Builds 'Brightening' a Fj60 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Batch of parts showed up, add a leaf for the front, new bumper/caps and all hardware, and a few other bits.

Adding the OME D1XL AAL to the front picked it up about 1-1/8" and really helped reduce the rake. I'm much happier with the stance. I feel that the Light front springs are too light, even for stock 60s. Medium (6 leaves) should be used IMO. Ride is solid and much more precise.

vdNJWM1.jpg

lBeLSjI.jpg

aDAO8Gp.jpg

ZoDullA.jpg

And now with everything installed minus the front grill/emblem. That should be on this weekend.

YQcyqx1.jpg

I'm quietly on the hunt for early chrome T caps.... If you're holding, let me know.

Stance looks way better. I originally thought that it would not bother me on my rig...but it does. I working on the fixing it.

Your rig looks great!

Thanks! It bothered me...a lot. What setup do you have?

Looks great! Love the stance. If I ever get mine back on the road lets hit some trails. Im in LA but frequent up to SB to visit family.

Gimme a buzz! Trails in ojai/SB are open and berdoo isn't far either

Thanks! It bothered me...a lot. What setup do you have?

Same set as you. I'm running 17" wheels 265/70 BF tires so maybe I get a little less roll in the turns. I'm going to swap out my springs and shocks for a whole different system. I hope it makes a difference. A lot of my daily driving is on a pretty winding road, so the lean is pretty annoying.

No big updates right now, just driving the truck and watching my rear main leak. Swapped out the front u bolts for new ARB units since I did the AAL. Torqued all the bolts and greased the zerks again. Priced out an H55f...looks like that will be one of the next big mods, right after power steering revamp.

Amidst all that, I hit the rear wiper sprayer and nothing came out even though the motor was spinning and some fluid in the bag. Pulled it out to clean and came to the conclusion it was chock full of gunk... Gunk that I then realized was from a decomposed mouse. While cleaning and running water through the bag, a rock sized piece came out...which ended up being a mouse skull. Wish I snapped a pic of it, washed it down the sink before I realized I should.

Ditched the idea of reusing and ordered new bag and motor since its all still available. A bunch of misc bits were replaced as well, hood bumpers, gas filler seal, gas cap bumpers and hardware. Thanks to @TheNeek I am on a bender for ordering exterior parts. Besides that, ordered v/c gasket, nuts and seals so I can do a valve adjustment next.

Took the truck to Ojai for a little break on a clear day, quickly becoming my favorite place to cruise out for some solitude.

My Harley has been keeping me busy, show coming up in two weeks and a trip to Crater Lake the following week...Excited to be done with that project for a bit.

IMG_0445.JPG

FullSizeRender (7).jpg

IMG_0588.JPG

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

Last edited:
Spent a couple hours this week and installed a new grommet for the rear filler hardpipe and figured I would replace the clamps and hose as well.

Been chasing intermittent rising coolant temps when getting off the highway and coming to a stop, settles back down once I start moving.

So I put a new fan clutch, fan blade and hardware to almost round out the entire coolant system, radiator is the remaining unit, which was replaced at some point with a CSF unit.

Didn't seem to fix it just yet, might run a compression test soon and see if I have any funny business with headgasket.

Also put on a new aftermarket grill and OEM nameplate to make me feel better.

IMG_0637.JPG

51918261202__2D51BB63-4CE9-42E7-897A-33554BDE1EDE.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

Last edited:
Two 90480-92002? I have one waiting to go into my truck as soon as I run the tank down a bit but only saw the one place where it goes. Do you really need two of them?

I bought a spare, had a chat with parts dudes and apparently they are NLA and from what they could see, about 30 left in the country. Would need @beno to confirm NLA status, I didn't get to look at the screen.

EDIT: @beno confirmed they are NOT NLA, these are still readily available. Thanks!

Last edited:
Small batch of parts showed up. Thanks @NeverGiveUpYota for the vac advance!

Also has an issue with an OEM Toyota clutch master leaking around the reservoir so they warrantied and it just arrived today.

Also checked out SOR, that place is a goldmine and the guys there are super nice.

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

Been hunting for about 1-2inHg, hovered around 19 but bounced a bit.

Choke Breaker diaphragm and VTV passed their tests but failed to function per manual. Figured I would replace all the VTVs anyway and sure enough bumped my vacuum up to 20-20.5inHg and choke breaker works now.

Still waiting on one remaining VTV and a valve adjustment but she's so close to perfection.
IMG_1089.JPG

Last edited:
Great looking work @mattressking! It looks like the truck is very well sorted. I'm living in D.C. now and I've always wanted to venture out to Ventura.

Great looking work @mattressking! It looks like the truck is very well sorted. I'm living in D.C. now and I've always wanted to venture out to Ventura.

Thanks! I've seen your progress, truck is looking good! I've been watching/hearing the weather and I don't miss it! Would be cool if there was a cruiser meeting I could stop at when I'm back home visiting. If you ever find yourself in Ventura, beers on me.

What's in the box? Oh nothing but California gold.

Mine tests just fine, but I couldn't pass up an NOS item from September 21, 1994. No clue how California will need me to smog this thing.

This will pair well with my vac advance from @NeverGiveUpYota

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

Last edited:
Oh the things we get excited about. I need to learn to plan ahead and stock up like you're doing.

First batch showed up today. New coolant bottle and overflow cap from an 80 series.

Since the truck had fresh coolant and I didn't need a lot for the bottle, I figured I could reuse it assuming I could pull it out of the old bottle without bringing any more dirt into the new bottle.

Introduce coffee filters. Filtered out the little bits I didn't want back in the system perfectly.

View attachment 1449040

View attachment 1449041

View attachment 1449042
Max Schaaf Handle Grips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom