Holley Sniper EFI for Mosley Rebuilt 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As far as i know only the 4 barrel version is. but i have not looked for a 2 barrel so it could be ?

??

Can you run the Sniper v2 to the 40 and does the 2nd gen have a lot of useful improvements/performance?

I'm running with choke 1/4 out even in the summer. In the Winter I often lose power once the bottom of 3rd.

I've got a Mosely rebuilt 2F and an H55J so maybe I need to assess carb first. But..... this truck has always run needing some choke. Mosely engine is a game changer but I'm not a competent mechanic or hobbyist mechanic and I'd hate to find out I can improve performance a lot more. Don't get me wrong, it runs great - but I've only ever driven my 40, and a 95' Wrangler.

I'm also using a Dakota Digital cluster so I need to check in with them regarding compatibility - I don't think they are there yet on the v2.
Something is not set up right if you need the choke out to run. If you need choke to run you are leaving performance on the table. (especially in summer when air is warmer/less dense so usually you’d be richer).
Bolting on a sniper isn’t likely to fix this issue, especially if it was there before. I’d be looking for vacuum leaks, health of fuel delivery system and ignition system.
What carb is on it now?

Something is not set up right if you need the choke out to run. If you need choke to run you are leaving performance on the table. (especially in summer when air is warmer/less dense so usually you’d be richer).
Bolting on a sniper isn’t likely to fix this issue, especially if it was there before. I’d be looking for vacuum leaks, health of fuel delivery system and ignition system.
What carb is on it now?
Yeah, it's about 10-15 minutes before I can let off the choke. Maybe in the cold 1/4 pull. Doing a year-end service with the mechanic in Dec will have him check carb. Will send a pic of mine - check the make/part.

Yeah, it's about 10-15 minutes before I can let off the choke. Maybe in the cold 1/4 pull. Doing a year-end service with the mechanic in Dec will have him check carb. Will send a pic of mine - check the make/part.
Ok may not be as bad as I was thinking. I misunderstood and thought you were saying you have to drive around with it always part choked.
10-15 min is still longer than it should need though.

I've been happy with my Sniper v1 - I think the more compelling shift is when you add on the Hyperspark ignition where you've got full programmable control of both fuel and spark. It does take a little fiddling and fabwork for the dizzy, though, as there isn't off the shelf fitment.

I took the jump since I was doing a full frame-off rebuild - no better time to do the wiring and fuel lines. If the rig is together and running good with the carb, it's more of a hedge I suppose. Either way, it's not a bad install, and it is a nice setup for sure.
I agree with zerotreedelta, if you decide to go with the Sniper, add the Hyperspark. I converted my 2F about 9 months ago and no issues, drives great. You can follow zerotreedelta's instructions for converting the Holley distributor or buy one already converted from Mosley.

For what it’s worth: I bought my Sniper kit from Mosley with the in-tank fuel pump about 18 months ago. I have a ‘75 FJ40 that was a full engine re-build and was built with a Weber carb. This truck runs wonderfully aside from the 3-week no start. Carb is responsive, smooth, great idle, no flat spots and I have no clue was the mileage is. Any time I would think of starting the swap, I’d get in the truck and drive it a bit and was so happy the way it runs, I’d cruise around and then go back home to do nothing.

In my discussions with @Chungas Revenge , he echos the same comment. He is very pleased they way his truck is running and not yet motivated to change it.

My motivation was… I have no choke connected and the initial start could benefit from it a tiny bit. The most memorable event I know about fuel injection is that …as a motorcycle rider, anything I ever rode ( 1930’s to 1960’s Harley-Davidsons) had to be kick started. Decades of kick starting. Then I bought my first Ultra Classic Electra-Glide in 1997 and it was fuel injected…. YIKES!…a simple 1 second press of a button the the thing was running.

I wanted my Land Cruiser to do that same thing… BAM……Holley Sniper (still in the box). I will say I did order a few relays, fuses and pressure gauge and when this leg heals, it’s going on the cruiser

@TuckerHudson By the way….i bought my new 1974 FJ40 from Morristown Toyota in 1974

As for the hyperspark modification……Found this on YouTube. Lone wolf is one of my favorite video FJ40 rebuild series along with many others. It’s fun even watching Land Cruiser getting worked on

Appreciate the good word - I think there's thread on here with a few details on the mods I did as well. Still very happy with the Sniper+Hyperspark combo, although still waiting for the winter salt to go away. Just might try make it to a dyno shop this summer for some fine tuning.

(And unfortunately my user name on here doesn't match my LWW channel, but that's how it goes😆).

Appreciate the good word - I think there's thread on here with a few details on the mods I did as well. Still very happy with the Sniper+Hyperspark combo, although still waiting for the winter salt to go away. Just might try make it to a dyno shop this summer for some fine tuning.

(And unfortunately my user name on here doesn't match my LWW channel, but that's how it goes😆).
So this is you ? Cool….nice to say hello

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom