What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (31 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you a member of the Tornado Alley group? There seems to be a number of folks from that area with ‘extended’ builds.
Hey I am part of that group...It might take a little longer but we are going to get there.

I am a newbie to the scene, and thanks to @tornadoalleycruiser I already have the list of parts for disk brake conversion, and he has offered to help with the upgrade. Somehow I had access to stock wheels, 4 speed transmission, original roll bar, jump seats, steering column (for PS upgrade), wiring harness, front bumper, gauge cluster, and other smaller items. I think that is pretty fast for six months. I appreciate these guys spending time helping others, while they could be working on their own rigs. True definition of the Midwest.

Ouch.. but true! I do have a significant piece of the puzzle inbound from overseas! & @Chef has his in the paint booth.. My Grandfather used to work in Eureka and lived in Climax Ks. We have one member in Emporia that is a wealth of knowledge when you need help.

That is REALLY funny!
Ouch.. but true! I do have a significant piece of the puzzle inbound from overseas! & @Chef has his in the paint booth.. My Grandfather used to work in Eureka and lived in Climax Ks. We have one member in Emporia that is a wealth of knowledge when you need help.

:bounce::bounce:

I have missed the Lone Star Roundup for probably at least 5 years now. But I remember meeting you and Alan out there at the first or second one I went to. Why don't you guys put yourself on a deadline to have the rigs together for next March, and we'll have a reunion.:)

Post #1000!

Here's more stuff I can't do anything with yet. New soft top from Julie (Anchor Stitch), the supplier @Trollhole was using before he turned it all over to Julie. Really nice looking piece of kit. Wish I could do something with it, but with the tub still at the paint shop... :meh:

img_1251-jpg.1776310

Because it won't fit on this right now...

img_1253-jpg.1776321

img_1252-jpg.1776326

Last edited:
Found a kindred spirit at my local grocery store. I couldn’t find the owner but I had to take some pictures.

I know I’m supposed to hate jeeps, but I’d be hard pressed to pass up a nice Willys pickup if the opportunity arose to add one to the stable.

43C2E5C2-95F9-4186-99D9-FFD9DCC06E0A.jpeg

5967361E-52EB-457B-B95F-41D995FEE64F.jpeg

Found a kindred spirit at my local grocery store. I couldn’t find the owner but I had to take some pictures.

I know I’m supposed to hate jeeps, but I’d be hard pressed to pass up a nice Willys pickup if the opportunity arose to add one to the stable.

View attachment 1776379

View attachment 1776378
Modern Jeeps suck, but some of the classics were truly great. I dont think its possible to hate on anything with the name Willys or any of the wagoneers. Really cool vehicles.

Which color/option did you go with? I'm going need get one for my Capri Blue.

Post #1000!

Here's more stuff I can't do anything with yet. New soft top from Julie (Anchor Stitch), the supplier @Trollhole was using before he turned it all over to Julie. Really nice looking piece of kit. Wish I could do something with it, but with the tub still at the paint shop... :meh:

img_1251-jpg.1776310

img_1253-jpg.1776321

img_1252-jpg.1776326

Post #1000!

img_1251-jpg.1776310

img_1253-jpg.1776321

img_1252-jpg.1776326
i feel your pain sir

i'm sure i knew him pretty tight knit community around here

Which color/option did you go with? I'm going need get one for my Capri Blue.
Buckskin PVC. Julie sent samples of both that and Sandlewood, and Sandlewood was too dark for me. Buckskin is nice with both River Blue and Coral seats.

View attachment 1774903 I took her for a test drive today. I finally have just about everything working except the ambulance door lock. It works, just don’t have a key. Guess I’ll order a lock. Over the past week, I shimmmed the rear axle 4* to decrease drive shaft angles, moved the axle back 1.25” and replaced the ujoints while I was at it. Then, replaced my temporary 3* aluminum shims up front with some scoocum 4* billet steel ones from California Hybrids. My first order from them by the way and they were great to work with. Took her for a test drive today and I don’t know what I did but I swear she rides MUCH better than she did last week. The ride feels less choppy and smoother over bumps, pot holes and dips. This truck has been a work in progress over about the last twenty years, originally by my friend, Matt up in Fairbanks and over the last year by me in Juneau. The engine, trans, tc, axles and brakes were rebuilt while Matt had custody, before we drove it from Fairbanks to Juneau. In the last year, I focused on getting everything working, repaired, refurbished or replaced by mostly oem parts. Now it’s time to start working on the body. The frame in this truck is pretty much perfect, with original under coat left in some places. My plan is to not do a frame off because, as I told my wife, I want it to remain drivable as much as possible so I can enjoy it rather than going down some rabbit hole that ends up exceeding my lifetime. At sixty-four, I think that’s a good plan.

We passed through Juneau back in mid July on the ferry from Gustavus and had the evening waiting for the Columbia. Went to the Sandbar for halibut. Walking out of their saw a FJ40 going down the highway. Could it have been you ? ed

We passed through Juneau back in mid July on the ferry from Gustavus and had the evening waiting for the Columbia. Went to the Sandbar for halibut. Walking out of their saw a FJ40 going down the highway. Could it have been you ? ed

Yep. That would have been me. There are three FJ40s that I know of in Juneau. Besides mine, a green 76 owned by a close friend and a white one, year unknown being overhauled. I have a shop down the road from the Sandbar and live out the road just past the ferry terminal.

More parts home today. Getting rather anxious, I want to start reassembly NOW! Fenders and hood are not home yet, they were still in the booth when I stopped in.

Was originally planning on not repainting the bezel, retaining its 55 years of mild patina. Now, I don't think it's good enough. Need to figure out a match for the early bezel color, early rigs are not Cygnus, it is more creamy than that. Probably Shell Ivory, but what will match that comes in a rattle can is the question.

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

Looks a lot like Cavalry Blue on the ‘18 4Runner Pro. Looking good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom