The Holy Grail - 2F crate engine - un boxing (1 Viewer)

Do you believe that there are still new 2F engines out there

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Major score..................so the BIG question. Where did you find it??? I would imagine Middle East/ Pacific Rim?

Got it in the Middle East. In KSA

What a great find, rats and all!

Bringing it back to the US or running it there?

Haven't decided on its future. But keeping it in the crate for the foreseeable future. There are plenty of 2fs around here but not many in a crate.

Being a 35 year old NOS motor what measures should the OP/owner take before the initial start up?

In view of the fact that the ports were not covered and the fuel pump mount was not covered I would probably pull the oil pan at a minimum to inspect the crank, sump and so-on. I would also avoid turning the engine upside down until the pan has been removed. If the bottom end looks good I'd bore-scope the upper cylinders. If those look good I'd pre-oil the hell out of it and carefully rotate it by hand.

I would go a little further than C-Dan. When I changed dealership suppliers in 1992, my sales rep offered me a really good deal on what was left of a warranty crate motor.

They had acquired what they said was the last stateside motor as a warranty replacement for the next to last motor, which had failed under warranty. Cause? Main bearing caps fell off!

You'd better believe they checked the last one. Sure enough, caps were not properly torqued on it either.

If and when I decide to sell if I every do it wouldn't be for anything less that $50,000 or around there.

SO YOUR SAYING YOUR NOT SELLING IT HAHAHA

SO YOUR SAYING YOUR NOT SELLING IT HAHAHA
Lol no. That not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is everything has a price, and every price has a buyer.

While it's kinda cool. The nicest of cruisers only pull in 100k. So that being a crate motor, would value it at around 15k. If u could get more, more power to u. But u can have a 2F rebuilt for around 5k ishwith modern seals and bearings, and have it balanced with modern machines, and will run much smoother than a 30 year old built motor. So your looking at a small market of individuals who want it just for some sort of originality sake. But if u put it in a cruiser for originality sake, then it won't be numbers matching, so it's a catch 22.

If and when I decide to sell if I every do it wouldn't be for anything less that $50,000 or around there.
Sorry, but I think that's a little high now that you've had the fun of taking off the wrapper and playing with it. It's not "new in box" anymore.

While it's kinda cool. The nicest of cruisers only pull in 100k. So that being a crate motor, would value it at around 15k. If u could get more, more power to u. But u can have a 2F rebuilt for around 5k ishwith modern seals and bearings, and have it balanced with modern machines, and will run much smoother than a 30 year old built motor. So your looking at a small market of individuals who want it just for some sort of originality sake. But if u put it in a cruiser for originality sake, then it won't be numbers matching, so it's a catch 22.

if it was available today to buy from the parts dealer new. how much is it listed for ?

Sorry, but I think that's a little high now that you've had the fun of taking off the wrapper and playing with it. It's not "new in box" anymore.

hahaha. it was the only way to know whats in there. so i'm afraid i don't follow you logic. i didnt buy it from the dealer and had to check. plus i only pulled the cover didnt do anything else. :moon:

You know what I think I was being a bit cheap before.

If I ever sell it, it will be closer to $100,000.

Bah! FJ Company sold that Copperstate restoration for $176K! If they can market cruisers that well and entice those kind of buyers... there are people out there willing to do a true blue restoration with a NOS motor for 10's of thousand of $. $50K is a bit high if you ask me... but then again I was completely flummoxed by the price on that Copperstate build.

i think everyone is missing the point. its not what the cash value of it that matters.

what matters is that we as a community found something that was regarded as a rarity. lets enjoy that and stop talking about the paper value of the damn thing.

Bah! FJ Company sold that Copperstate restoration for $176K! If they can market cruisers that well and entice those kind of buyers... there are people out there willing to do a true blue restoration with a NOS motor for 10's of thousand of $. $50K is a bit high if you ask me... but then again I was completely flummoxed by the price on that Copperstate build.
Wow I had no idea. That's a ton of money. Anyway it is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing what's inside the crate. I was very curious to see what was in there. It would be cool in a museum. I wonder if Toyota would be interested in putting in their factory museum in Japan?

:cool:
Wow I had no idea. That's a ton of money. Anyway it is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing what's inside the crate. I was very curious to see what was in there. It would be cool in a museum. I wonder if Toyota would be interested in putting in their factory museum in Japan?

I would think Toyota would have a few.

But maybe I could lend it to a TLC museum somewhere in the world for a few years.

As mentioned before not planning on selling it. But the more people talk about the price the higher that goes :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom