Holley Sniper EFI for Mosley Rebuilt 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any thoughts, or pros/cons on a potential switch to the Holley Sniper EFI for my 78 FJ40? I've been running a rebuilt Mosley 2F mated with a 5-speed H55F for the past two years and wanted to weigh the pros and cons of the potential swap. Seems pricey and a lot of work/maintenance but I'd need to understand the benefits more. Thank you.

How do you use the cruiser?
How does it run now?
Any current fuel system issues?
Lots of elevation changes?
Hard starting hot or cold?

How do you use the cruiser?
How does it run now?
Any current fuel system issues?
Lots of elevation changes?
Hard starting hot or cold?
Runs great thanks to the new 2F, needs a choke no matter the temp. Usually for 5-7 minutes in moderate temps. Only cruising around highways and streets. (I'd love to take her off-road). I am not at high altitudes. The 5SPD is a game-changer. Can cruise at 80 but don't exceed 65 with the tipiness. Was wondering if it was a bit much with the lack of offroading. I do feel like I am getting sub-10mpg on the local paved roads. I've run 91-93 at the advice of my mechanic post swap. Was wondering if it could further boost power and acceleration and maybe smooth out the acceleration. I have no complaints with the truck, AT ALL. I'm a mechanic novice (as a disclaimer).

From what you describe, I don’t think I’d do a sniper (and I have a snipered 40). I think a good carb tune of the Aisin carb may be all that’s needed. I don’t feel you really get more power with the sniper and negligible fuel economy. I think people that see big gains in either had a poorly operating carb system to start. I used to think the sniper helped starts but I have my 60 with an Amazon Aisin tuned so well I’m not sure I even believe that anymore.

I get 12-13 mpg mixed driving in my 40 with a tired 1F engine and sniper with 33’s and a 4 speed. I do feel the sniper helps with throttle response but again, could be tuning.

I would strongly suggest holding out until they release the sniper 2 in the 2300 version . The sniper 2 is so much better than the sniper 1

From what you describe, I don’t think I’d do a sniper (and I have a snipered 40). I think a good carb tune of the Aisin carb may be all that’s needed. I don’t feel you really get more power with the sniper and negligible fuel economy. I think people that see big gains in either had a poorly operating carb system to start. I used to think the sniper helped starts but I have my 60 with an Amazon Aisin tuned so well I’m not sure I even believe that anymore.

I get 12-13 mpg mixed driving in my 40 with a tired 1F engine and sniper with 33’s and a 4 speed. I do feel the sniper helps with throttle response but again, could be tuning.
Huge help.

They have already released the sniper 2 ( i have it ) but it is for the 4 barrel
I do not know the time line on when they will release the 2 barrel version . but it would be worth a call to Holley . I am not saying the sniper 1 does not work But there are alot of known and common issues and they fixed these with the sniper 2

They have already released the sniper 2 ( i have it ) but it is for the 4 barrel
I do not know the time line on when they will release the 2 barrel version . but it would be worth a call to Holley . I am not saying the sniper 1 does not work But there are alot of known and common issues and they fixed these with the sniper 2
DANG MAN! See, it's post like above as to why I don't have a loaded savings account!!!!!

@TuckerHudson FWIW - I've run the Sniper since 1/2020 ..... did have an ECM issue in 10/2020, but Holley quickly replaced my unit free of charge. About 15,000 miles later, it has been flawless. But if they come out with a version "2".....my funds will happily be dispensed for it! ..... But I drive my rig almost daily.

I’ve been on the fence to get the Sniper and think ‘24 will be the year — but will hold off for the 2 now. A test drive in @GA Architect’s rig has been sitting with me for awhile. She starts up fine with the choke and some pedal priming, but have hesitation while driving on the road and just want better reliability…

I've been happy with my Sniper v1 - I think the more compelling shift is when you add on the Hyperspark ignition where you've got full programmable control of both fuel and spark. It does take a little fiddling and fabwork for the dizzy, though, as there isn't off the shelf fitment.

I took the jump since I was doing a full frame-off rebuild - no better time to do the wiring and fuel lines. If the rig is together and running good with the carb, it's more of a hedge I suppose. Either way, it's not a bad install, and it is a nice setup for sure.

Can you run the Sniper v2 to the 40 and does the 2nd gen have a lot of useful improvements/performance?

I'm running with choke 1/4 out even in the summer. In the Winter I often lose power once the bottom of 3rd.

I've got a Mosely rebuilt 2F and an H55J so maybe I need to assess carb first. But..... this truck has always run needing some choke. Mosely engine is a game changer but I'm not a competent mechanic or hobbyist mechanic and I'd hate to find out I can improve performance a lot more. Don't get me wrong, it runs great - but I've only ever driven my 40, and a 95' Wrangler.

I'm also using a Dakota Digital cluster so I need to check in with them regarding compatibility - I don't think they are there yet on the v2.

m also using a Dakota Digital cluster so I need to check in with them regarding compatibility - I don't think they are there yet on the v2.
From what I understand the dakota cluster doesnt rely on any of the sniper sensors and the sniper sensors dont rely on the dakota sensors - they are completely seperate and standalone. The only interface is the tach signal wire from the sniper harness that outputs to your dakota dash (or standalone tach).

I've got the V1 flavor...for a 2F application, it's hard to say how much lift/value you would get from V2, aside from a longer support window as it's the newer generation. Seems fairly minimal to me in the grand scheme.

From what I understand the dakota cluster doesnt rely on any of the sniper sensors and the sniper sensors dont rely on the dakota sensors - they are completely seperate and standalone. The only interface is the tach signal wire from the sniper harness that outputs to your dakota dash (or standalone tach).

Dakota Digital does have a OBD box that relays info. I don't know if the Holley setup has an ODB port or not

Since they have not released the V2 yet no one will be able to answer that . I know when i went from the S1 to the S2 somethings would not work like the throttle linkage i had to change .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom