Builds 'Brightening' a Fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Next on the list has been power steering and threw in a new fuel pump since I had an oil leak. Ended up finding two insulators stacked on the old fuel pump :/. Cold starts are even easier now. I assume the arm wasn't being pressed in all the way.

Afterwards, new pump, pulley, high pressure line and all hardware. While I was deep in the bay, I figured why not throw in my new egr.

That brings us to today, my next order arrived so I can do the steering gear and intermediate shaft. The u-joint in the intermediate shaft had play so I figured why not do the full monty while it's still available. It's quite a pretty piece when it's in your hands.

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

52736878828__2AE3EB36-7E6A-4341-A00A-314B8BC0C93F.JPG

52736879311__2961DCB8-1038-472B-9641-07A9E870A09F.JPG

So the order that came today is new hardware for the steering gear, the oem rebuilt kit, soft return lines, new hardware for the intermediate shaft shield, more hardware and even sourced one of the last hardlines off the steering gear from an 80 series. Actually a handful of items are sourced off 80s that are NLA.

IMG_1585.JPG

Celebrating my one year Anniversary! 20,000 miles added since purchase and no breakdowns!

Nothing too big to report otherwise. New OEM vacuum hose for the whole truck and happy to see the gauge holding at 21inHg.

However i have been battling a squealing air pump belt since mine locked up. Tried most everything and opted to just order a new pulley since they are still available. After a new belt, seems like it’s finally fixed. I’m assuming I glazed the pulley when the smog pump locked up. Easily could have blasted the pulley on the truck and repainted/powdered but this was easier since it’s my daily.

Also fixed some rattles on the front seats, the bolts were all loose that bolt seat bottom to rail. Then decided to R+R the rear seat latch assembly, no more seat rattles!

Oil is now changed, and finally got my hands on a driver front mid flap so i removed all the mud flaps, cleaned and reinstalled with new hardware.

C795588B-5309-475A-855B-C532357AC380.jpeg

3F764E8A-7E6E-4570-90DB-23A0E27810C1.jpeg

96C8F36A-C4D9-4143-A1FD-42D3409A286D.jpeg

49C59805-AF9C-4F96-901A-C1BA2FC17A4D.jpeg

7B69EA7C-B44E-42CA-9706-CF20B99EB345.jpeg

Next on the list has been power steering and threw in a new fuel pump since I had an oil leak. Ended up finding two insulators stacked on the old fuel pump :/. Cold starts are even easier now. I assume the arm wasn't being pressed in all the way.

Afterwards, new pump, pulley, high pressure line and all hardware. While I was deep in the bay, I figured why not throw in my new egr.

That brings us to today, my next order arrived so I can do the steering gear and intermediate shaft. The u-joint in the intermediate shaft had play so I figured why not do the full monty while it's still available. It's quite a pretty piece when it's in your hands.

View attachment 1546774

View attachment 1546775

View attachment 1546776

View attachment 1546777

View attachment 1546778

Where did you find the NOS egr? That is a serious score.

Where did you find the NOS egr? That is a serious score.

Heavy hunting. Box was from 1994. I tend to scour every site for certain part numbers and sometimes i get lucky. Lady selling on eBay just put up a part number, found and bought immediately. She was clearing her parents old shop in Idaho.

I really like the stance of your rig! Are those 33x10.5X15? Looks like a 4" kit instead of a 2.5..

Yup, 33x10.5x15

It’s OME light/medium. When first installed, the rear sat astronomically high. Rear is A springs R/L but even that seemed like too much. Didn’t want to lower the rear so the front now has an Ome AAL and +1.5” shackles. If the rear ever settles more it will be perfect, but for now, no movement even after flexing heavily on trail.

Also using 2” spacers all around. Stock wheels with these tires scrubbed the body off road. Since i enjoy the stock wheels, i decided to space out instead.

Where did you source the 1.5" shackles? I had the heavy set up on mine and like you couldn't stand the ass sitting higher
than the front. I should have tried what you did. Looks great!

Do you have a main go to website for parts?

Partsouq/amayama/partznet.

I use all three to compare prices/shipping/availability. Certain stuff i also go local as my dealer gives me employee pricing now. Sometimes their pricing matches online and i can get stuff next day.

Wow! Your truck is really coming along.
Looking good.
Hope you are doing ok with them fires up there in Ojai. Lots of my friends had to evacuate from there homes.
Oh btw thanks for the site on them parts. They actually have the fender lamps I needed.
We need to meet once I get my rig running which will be soon!

Wow! Your truck is really coming along.
Looking good.
Hope you are doing ok with them fires up there in Ojai. Lots of my friends had to evacuate from there homes.
Oh btw thanks for the site on them parts. They actually have the fender lamps I needed.
We need to meet once I get my rig running which will be soon!

Fires were/are pretty intense. I barely missed the mandatory evacuation. Benefits of living right on the coast this time i suppose.

Get your truck going! I’m always cruising around, moreso on the harley on the weekends right now, so pick your poison.

Here’s a couple pics from the fire. One of the houses is my buddy’s next door neighbor.

2639ABBA-0FD6-4CCD-80D9-A7AC06454DDA.jpeg

D18B0284-FC9C-4DD5-8E07-DBF0C7E51758.jpeg

261F4B5F-B4C4-4DC1-848F-C9E1BB1DE898.jpeg

Yeah that's crazy!
Man sorry to see people lose there homes over this!
My carb just arrived today from being rebuilt. And working on a brake line that is leaking after modifying it to fit the new 80 series Master cylinder . Also waiting on my registration and plates to arrive been a month now!
yeah I could ride up there on my bike.

Yeah that's crazy!
Man sorry to see people lose there homes over this!
My carb just arrived today from being rebuilt. And working on a brake line that is leaking after modifying it to fit the new 80 series Master cylinder . Also waiting on my registration and plates to arrive been a month now!
yeah I could ride up there on my bike.

Feel free to message me when you're ready, I'll be down in LA at lucky wheels garage for a show they are putting on Saturday.

Oh really!
I heard of that place!
Been wanting to check that place out.
I'll hit you up as the weekend gets closer!
Maybe we can meet there

Got some time to sit down and rebuild the P/s gearbox and install the new intermediate shaft. All in all, smooth install, no issues. I found it funny because I had no problems installing the seals in the box but putting the balls back tested my patience. Ended up figuring the trick out and smooth sailing after.

Painted a few bits and new hardware on the box...I had planned to paint the box but with unforeseen rain inbound and only a motorcycle, I just cleaned it up and reinstalled after painting the frame area and pitman arm. I still have to put the guard back on but I am planning to drop a few items for powder and that is one of the items.

I also installed the remaining OEM hoses, I initially installed a Gates 3/8" hose from the reservoir and went to a 62 series hose to stick with the OEM Yokohama hose. That paired with the new intermediate shaft, hardware and clamps made me happy. No real pictures of the work, @NookShneer happened to be doing the same job at the same time on IG which was funny.

After a quick fill of ATF and bleed, the truck drives great without leaks. The new intermediate shaft eliminated the clunk and immediately noticed tighter steering.

While working I always play music, so here's what I had cookin on repeat, it's a real nice album.

03fFVZE.jpg

Siilr90.jpg

LduaYoy.jpg

Got some time to sit down and rebuild the P/s gearbox and install the new intermediate shaft. All in all, smooth install, no issues. I found it funny because I had no problems installing the seals in the box but putting the balls back tested my patience. Ended up figuring the trick out and smooth sailing after.

Painted a few bits and new hardware on the box...I had planned to paint the box but with unforeseen rain inbound and only a motorcycle, I just cleaned it up and reinstalled after painting the frame area and pitman arm. I still have to put the guard back on but I am planning to drop a few items for powder and that is one of the items.

I also installed the remaining OEM hoses, I initially installed a Gates 3/8" hose from the reservoir and went to a 62 series hose to stick with the OEM Yokohama hose. That paired with the new intermediate shaft, hardware and clamps made me happy. No real pictures of the work, @NookShneer happened to be doing the same job at the same time on IG which was funny.

After a quick fill of ATF and bleed, the truck drives great without leaks. The new intermediate shaft eliminated the clunk and immediately noticed tighter steering.

While working I always play music, so here's what I had cookin on repeat, it's a real nice album.

03fFVZE.jpg

Siilr90.jpg

LduaYoy.jpg

Clean frame! Did you paint? I'm gonna bump that track for my 80 rear axle project

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom