How much would you pay for a 2UZ swap 'kit? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If the price is 15K that's about right but for about that you could put a Cummings 6bt P-pump using the 343 tranny and change your final drive . The milage and power are worth it and you saved a bunch of money . I bought a Cummins 6bt for 1900 had the head redone $300 +gaskets a adapter is $5100 comes with intercooler hoses and torque converter. I think being a purists is nice but I want my FJ 80 to be greatly improved in HP and milage . I also spent $200 on Powder coating because I want color in my engine bay . Good luck with the idea I hope you sell these but I'm seeing more of a PITA than a hot selling product

You have excellent reading comprehension skills
i comprehended your post just fine, i was just giving my opinion, restating the thoughts of many others...

@jetranger If I swap a motor, I need to get more gears out of the deal. If you can get a 2UZ swap kit for the 5 speed auto for around $4-6k (price of supercharger), that would be something I would do. Higher than that, maybe.

a broad torque band makes the need for more gears WAY less urgent..

I see that the VVTI version is drive-by-wire. So you'd need the pedal cluster too, or maybe just modified gas pedal.

Not that big of a deal, lots of people tackle this with LS/vortec swaps.

I have heard that japanese auto makers are more aggressive about protecting their ecu coding. Bastards.

Probably not any more than Benz, and elsewhere on this board is a guy in Kazakhstan (IIRC) that found an ex-soviet aerospace engineer to help him remove all of the unnecessary stuff in one of those ECUs for a diesel swap into his 80.

Not that those guys grow on trees, nor are cheap.. but the point is it can be done with the right people involved.. and sometimes those people come from surprising places.

why cant we do a 5.4 from a ford f series?

We could, if someone would build an engine-trans or trans-transfer adapter. This has already been done for a few GM transmissions which is probably the main reason most people go this route. That and the GM engines being better :hillbilly:

Awesomely well even after some 'test' clutch dumps on bitumen. For research only of course.

well now that's my ultimate setup.... a 5.3 or 6.2 in front of an H151F will be the goal... how's the gearing? this might deserve it's own thread

on the american powerplant note! why cant we do a 5.4 from a ford f series? I like fords better than GM.....had a few and they sucked balls!

On a serious note.....kudos for people that are trying to keep the powerplants in the same family!
you jest, but i'd stay away from the mod motors for the same reason i'd not be interested in the 2UZ, enormous OHC packaging and really not that great efficiency-wise... besides eating bits of sparkplug...

i love the idea of a V8 in my cruiser, but the 2UZ is a GUZZLER compared to the LS, and makes less power, and is only marginally more reliable...

seems like this thread really separates the purists from the pragmatist...

Hmm it would be worth contacting this yard and getting pics of this 2UZ. $15k of turbo work.... Lol

image.png

Ford coyote engines are VERY wide V so likelyhood of it fit nicely under the 80's hood is low. Not sure about truck triton engines though but no one seems to make conversation kits for anything but he LS.

LS on the other hand is called a small block for a reason and people got them into Miata and RX7 before so there will be no issue physical fitting wise.

Last edited:
i comprehended your post just fine, i was just giving my opinion, restating the thoughts of many others...

No, you didn't. I never once stated I would even consider making a GM swap kit. So, saying I should start out with that one first, as if I was contemplating which one to do, makes no sense. This thread was clearly started to find out if there was a demand for a UZ swap kit, and if so, how much it would be worth.

For some reason, you feel the need to keep telling everyone how much better the LS is. I'm glad you like them. I don't.

Last edited:
so going back to the discussion.....how much would this cost?....

well now that's my ultimate setup.... a 5.3 or 6.2 in front of an H151F will be the goal... how's the gearing? this might deserve it's own thread
Pretty good. I run part time 4WD and reduction gears in the TC with 315/75's and std 4.11.s Haven't adjusted my speedo yet but on GPS speed 99kph its about 2250rpm in 5th both on the OBDII and corrected tach. 1st is great it will light 'em up if you want in the dry and stretches to about 55kph, by which time most of the the poor old turbo diesels are grabbing 3rd so you've left them in their cloud of soot 2 gear changes behind, heh heh.

3rd gear is a an awesome overtaking gear going out to about 130kph, right in the zone, passing traffic at 90kph roll on acceleration is startling plus the noise..... Bonus points lol.
I tow 2 tonne regularly at 90-95 kph in 4th (direct) at about 2300-2400 rpm just loping.

In low with a 3.0 TC, 4.11 diff and about 4.5 1st gear it pulls stumps easily. 3rd low is a great gear for bush work and grunts up anything if its not rutted or chopped out.

In Aus there's people at the workshop going 'take my money' for these conversion drive in drive out but a lot of people do it themselves, have a look on the Australian 80 100 105 LS conversion FB page and you'll see lots of us doing backyard too it both auto 4 and 6 speed auto plus a lot of H151's like mine. There's a short vid of mine going through the gears in there somewhere from a year or so ago. Not a drag car but then it's a standard engine too, no mods bar the zorst. It dynoed at 197rwkw and should still be grunting in 10 years time I hope.

I'd be interested in a kit in the $3k range. Might also be good to offer some things a-la-carte. I can fab up a cross member and engine mounts easy enough but would pay for a wiring harness done just because I don't have the patience for it.

For what its worth I'd focus on selling the parts that are custom made. Off the shelf stuff like radiator hoses would be better to just provide part numbers and let people get them locally. Keeps kit costs down and saves shipping. Some people like the one stop shopping but it won't be long after you sell a few of these that the part numbers will be widely available anyhow.

Nice to see someone investing time in making cool stuff for these trucks.

If the price is 15K that's about right but for about that you could put a Cummings 6bt P-pump using the 343 tranny and change your final drive . The milage and power are worth it and you saved a bunch of money . I bought a Cummins 6bt for 1900 had the head redone $300 +gaskets a adapter is $5100 comes with intercooler hoses and torque converter. I think being a purists is nice but I want my FJ 80 to be greatly improved in HP and milage . I also spent $200 on Powder coating because I want color in my engine bay . Good luck with the idea I hope you sell these but I'm seeing more of a PITA than a hot selling product

:deadhorse::redface::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::moon:

I'd be interested in a kit in the $3k range.

My guess is what is shown in the post #1 would add up to about $3k. I'm not sure if everything is needed or not. Just quickly looking over it and ball parking what I think things should cost.

A couple questions for @jetranger :

*why does the tranny x member need to move? Is the A750 whatever that much shorter or longer? I don't know what custom drive shafts cost, but $350 a side seems to be about the lowest I've seen (tatton). Some serious $$$ could be shaved if stock drive shafts and x member can be reused.
*would a new fan shroud need to be made?
*Where would second ECU be stored and will brackets be supplied to mount it?
*will you be sourcing new electrical connectors and rebuilding a harness from scratch? Or just moving wires around and re taping? I assume you would require a core for the harness at a minimum....

Just going through my head some of the hurdles I need to get over with my GM swap which may apply here.

I would be interested in this kit. Ive also considered rebuilding and a supercharger for my lx450+ chinook project. I have an odd noise that i can't diagnose and if a new engine is needed I would consider a Toyota V8 swap over an LS. I would want it well documented-meaning buy this year engine, this year trans, and all the additional little parts. Thats the nice thing about a supercharger- you don't spend half your time figuring out additional parts. you buy it and bolt it on. Your build was awesome and I think you already did a great job of documenting so maybe just providing a condensed version. As for pricing I would want it similar in cost to rebuilding and a supercharger if keeping stock Trans. I have a 2006 lx470 and love the V8. Its more than enough power. I have the vvti obviously but have driven a regular 2uz and I still like the way it runs. I would prefer a v8 over the supercharger for simplicity and engine room space. I don't like the engine all cluttered up and the supercharger seems to be right on the fence for running hot in some rigs.

Try www.car-part.com. Usually they have plenty.

Just did some search in CL again and found a 2UZ with tranny at a reasonable price.....but only one from entire LA area with unknown history. Will keep an eye peeled for more 2UZs and this might be more feasible than I first thought.

Just did some search in CL again and found a 2UZ with tranny at a reasonable price.....but only one from entire LA area with unknown history. Will keep an eye peeled for more 2UZs and this might be more feasible than I first thought.

I assume youre looking for a complete pull out motor.

Just off the top of my head from helping a buddy do his timing belt in his 4 runner - AC is on opposite side(LH), alternator is on opposite side(RH), ps pump is on opposite side(RH).

The alternator should be addressed with the harness. @jetranger already said he would be taking care of the AC lines. So the question if power steering lines would be included or not? If so, hydraulically pressed or braided line? Also, are the hoses to be Dot approved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom