HDR.jpeg
20200316_154006.jpeg

And of course, the best part of it....
20200316_170822_HDR.jpeg

I dig that display like a ditch. I have been looking at the Madman EMS3R for a single round gauge, but I like yours a lot.

I dig that display like a ditch. I have been looking at the Madman EMS3R for a single round gauge, but I like yours a lot.

I've put in a lot of neat stuff over the years and this thing is one of the slicker pieces. I think, on a steel dash, that you could probably run 2 of these in the instrument pod that mounts on the top of the dash. Would be neat to have 2 of them going for more info or larger displays. The control box is pretty good sized and needs to be close to the unit but that's not the end of the world to figure out.

What's really cool is that there are alarms that you can set for whatever you want.....EGT high temp, water temp, etc. The display can be dimmed, flipped, etc.

They have a smaller one too that would fit really well where the clock goes on a steel dash truck.

UTCOMP 2.5

And this one with an OLED screen....like on the one I have. The screen is incredible.

Better shot of the tires and front end height....looks pretty good. Still adjusting to the 17" wheel....makes the tire look so much smaller than the 255/85/16 on the #1 truck. Not sure I like.

Message_1584453378175.jpg
20200317_104034.jpg

Thinking a 1" spring lift in the rear might be my starting point....OME 863J.

Once 50 gallons of fuel goes in, it will come down a bit overall I would assume...since this has a mid mount and rear tank it might be a little more level than #1 that just has a rear tank only. Of course all this changes once the canopy goes on the truck along with all the other crap.

Rear tire is short too...30.5". Front is 32.5" on a rough measurement.
20200317_110121.jpg

The Falken Wildpeak looks downright dainty....

20200317_104112.jpg

I'm starting to like the masking tape on the bumper. I think you should clear-coat it. :hillbilly:

Better shot of the tires and front end height....looks pretty good. Still adjusting to the 17" wheel....makes the tire look so much smaller than the 255/85/16 on the #1 truck. Not sure I like.

View attachment 2241360

I'm not a fan of large diameter rims on trucks either but I could probably live with 17" rims. Definitely wouldn't want anything larger though. Really coming together nicely.

I'm starting to like the masking tape on the bumper. I think you should clear-coat it. :hillbilly:

Hahahaha....I looked at this AM and thought about removing it. It may be permanently stuck on there :)

I'm not a fan of large diameter rims on trucks either but I could probably live with 17" rims. Definitely wouldn't want anything larger though. Really coming together nicely.

It's one of those things that my brain needs to get used to.....I think the 17s will be fine. They have already grown on me over the course of the day.

It's one of those things that my brain needs to get used to.....I think the 17s will be fine. They have already grown on me over the course of the day.

One indirect benefit I've come to appreciate about the 17's (on the Troopy) is the free and clear view of the brake pads from behind the wheel.

One indirect benefit I've come to appreciate about the 17's (on the Troopy) is the free and clear view of the brake pads from behind the wheel.

Definitely a good thing.

I had a note just like that on my steering wheel but mine
image.jpeg
was there to remind me to buy toilet paper on the way home. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom