Builds 'Brightening' a Fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought a spare, had a chat with parts dudes and apparently they are NLA and from what they could see, about 30 left in the country. Would need @beno to confirm NLA status, I didn't get to look at the screen.

What clowns are you talking too? These grommets are not NLA. Just because there are 30 in the country does not mean they are NLA. It just means there are 30 in the country.

What clowns are you talking too? These grommets are not NLA. Just because there are 30 in the country does not mean they are NLA. It just means there are 30 in the country.

A bunch of ding dongs. I realized one of the two that give me employee pricing says it's the end after the stock he sees in the computer is gone. Not one to spread misinformation, I just assumed they were both hopefully right.

Updated previous post about status to reflect correct status.

Last edited:
A bunch of ding dongs. I realized one of the two that give me employee pricing says it's the end after the stock he sees in the computer is gone. Not one to spread misinformation, I just assumed they were both hopefully right.

Updated previous post about status to reflect correct status.

99% of Toyota parts guys have no idea how to read the information regarding part availability nor do they have the wherewithal to know who to call to find out the correct information.

The parts analysts used to be in Torrance. They are now in Plano. If your guys don't know who a parts analyst is, then they really have no idea what they are doing besides kicking boxes and punching keys.

99% of Toyota parts guys have no idea how to read the information regarding part availability nor do they have the wherewithal to know who to call to find out the correct information.

The parts analysts used to be in Torrance. They are now in Plano. If your guys don't know who a parts analyst is, then they really have no idea what they are doing besides kicking boxes and punching keys.

Sounds like most gov't workers I deal with on a daily basis. :cheers:

Funny because I work in a field that is very similar to yours however its for DON, not Automotive.

Really nice rig you've got going here. Question about your mirrors... I noticed you switched from the big chrome mirrors to the small 60 mirrors. I really dislike the small mirrors as far as function goes. I'd been contemplating doing the exact opposite and getting the larger mirrors. Do you like the view better with the new ones? Do you like the small mirror look?

Really nice rig you've got going here. Question about your mirrors... I noticed you switched from the big chrome mirrors to the small 60 mirrors. I really dislike the small mirrors as far as function goes. I'd been contemplating doing the exact opposite and getting the larger mirrors. Do you like the view better with the new ones? Do you like the small mirror look?

Well, My reasoning is because the PO managed to bondo over the stock holes and drilled new in a weird place. I put the 62 mirrors on and they wouldn't lineup at all. I didn't want to drill more holes so I bought OE mirrors and installed that way. I don't mind the size, these trucks have such large windows I can see most everything. For towing I could definitely see the benefit. If you get them, get OE Toyota, much better quality than aftermarket.

Ran cleghorn yeaterday with my buddy. Extremely impressed with How the truck performed. Dropping to 20psi and no lockers worked surprisingly well barely any wheelspin all day.

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

20170805_170428.jpg

20170805_192507.jpg

Pulled the plugs on the truck to see how she is doing. I put in this set right after I bought the truck at 151,735 miles. So this set has 13k on them in about 8 months. Over time I fixed a handful of vacuum leaks, made mixture and idle adjustments and drove constantly. Now that I am almost where I am happy with vacuum and overall performance, I figured I would do another plug change and see how they look for the next 10-15k.

Not overly excited or upset. Once I stop being lazy and do a valve adjustment among the other things I spend my time on, I might go synthetic from my usual Rotella. Curious how clean I can get these.

Some days I consider doing seafoam...I've never really seen a huge benefit of doing it personally, rather just wait and pull the top end off for a refresh.

IMG_1215.JPG

Also, @perrobravo is one of the reasons I enjoy this group more than almost every other owners group yet (early 911 dudes are very similar to this place). Thanks again Jeff! Look forward to meeting one day.

He was kind enough to send over a pair of chrome T caps for my rig. They showed up today and were in better shape than I could ever imagine. Gave em a quick polish and tossed on the truck. These are a huge improvement over the black items. All I need is the new lug nuts to show up and I'm as happy as a clam.

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

Finally sat down in the garage after moving and did a little work. First on the list was a valve adjustment. Went nice and smooth, truck purrs along now and successfully found my remaining 2inHg. The lightest needle bounce still, but when cold it holds solid at 22, so I suppose something to look into, but otherwise smooth.

While I had the distributor cap and rotor off, I decided to look and see if the bushing on the mechanical advance was there. Of course it was gone and bits floating around so I decided to run out and get the aluminum spacer that was recommended by @CLove and @Slow Left (both who don't seem to be active here any longer), #8, 1/4"OD x 1/4" H.

Popped right on with a couple taps of a hammer and long rod. Got it started up, adjusted the distributor back to 7* and we are looking good. Curious if I'll see much difference at the pump, but nonetheless, a nice little repair.

Besides that, my AP plunger boot was leaking so I decided to take the carb top off and do a quick clean up. OEM AP plunger and boot (pictured is the old plunger which was replaced when someone had rebuilt the carb prior) then readjusted the float and AP stroke.

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for posting all of those part numbers, very helpful. The radiator overflow bottle 16480-90A00 listed for the 80 series is it the same approximate dimensions as the original? I have a v8 conversion and in some areas space is limited. Thanks

Thank you for posting all of those part numbers, very helpful. The radiator overflow bottle 16480-90A00 listed for the 80 series is it the same approximate dimensions as the original? I have a v8 conversion and in some areas space is limited. Thanks

16480-90A00 is the 60 series overflow. Do you mean the cap? I used the 80 series cap and it is essentially the same as the 60 series except for the black cap and the pickup tube is soft.

16480-90A00 is the 60 series overflow. Do you mean the cap? I used the 80 series cap and it is essentially the same as the 60 series except for the black cap and the pickup tube is soft.
Sure that's what I meant.

Actually I thought the reservoir was discontinued for the 60 but always happy to find out something is still available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom