The Holy Grail - 2F crate engine - un boxing (2 Viewers)

Do you believe that there are still new 2F engines out there

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Liking the pictures Howard Carter.

So, it's not a US spec motor as there are not any air pump holes in the head.

Also, I thought that the "replacement" motors didn't have serial numbers? The one I have in my 40 does not have any.

So, it's not a US spec motor as there are not any air pump holes in the head.

Also, I thought that the "replacement" motors didn't have serial numbers? The one I have in my 40 does not have any.

I think that is just replacement blocks. This is a full engine.

Replacement blocks don't have SN. A complete engine has a SN.

McLain, please get pics of the top of the cyl head. All the numbers on the top will decode to a date and configuration.
Also get a pic of numbers on the side of the block, below manifolds. The small #s found towards rear of block are casting date.

That my friend is almost certainly an NOS long block from around 35 years ago that has cosmetically suffered from less-than-ideal storage. What a score.

I'm sure CDan can still get those.

The part # on the crate is a world market 75-78 2F. Definitely not configured for the tiny US market, note the missing heater outlet, no AIR fittings, no oil cooler pipe bolts...

It is built 81-later, note the screw on oil cap, dented side cover and PS mount holes. It's prior to 85 because no 3F manifold bolts.

What a great find, rats and all!

Bringing it back to the US or running it there?

If you are going to swap out with your current engine I think you should go Chevy Small Block crate engine and keep that one for conversation piece and investment. Who knows what it will be worth in the future. Besides SBC is more desirable and reliable. ahem.

What's weird is that the guys exporting from Aus send 2F's back to the Mid East.

According to information snagged from the 2F thread, 778847 falls inbetween 759197 in a 8-83 FJ40 and 707428 in a 1-84 FJ40.This dovetails nicely with Jim's observations.
The part # on the crate is a world market 75-78 2F. Definitely not configured for the tiny US market, note the missing heater outlet, no AIR fittings, no oil cooler pipe bolts...

It is built 81-later, note the screw on oil cap, dented side cover and PS mount holes. It's prior to 85 because no 3F manifold bolts.

See post 373 in this link to access the spread sheet: 2F serial number info...

Last edited:
Major score..................so the BIG question. Where did you find it??? I would imagine Middle East/ Pacific Rim?

Being a 35 year old NOS motor what measures should the OP/owner take before the initial start up?

If you are going to swap out with your current engine I think you should go Chevy Small Block crate engine and keep that one for conversation piece and investment. Who knows what it will be worth in the future. Besides SBC is more desirable and reliable. ahem.

The guy I got it from also has 2 350 crate engines if anyone is interested

IMG_3469.JPG
IMG_3470.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom