Holley Sniper EFI and DUI distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knuckle47

I can’t get enough Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
I need to put a fire under my butt and plan on trying to install the Holley Sniper EFI on to my 2F FJ40 after owning the Mosley kit with in tank fuel pump over a year now. The vehicle came with a Performance D.U.I. Distributor and a Weber Carb. Nothing wrong currently, it runs great but I love the fuel injection concept and must install it finally.

Has anyone used this combination and utilized the connection of the distributor to the EFI module? Any suggestions ?

I’ve been reading the threads that owners have installed Holley systems over an over but I don’t seem to see too many discussions on that part. One of my hesitations has been that it runs too damn well to screw with but why have a Land Cruiser if you can’t experiment. Gave up on the locker ideas, they’re just too heavy for me to to lift and carry

I believe I have all the parts needed, just waiting for the leg and I’ll get started.

I need to put a fire under my butt and plan on trying to install the Holley Sniper EFI on to my 2F FJ40 after owning the Mosley kit with in tank fuel pump over a year now. The vehicle came with a Performance D.U.I. Distributor and a Weber Carb. Nothing wrong currently, it runs great but I love the fuel injection concept and must install it finally.

Has anyone used this combination and utilized the connection of the distributor to the EFI module? Any suggestions ?

I’ve been reading the threads that owners have installed Holley systems over an over but I don’t seem to see too many discussions on that part. One of my hesitations has been that it runs too damn well to screw with but why have a Land Cruiser if you can’t experiment. Gave up on the locker ideas, they’re just too heavy for me to to lift and carry

I believe I have all the parts needed, just waiting for the leg and I’ll get started.
If she’s running great, baseline, adjust your valves and pop that sniper on. Clean wiring, 60psi, and strong voltage and you’ll be good to go. Once the sniper is running well, experiment with the timing control but we are tuning tractors so it seems to be overkill (IMO).

@Jdc1 well that is statement of confidence…thank you for the kick in the butt. Was going to mount the O2 port on the headers before the surgery but hesitated so that will be the second step after the valve recheck. 👍

@Jdc1 well that is statement of confidence…thank you for the kick in the butt. Was going to mount the O2 port on the headers before the surgery but hesitated so that will be the second step after the valve recheck. 👍
I’ve always had luck making one small change at a time. Feel free to PM with any questions. The Sniper has a ton of great support and online articles to read, with the added bonus of vendors offering remote tuning if needed.

@Jdc1 great tip…. It’s a May 1975. As for the articles…. I think I have read ALL OF THEM and saw a few dozen YouTube videos…. I’m stuck in this recliner for another few weeks walking in circles every hour 🤣

You’re absolutely right making 1 change at a time…. I have had luck doing that and usually screw something up doing more than 1 and of course, don’t know which was the problem

If she’s running great, baseline, adjust your valves and pop that sniper on. Clean wiring, 60psi, and strong voltage and you’ll be good to go. Once the sniper is running well, experiment with the timing control but we are tuning tractors so it seems to be overkill (IMO).

You’re absolutely right making 1 change at a time…. I have had luck doing that and usually screw something up doing more than 1 and of course, don’t know which was the problem

I have a “Sniper” sitting in the Bullpen. After adding the DUI to the JimC carb I didn’t want to add the Sniper “just yet”. GR Starter and the DUI as the 1-2 Mods are exceeding expectations. The Holley, I’m sure, will be another upgrade I won’t regret. But, my JimC rebuild is still running top notch. As these original carbs become harder to find or simply wear out, I’ll start warming up the Sniper for that 9th inning home stretch..😉

@Chungas Revenge so same deal for me….i think the truck runs so well, I did not want to mess up what’s there. @Jdc1 said, there are so many support videos and articles out there. I have sat and watched 15 minute install tutorials and several that were 2 hours to 40 hour rebuilds adding the Snuper in the process. All of them were encouraging but maybe not enough to drag me out to the garage and do it

@Chungas Revenge and @Jdc1 im sure you guys have read thru this post by @thecrazygreek … I have read this maybe 12 times over the last year or so

The Holley "Hyperspark" system is not compatible with your DUI dizzy. If you want that control, Mosley seems to be selling a modified Holley Hyperspark dizzy. I don't see the point on a 2F personally. I have been running my Sniper with the stock dizzy, and am very happy with the performance.

Thanks @John Smith my FJ40 had it installed when the truck was re-built before I’d purchased it. I changed my ‘74 50 years ago to a centrifugal advance but…. Never saw any change from doing so. However, It’s in there and seems to do a very good job so I would use it. I agree with you and others. The Sniper manual seems to say it’s just a simple plug-in but I don’t believe it would be that simple

@Chungas Revenge so same deal for me….i think the truck runs so well, I did not want to mess up what’s there. @Jdc1 said, there are so many support videos and articles out there. I have sat and watched 15 minute install tutorials and several that were 2 hours to 40 hour rebuilds adding the Snuper in the process. All of them were encouraging but maybe not enough to drag me out to the garage and do it

I’m going to do it “eventually”. But, as of today, I’m not fixing something that isn’t broken. There’s a lot of success stories with the HS. I’ll jump in with both feet when and if my JimC carb takes a nose dive..

I’ve been running the Sniper/DUI combo for 4-1/2 years. Wiring a DUI do a Sniper is quite easy. (without timing control) The pink wire from the Sniper simply ties into the wire from your ignition switch that goes to the “BAT” terminal on your DUI now. The yellow wire from the Sniper goes to the “TACH” terminal on the DUI.
Using Holley’s diagrams, I made a simplified diagram for a Sniper/DUI hookup.
Performance distributors (DUI) recommends using a relay to feed the DUI and I use one on mine. Several DUI users here have left that relay out without issue. That’s why I show it as “optional” in the drawing.
“Here”is a link to the Sniper PDF manual if you don’t have it already. I used pages 17 and 23 to make my diagram.

SnpWrng3a.jpg

Last edited:
@Steamer great diagram. Too cool!! I have the manual and printed a copy of it to lean on the hood when I get to the actual installation. I well go check your copy to be sure the REVISIONS if any, are updated. I have not recollection but is there a part number on the relay?

Since I’m stuck inside for a while I am reading and watching everything I can find all over again.

Saved and printed your diagram 👍
Damn Autocorrect

Last edited:
I’ve been running the Sniper/DUI combo for 4-1/2 years. Wiring a DUI do a Sniper is quite easy. (without timing control) The pink wire from the Sniper simply ties into the wire from your ignition switch that goes to the “BAT” terminal on your DUI now. The yellow wire from the Sniper goes to the “TACH” terminal on the DUI.
Using Holley’s diagrams, I made a simplified diagram for a Sniper/DUI hookup.
Performance distributors (DUI) recommends using a relay to feed the DUI and I use one on mine. Several DUI users here have left that relay out without issue. That’s why I show it as “optional” in the drawing.
“Here”is a link to the Sniper PDF manual if you don’t have it already. I used pages 17 and 23 to make my diagram.

Nice visual aid.!!!

Is there a recommendation for spark plugs after installing the Sniper? It may be in the manual but I’ve not discovered this yet. Ordered the Earl’s pressure gauge and fitting last night for fuel pressure. Is anyone leaving it permanently in-line?

Is there a recommendation for spark plugs after installing the Sniper?
Haven't heard of any specified. I use the Denso W14EXR-U which is popular here.

Ordered the Earl’s pressure gauge and fitting last night for fuel pressure. Is anyone leaving it permanently in-line?
Yup. Actually, I have two. One right next to the Sniper, and then when I switched to an external regulator which is mounted under the passenger seat, I just went ahead and plugged the extra hole with a gauge instead of the plug. Overkill maybe but it’s not in the way so….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom