TJM T17 Bumper is coming Back! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Being someone that always buys American-made if at all possible, I hate to see any business being taken away from companies that offer American-made products... especially micro businesses owned and operated by a single talented fabricator. But in this situation I think we're comparing apples and oranges. A TJM bumper customer (assuming a $700-$800 MSRP) is probably someone that would not want to or never be able to spend $2k on a bumper. Personally speaking, this TJM bumper would already a stretch for me. I think it just gives an option to the crowd that isn't even part of Dissent's, TT's, Slee's, etc, customer base.

I think a head to head test video is in order when it releases. :popcorn:
This.
This would be awesome!
Having one of Ben's bumpers I don't doubt the result either ;)

@benc, I started this thread to share the information with the MUD crowd that TJM was bringing the T17 back ....my intent was not to start a debate regarding the US fabricators VS Imports. I also thought that @shanester made great points on how he positioned his company to thrive in the face of competition. That being said you don't have a link in your signature to your bumpers and using search for Dissent front bumpers your thread appears on page 6. I was looking for this picture as it represents your craft and passion and just might be my next purchase.. now just make it easier for one to find you and you won't miss a beat.

image-jpeg.1385346

For a little perspective consider how many folks don't buy anything at all to mod their 100 series because the "Entry Cost" for a bare bones front bumper is $1200+? Rear bumper? $2500+. Sliders? $900+.

I'm a huge car-mod guy, but I'm nearly in the category of people who struggle to justify the costs of 100 series mods. Modding 100 series vehicles is expensive as hell. A set of decent bumpers and sliders is $5k. Tell that to a Wrangler owner and they'll laugh all the way to their bank... which still has funds in it because their bumpers and sliders cost half as much as ours. Some low-end offerings don't hurt the 100 market, but may actually strengthen it because some less "hardcore" and/or wealthy people can have fun modding the 100 and get into the hobby/lifestyle. Mods which, for many other platforms, can be bought for 50% of what 100 series owners face.

The more options the better, at any price point, made anywhere. The 100 series doesn't suffer from high end offerings (we've got Slee, Ben, Trekboxx, ARB, etc...) - it suffers from a lack of anything but high grade stuff. I say that as someone who proudly sports Slee sliders on my 100 and who has a Dissent front and rear bumper on the top of my wish list. ;)

I'm excited to see how this TJM resurgence plays out and it's super neat to see an inside engineer contributing to the conversation.

A 10% increase on the T-17 from 2006 prices is wishful thinking on anyone part.
In 2006, they sold the bumper and the winch cradle separately. I think ~$535 for just the bumper. So, perhaps the $750 is not including the winch cradle.

sleeoffroad.com
circa 2006...

tjm.jpg

TJM is just responding to the market. We get calls all the time asking about the T17. So, based on that input, it was decided to re-introduce it to the market. The only reason it was discontinued was that TJM had a fire in Australia several years ago and all the production data was lost.

I understand the manufacturers concerns. I too used to work for an American Made company. That company moved out of state and eliminated my job. I love working for TJM now. They have been in the Bull Bar business in Australia for over 40 years. They have a team of about 15 engineers in Australia who are all very knowledgeable and great people to work with.

I'm also an enthusiast. Although, I don't drive a 100. I still drive a 3rd Gen 4Runner.

I dont know if this will hurt the 100 market. Im on the boat where we need more fabricators and companies building products for us. I drool over @benc DISSENT bumpers every time i see one. Same goes for Trail Tailors sliders; gorgeous.

Its not that i cant afford the bling, but i have little ones i would rather spend the money on. I also dont rock crawl or do anything more than medium obstacles.

That said, im supporting a startup fabricator in my local area who's building my sliders. I already want him to build me a winch plate. This may be a perfect bumper for me as i dont do serious obstacles as others and may not need the extra steel or thicker material. My wife an i really like the SLEE Blueberry, but no way are we spending that amount, just not necessary.

just my 02.

What DISSENT and TT are doing for the 100 can only make things better. I hope they catch the eye's of other companies and they start being more competitive with their pricing and products.

I really liked my rear TJM bumper I had on my 99, very well built bar.

As far as bumpers go, it's like anything, you buy what you can afford. Some folks can't come off $2700 for a Slee rear bar so they have to figure something else out if they want a heavy bumper with swing outs. On my last build I went with a local guy who built my rear bumper, front bumper, sliders, and roof rack for what I would have paid for one Slee rear bumper. Is the quality the same? hell no but it works for what I need. This is a weekend trail rig for me and I built it under a tight budget because I still have kids in college and my wife would kill me if I spent almost 3 grand on a bumper. This may not be the correct analogy but I have a couple friends who like to bass fish, one has a 21' Tritan bass boat that he spent $70,000 on and he has $10,000 of electronics on it. Another friend has a 17' Bass Tracker that he bought used for $8000 and has a $500 fish finder. They both catch fish and have fun doing what they enjoy. Matter of fact, the guy with the bass tracker is a better fisherman......LOL

This is my Bass Tracker :)

I'll put this out there as well,

I have no problem with supporting tjm as they do offer great products!
Just not at that price point, I feel the deciding factor for the consumer should be function and what best fits their needs and tast, not price, if all prices were similar this would remain the deciding factor.

I have no experience with either Bumpers. I wish i had experience with one of the bad ass products that you make benc. i am one of the new guys. I do agree that price should not be so important. But like it or not , it is. Thats why i spent 11000 on a 1999 instead of 50000 on 2014. Engineering is all about compromise. There will still be a market for the type of protection that you build. But if i cant afford it i appreciate that there is another option, im not forced to keep the oem plastic crap simply because i cant afford the more expensive options.

As far as the whole overseas market argument goes, (im from michigan so you know where this is going). I was raised on domestic car production. My family was not happy that i bought a toyota let alone a toyota for offroading. Sometimes competition is good for the market.

Thanks to everyone for this thread. It's a classic challenge - you could take these four pages and hand it to a business class for study.

I would just affirm the point that, while there could be some initial market capture from our domestic startups (hopefully very little), the most likely segment to (as others have pointed out) purchase this bumper is the owner that would not consider spending more than (picking a number here) $800 for a front bumper. TJM grows a market from this whole class of customers. But then the addiction starts, and the guy that spent $750 (who wasn't going to spend anything) starts looking at other add-ons. It happens. And eventually, some of these guys - like me - get educated about the differences in production, fitment, performance, and they say OK, I'm taking that tax refund and swapping that TJM out for what Ben and a few others build so beautifully. I watched it happen, albeit in a different industry.

Subbed to first out more info. I'm in the group where I really want to support people from this forum and the 100 series community, but I also do not have a lot of disposable income that isn't already tied up in trying to get debt free.

The outer shell is 3mm or 1/8" and the mounting brackets are all 5mm. The winch frame is a separate part.
TJM has a few different bull bar models already available. They can be viewed on the website: www.tjmusa.com

Here is a picture of the internals.
View attachment 1417696

The plate in the middle is a filler to be used if no winch frame is installed. Helps keep rocks out of the radiator.

I have heard the AHC suspension crowd favors this front bumper as the lowest weight unit available...

How pertinent....? It is Sunday and I happen to be sitting in a hotel, waiting to be at Slee to pick up my Blueberry first thing in the morning. I really did follow this thread closely. I did a cross country trip and planned my swing by Slee on the way home for a reason. I really do like seeing these places in person. I read this thread and came away saying these are Apples and Oranges. A 1/8'' bumper should not be compared to a 3/16" like they are equal.
That being said, I do enjoy the relationship using "local" guys. Trail Tailor built an awesome roof rack for me...I love it and he is a great guy. Joe Williams, out of Tennessee, built my rear bumper...super build and great guy.
And now, I look forward to seeing the Slee shop....knowing good and well they wont be as excited to see me as I will be to see them.

This car hobby is a great thing...no losers. We all win for doing what we love.

How pertinent....? It is Sunday and I happen to be sitting in a hotel, waiting to be at Slee to pick up my Blueberry first thing in the morning. I really did follow this thread closely. I did a cross country trip and planned my swing by Slee on the way home for a reason. I really do like seeing these places in person. I read this thread and came away saying these are Apples and Oranges. A 1/8'' bumper should not be compared to a 3/16" like they are equal.
That being said, I do enjoy the relationship using "local" guys. Trail Tailor built an awesome roof rack for me...I love it and he is a great guy. Joe Williams, out of Tennessee, built my rear bumper...super build and great guy.
And now, I look forward to seeing the Slee shop....knowing good and well they wont be as excited to see me as I will be to see them.

This car hobby is a great thing...no losers. We all win for doing what we love.

Glad everything went good with Joe, please post some pics when you get time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom