TJM T17 Bumper is coming Back! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Luke111

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I was going through @paulbgardner epic build thread a few days ago and at the bottom of page 10 The Road to a 100 and 2001 build thread
his truck is at TJM getting a prototype of the the new T17 installed with side wings that have to be attached.
I really like the clean simplicity of this bumper which prompted me to call TJM USA Distribution Centre and they confirmed the bumper is coming back and just a few months away from full production with a couple of changes from the prototype. It will be a full wrap around bumper ...no wings to add and a new powder coat finish....winch plate is extra. The change in the wings was due to shipping cost. Initially the plan was to box and ship UPS and you attach the wings but they found shipping a completed bumper on a pallet is cheaper.
The first bumper with be air freighted for a final fit test and display and then the first run of 25 bumpers will arrive and followed by as many as needed.

t17_LX470_450_1.jpg
2016LCbuild-46.jpg

Last edited:
If the price is right they will sell a ton of these. Always liked the blade bumper.

That is awesome I have been impressed with the TJM products I have handled so far and am in the market for a front bumper for the LX

Last edited:
Is TJM staying in the US? I thought that was part of the reason for the fire sale on their lockers. They've had a rough history with distribution stateside.
Only they can answer that question ...one would think if they were pulling the plug on US distribution every product would be on sale and not just lockers.

Is TJM staying in the US? I thought that was part of the reason for the fire sale on their lockers. They've had a rough history with distribution stateside.

Only they can answer that question ...one would think if they were pulling the plug on US distribution every product would be on sale and not just lockers.

I would imagine they wouldn't be introducing any new products either.

subbed

They are steel...there is a MUD member who is making a version out of aluminum but is not on the market yet

Aluminum armor bumpers? Never heard of such a thing. Do they use similar gauge aluminum to save weight and sacrifice a lot of the protection? I'm intrigued and confused all at once.

Aluminum armor bumpers? Never heard of such a thing. Do they use similar gauge aluminum to save weight and sacrifice a lot of the protection? I'm intrigued and confused all at once.
Really? I've seen them all over the place. Popular for lots of other vehicles but there aren't many options for the 100 series that I've found.

When I've seen them, they tend to be a slightly heavier gauge than their steel counterpart and around half the weight or so. Probably not the best solution for a dedicated rock crawler, etc... but GREAT for overlanding and expedition vehicles that need protection but would benefit from the weight reduction. I've heard they can be really tough.

TJM reminds me of the hot girl who ignores your calls 'til her boyfriend dumps her. A couple years ago, trying to get any info on their bumpers for the 100 was just about impossible. Some shops had a few of their ARB/Ironman copycat bumpers, but no one knew if and when they could get their hands on the T17 (or whatever they called it then).

Since then, a handful of highly-skilled fabricators have emerged in the 100/'mud community - creating amazing products developed for, not adapted to our 100s - bumpers, sliders, racks, grilles, drawers... Give a lot of thought to where you send your money. The more we support these guys, the more 100-specific product development we’re likely to see.

DSC_0171.jpg

I love love love the prototype. They are swapping it out for a production one when the first comes in. It's steel but very light. I can pick the whole thing up with one hand. It has no impact on my front ride height or handling. It's perfect for me, I didn't need a tank bumper. Just something better than plastic tub that could carry a winch and look halfway stock. I definitely had input on the changes to the prototype and also going to a single piece bumper with the wings. The bolt on wings were just stupid. I'm very happy with it. I smile every time I look at my truck.

LG7_6479.jpg

Two big areas that needed improvement were the top plate of the bumper following the grill profile and the separate wings. They tried to adapt an 80 series gasket to hide the seam but it just looked terrible. I won't hide that I got this for free but I still think it's a great option. I agree there are many other options out there. I'm a big fan of the dissent Offroad bumper. That was the direction I was headed until this deal fell in my lap.

IMG_6810.JPG

TJM reminds me of the hot girl who ignores your calls 'til her boyfriend dumps her. A couple years ago, trying to get any info on their bumpers for the 100 was just about impossible. Some shops had a few of their ARB/Ironman copycat bumpers, but no one knew if and when they could get their hands on the T17 (or whatever they called it then).

Since then, a handful of highly-skilled fabricators have emerged in the 100/'mud community - creating amazing products developed for, not adapted to our 100s - bumpers, sliders, racks, grilles, drawers... Give a lot of thought to where you send your money. The more we support these guys, the more 100-specific product development we’re likely to see.

DSC_0171.jpg

I don't have any history in purchasing or trying to get information regarding TJM products until yesterday and my first call was to the distribution centre and they gave me the scoop.
I personally think the Dissent front bumper is the best looking and comes in more variations and may very well end up on the front of my LX but I know the TJM T17 will fit the bill for many on MUD and you could probably add a winch for the cost of some of the available 100 S bumpers ...will work just fine for those looking for a bumper.
Doesn't sound you had a great experience in your quest for information but if you feel the need to vent and piss on TJM start a new thread.

I love love love the prototype. They are swapping it out for a production one when the first comes in. It's steel but very light. I can pick the whole thing up with one hand. It has no impact on my front ride height or handling. It's perfect for me, I didn't need a tank bumper. Just something better than plastic tub that could carry a winch and look halfway stock. I definitely had input on the changes to the prototype and also going to a single piece bumper with the wings. The bolt on wings were just stupid. I'm very happy with it. I smile every time I look at my truck.

View attachment 1416014

Thanks for your input ... I love your bulid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom